1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 v6 synthetic or not?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mugmarine, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    catgrader

catgrader Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jack
    maine
    Thank all of you for the input on my 2012 tacoma towing. we have the tow package and the weight is well in the limits. I have run ford 360s, 351s, 330s, etc on over 200k with havoline 10-30 and never had a problem. So i think i will stay with non syn. oil. thanks to all, catgrader.http://i.twstatic.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

2. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    rmepilot

rmepilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    '23 LR DCSB TRD OR 4x4 Premium Pkg
    2019 Jeep GC Summit 5.7l '15 DCLB S/C 4x4 Limited Pyrite Mica - Deceased
    I couldn't agree more.

I run Mobil 1 w/ Wix filters every 5k, on both my '01 325i (230k miles) and '02 4Runner (260k miles). Both cars are still running strong. Same interval on my wife's '13 Durango Citadel. Once I buy a '14 Tacoma, I'll continue the process on it, w/ Mobil 1.

Yes, the synthetic oil will last longer, but the filters won't and honestly, why take a chance. Preventative maintenance usually pays for itself in the long run. :cheers:

3. Apr 1, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    geoff w

geoff w Well-Known Member

Member:
    malibu
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma 4x2 SR5
    I just sold my old 1988 Toyota pickup. It only had 206K miles on it, but I put Mobil 1 15w50 in it since shortly after I bought it new. I changed the oil ever 5K miles and never needed to add any between oil changes, even though after that over 200K miles and 26 years, the seals were moist from slight leaking

The discussion here sounds just like on Porsche forums - Mobil 1 is crap, long oil change intervals, etc. Mobil pays manufacturers to recommend their oil, whether it's Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, Cadillac, etc. Before Mobil 1, Shell paid Porsche to push their oil as factory recommended. From reading things like BITOG and talking to mechanics, all the oils today are OK as long as you stick with manufacturer's oil change interval recommendations

I spend a lot of time talking to my Porsche mechanic buddy, who is quite the skeptic. Here's what I've picked up from him over the years: The push to longer oil change intervals is from the Government; they want less oil usage and to reduce consumption, so less oil to dispose of. Car makers go along because it's the Government and they can tout less expensive car operating costs. All car makers are in the same boat. From his discussions with Mobil 1 techs at Porsche training, the synthetic oil doesn't break down, but the additives do, the filters can only filter crap for so many miles before they stop doing a good job filtering. If you replace the filter, drain and filter the oil and add fresh additives, a synthetic oil should last forever if you don't go beyond the operating characteristics (e.g., overheat the oil and burn it). For all that effort, you might as well just do an oil change and call it a day

In the grand scheme of things, I view oil changes as cheap insurance. I keep my vehicles a long time, and my goal is to make the cost of fill ups or oil changes exceed depreciation. After 26+ years of my old truck (I'm in California), I also noticed when I went for smog tests, the emissions numbers were lower if I recently had an oil change compared to if it had been almost 5,000 miles. I only sold it because the rust was getting so bad it leaked everywhere when it rained and I couldn't talk on my phone over 40 MPH because all the body rust holes whistled so loud

For my new Tacoma, I plan to change the oil every 5K miles with Mobil 1. I was astounded to see in the maintenance manual the recommended oil weight is only 0w20, but figure that's just so Toyota can meet fuel economy targets and has nothing to do with what the engine really needs.

4. Apr 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
  5. Apr 1, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
  6. Apr 8, 2015 at 4:29 PM
    catgrader

catgrader Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jack
    maine
    What are the best shocks for my Tacoma? I never take it off road just drive and do pull a travel trailer!!!thank you!

7. Apr 8, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
  8. Apr 9, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder