shopping for a new Tacoma

Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
bcconner is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Ben
bcconner's Tacoma Gallery
shopping for a new Tacoma

Hi,

I'm shopping for a new Tacoma. I am interested in a standard 4 cyl 4x2 Access cab footprint (w/ probably the SR5 package) but also would like a display similar to what comes as an option on a double cab Prerunner 4x4. Would also like the backup camera but that's not going to happen either. I'm dispappointed Toyota doesn't offer the camera as a separate item given that it's a safety feature.

Are there aftermarket drop-ins for a display screen that could integrate with a smart phone? That would suffice for my purposes, as I could use that for navigation, etc.

Thanks!

--Ben
Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of after market head units will work, you might also think about picking up a factory head unit display on here.

Edit: factory wont give you GPS I would start here for aftermarket
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/....html?tp=20212
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Air Force:
Excellent site. Thanks!

--Ben
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
mbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura aboutmbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Matt
mbrogz3000's Tacoma Gallery
There are tons and tons of head units to pick from. Don't waste money on the Entune or a stock unit with satellite radio or the stock 6-disc changer. Put that savings towards an aftermarket head unit, backup camera and speaker upgrade. The aftermarket head units are starting to shift towards requiring a smartphone for playback, as they have no cd slot! Not too sure about the headunit pulling navigation via smartphone though.

Backup cameras are will probably become standard for 2014, but that doesn't help you much right now.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
easler24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
easler24's Tacoma Gallery
Camera

I have the stock backup camera. It is pretty sweet. I didn't think before I got it that I would use it as often as I do. It is so easy to back up to a trailer tongue with it.

I also have a touch screen head unit and it is awesome. It's a Sony 660???. Bluetooth ready, works great with my iphone, and navigation is included on it. (TomTom, it is actually quite annoying so I rarely use it.)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
My SR5 had backup camera
Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
My dads 2010 sr5 has a back up cam and doesn't even have fog lights
Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by easler24 View Post
I have the stock backup camera. It is pretty sweet. I didn't think before I got it that I would use it as often as I do. It is so easy to back up to a trailer tongue with it.

I also have a touch screen head unit and it is awesome. It's a Sony 660???. Bluetooth ready, works great with my iphone, and navigation is included on it. (TomTom, it is actually quite annoying so I rarely use it.)
Which model Tacoma did you get? The brochures suggest you can only get that with the 4x4 dual cab.

--Ben
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrogz3000 View Post
There are tons and tons of head units to pick from. Don't waste money on the Entune or a stock unit with satellite radio or the stock 6-disc changer. Put that savings towards an aftermarket head unit, backup camera and speaker upgrade. The aftermarket head units are starting to shift towards requiring a smartphone for playback, as they have no cd slot! Not too sure about the headunit pulling navigation via smartphone though.

Backup cameras are will probably become standard for 2014, but that doesn't help you much right now.
Other than the site already suggested, do you have any you recommend, or models/mfrs?

Thanks!

--Ben
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
easler24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
easler24's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 double cab TRD off-road. The camera is built right into the handle of the tail gate. It's pretty well hidden. Not a big problem seeing in snow or rain either thus far. I have only had it since October though.