1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to buy a taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chevy2169, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Dec 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    chevy2169

chevy2169 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys. I'm new to the tacoma world, and don't know much about them. I've been dealing the with the jeep world the past several years. The wife wants me to get rid of the jeep because it just isn't practical or very safe for our newborn. Before anyone says it, I hate the four door jeeps, they just seem ridiculous to me. The reason I'm considering a Tacoma is:
    1. Available with four doors (better room for kids than a two door jeep)
    2. I've heard nothing but good things about reliability with Toyota trucks
    3. I need to be able to haul stuff on a regular basis
    4. My daily driver has to be a 4x4

The list goes on but the main points are those. Three things that it must have are four doors, a manual transmission, and four wheel drive. I've been looking at both the SR5 package and the TRD package. I'm unsure which one I should get. I'm wondering what the major differences (if any really) there are between the two. I'm mainly interested in knowing which one is better for hauling and towing, instead of four wheeling. I'll be towing a mid size four wheeler (quad) to the trails with it.
    Also, a new one is a bit out of my price range, so chances are (unless I find a killer deal) it'll have to be used. What are some key things to look for on used tacomas. Anything specific to the brand that I should keep my eye out for?
    I want to point out that I probably will not be lifting the truck. I'm sick of sacrificing ride and handling for a few inches of clearance. I will probably add a winch bumper and warn winch to it because it's always been a convenience on my jeep to have one.
    Any suggestions on years to look at? What about mileage? Is 80,000 to 100k miles too much? I've heard that these things make it to 500k on rare occasion.
    Thanks in advance for the replies. It'll be a little while before I'll be able to buy one, but this time I want to do my research on everything before I make a decision.

2. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Maintenance receipts are everything.

3. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    chevy2169

chevy2169 [OP] Member

Member:
    Very true. Part of me wants to wait a bit longer and go brand new, but that could potentially be a year or so from now. Decisions...

4. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    so it sounds like you need an sr5. it may save you a few bucks when you buy used over either trd. any taco would haul your quad with ease, bed space is usually the key with the four doors. try and find a long bed.

trying to find a long-bed 4x4 6-speed may prove difficult. any of those one features makes for a rarish truck. combining all three of those features means much internet time looking for a truck.

as far as years go, i bought my 08 with 75000, all original parts as far as i can tell, and it is flawless. i changed plugs and oils as soon as i got it just in case and that is about all you can do. there is much talk on the manuals on which years are better and all kinds of this and that but mine gives no grief. there is also a guy on here with an "older" truck (07 i think) that has put over 300k on the original clutch without issue. i believe they are all good trucks if you use it within its limitations and dont expect it to be a Bentley.

and coming from someone who drives the manual, and has spent some time with the automatic, i sometimes question my decision to go with the 6-gear. the auto delivers better fuel mileage, and somehow they made it so that there is LESS to mess up. believe it or not, the auto is apparently a fine piece of machinery that really delivers.

but, if your like me and just have to do it the hard way, the 6 speed works fine in my case, but be warned, it is unlike any transmission I have ever encountered. both deserve a test drive. good luck

5. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    joe98

joe98 Member

Member:
    Hey chevy,...welcome to the forums. I'm new also, and don't even own a Tacoma(yet). What I will tell you though, is that these things hold their value on resale BIG TIME ! I'm up in Ontario, Canada, and occasionally visit the local Toyota dealer and every time he's got one that's about 3-4 years old it's only about 5-6 grand less than new(roughly. So, I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and buying new. I'm already decided on a TRD Sport with the long box. I was looking at the new F-150's as their on sale right now for a Super Crew fully loaded to the hill for only about 5 grand more than a Taco...but what kills me is the value of this truck in about 3-4 years old. So....well you catch my drift. Good luck with your decision.

6. Dec 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    advantages of sport/off road over SR5

Sport - Color matched bumpers/mirrors and a pretty hood scoop. Power outlet in bed

Offroad - Rear locking diff Power outled in bed .

If none of that stuff means anything to you then youll be ok with the SR5 package

7. Dec 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    chevy2169

chevy2169 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the great info. I've been looking at both, but I know eventually I'll be disappointed with an automatic. Just my stubborn side coming out. Long bed or short bed doesn't matter much to me. Like I said earlier, I may bite the bullet and try to save for a year or so to get a brand new one to call my own. Although, being a mechanic, a used one sounds financially better if I can get it cheap enough. Again thanks for the info.

