Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Please help identify Clunk, Pop Click...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
TwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to all

Name: Kyle
TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
Please help identify Clunk, Pop Click... **FOUND**

I bought the truck about 3 weeks ago its a 2013 it has just over 500 miles on it and this clunk has developed around 50 miles, its been driving me crazy. (sounds like a tinny metal hitting tinny metal not think metal like a leaf pack)

From inside the cab it appears to be coming from right below the cab on the passenger side somewhere (around the area the camera is mounted)(but not 100% its this location)

what i have done sofar..

1- removed spare tire (wound fit lugs or size anyways).
2- tighten all leaf spring bolts+ put rubber tubing in between each leafsping hoping they were clacking together(no luck).
3- sprayed jel lube into all bushing on leaf springs.
4- tightened all u bolts.
5- checked all bed bolts.
6- banged on everything with a rubber mallet with no luck isolating this sound.
7- checked to make sure exhaust wasn't hitting anything, did not appear to be.
8- checked all heat shields and catalytic converter

Now you may wonder why i don't just take it to the dealer... well when i had my 2010 i took my truck in for a squeaky blower motor and ended up needing half the side of my truck repainted, witch ended up looking like an orange when they finished it. im really trying to avoid bring it to them at all costs, so here i am hoping some of you can help me out.

http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/...7c3bf.mp4.html

http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/...3320a.mp4.html

http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/...bd3fd.mp4.html
^^If you watch the video it starts clicking at 23-24, 32, 36, 45, 2:14 seconds^^
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Rock in the tire ?
Gerbils in the glovebox ?

How about a little more info OP
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
TwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to all

TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
coming from rear, no special speed only when going over bumps, occasionally it seems like when i take off in the morning i hear some sort of resonance of this noise like its in the exhaust.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Rock in the tire ?
Gerbils in the glovebox ?

How about a little more info OP

i had these rims and tires on my old truck never herd this noise before, haven't been dismounted since
Old 12-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Soon to be west coast
11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC1(SW/SS) Non Lethal Weapons Instructor Former STS SUBMARINES
Name: Jay
11TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzteD View Post
coming from rear, no special speed only when going over bumps, occasionally it seems like when i take off in the morning i hear some sort of resonance of this noise like its in the exhaust.
Drive shaft carrier bearing a possibility? I say that only because you mention the resonance sound. Id check the carrier bearing.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRD View Post
Drive shaft carrier bearing a possibility? I say that only because you mention the resonance sound. Id check the carrier bearing.
x2
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

no carrier bearing on a reg cab? straight from trans to rear diff no bearing in between.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
your in NJ.. there has to be another dealer close by.. its a brand new truck.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
rear shocks loose?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
From the video, it seemed to only do it on bumps?

Could be a bad shock. I had some new ones put on my Grand Cherokee years ago and had two separate ones make noise like that shortly after they were new. Shop replaced them both times and it cured the noise. They weren't loose either, just bad shocks.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Buff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 64C10
Name: Buff
Buff's Tacoma Gallery
Chain for the spare tire?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #15

TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
yea only happens on bumps the shock bolts are tight if i try to tighten them the whole shock spins,( i purchased this truck from a different dealer, but i still dont trust them, i got free oil changes for 2 years or 25k but i'm not letting them touch my truck unless i absolutely need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Chain for the spare tire?

ziptied up i checked that also

btw from inside the cab it apears to be coming from right below the cab on the passenger side
Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Soon to be west coast
11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC1(SW/SS) Non Lethal Weapons Instructor Former STS SUBMARINES
Name: Jay
11TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzteD View Post
yea only happens on bumps the shock bolts are tight if i try to tighten them the whole shock spins,( i purchased this truck from a different dealer, but i still dont trust them, i got free oil changes for 2 years or 25k but i'm not letting them touch my truck unless i absolutely need to.

ziptied up i checked that also

btw from inside the cab it apears to be coming from right below the cab on the passenger side
So this happens going over speed bumps? I had a similar clunk sound when going over speed bumps and it ended being the damn mudflaps scraping.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #17

TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So this happens going over speed bumps? I had a similar clunk sound when going over speed bumps and it ended being the damn mudflaps scraping.
Yes happends on speed bumps as well. This is definatly a metal sound or atleast a solid plastic like the bed if any.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Bro do you even 'Merica?
jdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
jdk52's Tacoma Gallery
look underneath and while a buddy jumps on the rear and see what is shaking?

Products Discussed in this Thread