1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

would you guys rather have a Taco or cummins....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ryanf, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Dec 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    in your situation i would get a cummins, just because if you plan on working it over its life, I feel like the tacoma would take a little more of a beating than the dodge would. Meaning, tacoma has to work harder

2. Dec 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    ryanf

ryanf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    That's my thought. The Taco would do what I ask of it, but its going to be working at 80% all the time where the Dodge will only be at 30%. But I did the math.

Considering gas, insurance, registration, and maintence. The cost of the taco will be roughly $4211 a year cheaper to run. So even Lets say five years of ownership. The dodge would have worked less, but will be a little more beat up. They don't wear as well, my froends 2009 the itnerior is already beat up and awful. Everything is loose inside. So after five years I could probably still get $12000 for the taco, and have saved 21,055 in operating costs. That's 33K. Sure the dodge may have another easy five years left, but the taco Im sure would have done it and now I can get a new one.

As for leasing, my accountant said its not worth it at all, I could pay cash, but he said finance, since I have the money there is no worry, And can get a good rate. Leasing sucks too because I will dent and scratch this thing, and after all of those payments and insurance I have nothing but a write off.

After weighing everything and costs, it's down to a Tacoma, Tundra, or F150. Id rather the tacoma, but the fords are cheap right now, and will do what I want albeit not as fun. The tundra will holds its value, but its so expensive off the bat.

3. Dec 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    GoHuskers

GoHuskers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2012 White DCLB TRD Sport
    i may have to disagree with you here because I can buy a new Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4 for the same dollars amount as a new TRD 4x4 DC OR/Sport.

4. Dec 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    ryanf

ryanf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,

I Never priced the tundra's just did it on toyota and it wasn't cheap.

However, I did just get an Email from a dodge dealership with the set up I want, new 2012, 3500 miles ( dealer used it to run around), bed a little scratched up, and small dent on rear bumper. They can get it to me out the door, tax, tags, for $31,000 ( NYS has almost 9%) tax.

5. Dec 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    i would say screw the new motor and get an 05-06 5.9. that would save you a ton of money over a new one and those 600 ft-lbs are nothing to laugh at. the 6.whatevers are a bit more powerful from factory, but the 5.9 also saves you all the emissions b.s. i dont think the 5.9 even has an egr system. sweet motor. and the nv5600 that came behind it, i think would be fine behind a semi.

plus, if you get an older one, you dont have any new surprises. you know it leaks oil out of every component including the axles, and thats just that lol. no waiting around to see whats going to mess up, cause if you find one with 100k or more on it, everything that could leak already does. gotta look on the bright side

Products Discussed in

To Top