8. Dec 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    chevy2169

chevy2169 [OP] Member

Member:
    A rear locking diff would be really nice from the factory. I won't be wheeling the truck much, but having that piece of mind back there is definitely a good thing. I'm not sure about tacomas but in the jeep world, installing an aftermarket locker in the rear can get expensive. Not sure if you can do that in the yota rears. So again, another option to consider. Thanks.

9. Dec 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    a REAR LOCKER does seem pretty cool until you realize it can only go up to 10mph

it can also get expensive with the lockers for the tacoma

10. Dec 19, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    chevy2169

chevy2169 [OP] Member

Member:
    10 mph? That's a bummer.

Thanks for the great insight man. I'm definitely looking at dealerships. I like the idea of new, but if the right used one comes along, then I'll be all over it.

11. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    Tookie

Tookie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Port Vincent, LA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Sport
  12. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    tacomeontherange

tacomeontherange this ain't no picnic

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    frame rot / rust is an issue. multiple threads on here and elsewhere about post-2004 frame issues. so if you go for a used one you need to have it inspected in all areas.

1st gen had a buyback / replacement program from TMC, this is not yet the case with 2nd gen.

13. Dec 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    They aren't as much as ridiculous as they are impractical. If you have ever tried to climb into the back seat you would understand.

I would test drive the 6 speed manual before ruling out the auto. It's a love/hate thing for most Tacoma manual tranny owners.

14. Dec 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    I might be wrong, but the trd should have different (more comfy) seats than a Sr5.
    But coming from the jeep world, like i did, you ain't too worried about comfort and will be pleased wither way.

another thing to consider, (I got a 1 and 3 year old) is that the truck won't haul much baby gear unless you get a cap or waterproof cover. I got the wife an Odyssey after i figured that out so I'm set.

15. Dec 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Both TRD packages come with a lot more bells and whistles than what has been listed. Yes they do include sport seats which are more comfy and have better fabric.

My TRD OR package also included leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, back up camera, Down Hill Assist Control (DAC), Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), A-TRAC, Bilstein Shocks, 16" alloy wheels, 265/70 stock tire size, A/C power outlet in bed and more. There are other upgrades also, but not sure if the others are included in the convenience package or not.

16. Dec 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    mirraman

mirraman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner Limited 4X4 e-locker :-)
    99 4Runner springs all around: 1" over factory.
    I had mine going quite a bit faster than 10MPH (try 45) at the dunes at Pismo Beach. Not saying anyone else should do it, but I did and it still works perfectly.

17. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    StormTrooperTaco

StormTrooperTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco TRD Sport DCSB
    Plasti Dip Wheels GY Duratracs 20% Tint all around
    I was under the impression, unless you do the grey wire mod, above 10mph it auto disables the locker.

18. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    SitkaSpruceMica

SitkaSpruceMica Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TC
    SE Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4 I4 Auto AccessCab
    Rates are low right now and Toyotas hold thier value extremely well. You might consider a new truck with a longer term such as 84mo. The difference in payment can make it affordable and at the rates right now it won't cost that much extra over the term imo. Basically you have stated the need for 4 doors and a manual transmission 4x4. Look for the most base model new truck with those features and pull the trigger.

TC

19. Dec 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    SecondGenDave

SecondGenDave Member

Member:
    My taco is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It's fun, practical and just feels solid going down the road. I dont plan on ever getting rid of it. Mine is a non-trd 4x4 SR5. 6 speed manual, sport mesh seats, color matched bumpers/handles/mirrors, leather wrapped wheel and shift knob and has an outlet in the bed. :shrugs: I didn't mind the non-trd because it already had a lift when I bought it so things were upgraded. Figured the only thing I was missing out on was the locker but I could always add that later if I wanted. My buddy had a first gen non-trd taco and never had issues getting stuck so I wasn't worried.

Bottom line...you wont be disappointed in any model you purchase. Just be ready to fall in love and never go back. :)

20. Dec 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    chevy2169

chevy2169 [OP] Member

Member:
    This is true. haha. My wife has a volvo for hauling the kids and baby stuff.

I think I've decided to wait and pull the trigger on a new one. I'm gonna need to wait a bit longer and save some for a down payment though. Good things come to those who wait right?:)

Products Discussed in

To Top