1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cant decide...Which Taco to get from carmax

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by uhmmmar15, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Dec 19, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    ElTacoCaliente

ElTacoCaliente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Ram Power Wagon ST
    At those prices- BUY NEW!!! My brand new 2013 Access Cab 4x4 SR5 was $29k out the door and that's with $1000 in extra warranties! (either one of those Carmax ones will be about the same price (for a used truck!)- their listed price is prior to tax, tag, and fees) When I got mine, they actually said I could get a double cab for less (since they had tons of them and were willing to deal) but, I wanted a manual (all the double cabs were auto) so, I went with my access cab. I've seen people get much better deals than I did on 2013s too! For an automatic, 2wd, double cab, I would bet money you can get brand new similarly equipped truck for about the same price as those used trucks! Then, you don't have to worry what the PO did with it, and you'll get a new car discount on insurance (at least I did).

2. Dec 19, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    When I was on jury duty in April I talked to a guy who worked there. He said they rush cars through there. The techs are only allowed 30 minutes to look over cars that are brought in, not near enough time to give it a thorough inspection. Anyway, just what I heard from someone who works there....

3. Dec 19, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    I just got a 13 DCSB Sport 4x4 w/ entune for $32k, I didn't price a new sport without entune or a prerunner but I would guess it would be around $28k-$30k. Just something to think about.

4. Dec 19, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    This is what I was going to say too...

At least when you buy new, you know you aren't buying someone else's problems.

Also, since you said you plan to finance, you can often get lower interest rates on new cars -- which could easily offset any price difference.

5. Dec 19, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Ford Raptor (I'm a traitor)
    X2... I had a coworker buy from carmax and he said his interest rate was 15%!!! And they told him "that's not bad, some people are like 20%-30%... Eff that! You can prolly get 3%-5% at the dealer...

And I've tried to trade 2 cars into them... One I bought rand new and they tried to tell me there was an accident reported, an I owned the thing since the day I drove it off the lot. And I bought another one and looked at the carfax with nothing on it, then tried to trade it in there and they say there has been an accident reported... They're crooks there...

6. Dec 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Jay9722

Jay9722 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    South carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab 4wd
    I couldn't agree more. Pay 5k more for a brand new truck with everything you want on it and I bet Toyota Finance will get you a much better loan than Carmax will on a used truck. In the long run and the short term it will cost you less per month.

7. Dec 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Mpgillespie

Mpgillespie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    13 PreDCSB Stormtroopen Taco
    You can negotiate a good deal with the dealer. My truck was $30,900. I paid 27,000 for it, got above avg trade value for my car, and got them to pay my tags,title, and license fees $950.00. I also negotiated for a week and walked out a several times.

8. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    J Rod

J Rod Loves Sammiches.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Where theres more livestock than humans.
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJC
    16x8 Method NV Wheels, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Axe/Shovel Mount for Roof Rack, Tuffy Light Mount, Rigid Industries 40" LED light bar, Husky Liner floor mats, TT Blackout all around.
    You can't negotiate with Carmax. They have no haggle pricing.

9. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    1ToughTRD

1ToughTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    (gone but not forgotten)
    Carfax isn't always accurate either. I just traded my Tundra in on a Tacoma. I was worried about pushing the trade in price on my tundra because it had been in 2 accidents. Well low and behold when that truck hit their lot, the carfax did not list either accident on it and they were selling it as a CPO. Local dealer, not carmax, and no blame to them, as I didn't disclose the accidents when trading. They only listed it for $2K more than they gave me for it, so I think I did pretty well. And I got the '13 Taco TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB for invoice. I will never trust a carfax report. Also, one repair was at dealership, and one at a local body shop.

10. Dec 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    uhmmmar15

uhmmmar15 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Uhmmm
    Texas
    Now that you guys say I get buy a brand new taco for a couple grand more, I am going to start looking around at dealers! I didnt think it was going for that low...

11. Dec 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    Yeah man. You can find deals out there but you have to shop around. Get a few dealerships working for you to save you money on you new truck. Tell one dealer that the other is throwing in running boards and such. You would be surprised at what the will offer!

12. Dec 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    Since when did the SR5s start coming with radio controls? Did this start on 2012 models? My TRD OR doesnt even have radio controls :(

13. Dec 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    Mpgillespie

Mpgillespie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    13 PreDCSB Stormtroopen Taco
    If your military or a USAA member, they have a car buying service that helps with getting a very good price. They have networked dealers through the website.

14. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    uhmmmar15

Member:
    First Name:
    Uhmmm
    Texas
    Well I use to work at toyota for about year and half as quick lube. Im gonna see if my old GM can work something out with me...One more question Is right now a good time to buy I am guessing yes because they need to get rid of 2012 and make room for 2013 right? Sorry im such a rookie im only 20 and if all goes through this will be my 2nd car...What should I bargain for TACO 2012 $25k for SR5 tax fees title included w/ 2% interest will they give me that low of a interest even if I dont have any credit And what are the pros and cons of putting a bigger down payment? Sorry for all these question I dont know shit when it comes to negotiating with dealership I only worked the service dept! Also is there any other hidden fees or any shenanigans the salesman will pull on me?

15. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    I would buy new at those prices. I got my '12 dc TRD sport prerunner down to $26,400 before my trade, after my trade I was around $13,000 otd. I wouldnt buy from carmax, we bought my wife an '08 Saturn outlook from there, a couple weeks later she said it was acting funny & since it still had factory warranty we took it to GM, they said it had 3 broken motor mounts so we went back to the dealer where I got my truck & traded it in on a '12 Camry SE. I don't like GM anyway.

16. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    uhmmmar15

Member:
    First Name:
    Uhmmm
    Texas

HOLY SHIT! That cheap??? I need to hit up couple dealerships quick! how much interest you paying? Or you paid straight cash?

17. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    I've seen sr5's here for around 23-24 starting price, your interest will depend on your credit & more money down means less you owe & lower payments. For me Financing 13,000 my payments are like $240. Don't be afraid to walk away if you don't like the deal they want to sell it as bad as you want to buy it.

18. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Im around 7% & it was that cheap because of my trade they gave me $15,500 for my '05 Ram & it was payed off. I financed the $13,000 for 6 years to get my payments as low as I could & I went through my credit union.

19. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    go new

btw Toyota is currently offering 0% for 36 months...and a point or 2 more for 48/60 months.

20. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah me & my wife's uncle went to Toyota to look for him about a month ago & they said 1.9 for 60 months.

Products Discussed in

To Top