Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Custom Ski Rack Brackets

Old 12-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynch View Post
Rough estimate, nothing to hold you to. Just a ballpark figure.
I'm thinking like $45 each plus shipping. Hardware would be included.

The design would change slightly. They would be made of steel, powder coated gloss black.

Instead of two holes, they would have long slots running the length of the bracket to accommodate anything you want to bolt to it (ski rack, bike mount, whatever).
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #22
JoeyBones is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
JoeyBones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
I'm thinking like $45 each plus shipping. Hardware would be included.

The design would change slightly. They would be made of steel, powder coated gloss black.

Instead of two holes, they would have long slots running the length of the bracket to accommodate anything you want to bolt to it (ski rack, bike mount, whatever).
I would probably be IN for 2 or maybe even 3 of these... I've been looking for a way to use that Yakima Mega-Warrior Cargo Basket I have laying around. Three of these bars (I'd need to buy another set of cleats) would work just great..... Hmmmm.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Crew29 is on a distinguished road
Crew29's Tacoma Gallery
My rack

Hey guys, nice job on the cross bars. Loving all the different setups... Here's a few pics of mine. They're from during the build process with my cell, and its a prototype. I've got a number of improvements to make on a 2nd rack if I ever get un-lazy enough to build it. I also haven't got pics of the finished prototype cause snow season started here and I'm busy using it.

My everyday board is a 156cm, and it fits in the rack in the down position (45 degree angle) with the tailgate up. If I ride a longer board, or go with skiers, the rack sits up level with the bed and they overhang the tailgate. My trucks a dcsb. Not pictured (cause they we're built yet) are the two brackets that hold the rack in the up position. the forward one mounts in the cleat rail with t-bolts and the 2nd is flush on the tailgate using existing fasteners that hold the plastic trim piece on.

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, I really like seeing the op's bars and use of the tie down cleats. I'll keep that in mind for future products.

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Ski Rack Brackets-rack2.jpg   Custom Ski Rack Brackets-rack4.jpg   Custom Ski Rack Brackets-rack5.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #24
SodakTaco will become famous soon enough
SodakTaco's Tacoma Gallery
These are awesome! If you ever get around to producing more of these, I'd be in for two of them. Looks like they'd be plenty sturdy enough for a pair of bicycles too.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #25
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodakTaco View Post
These are awesome! If you ever get around to producing more of these, I'd be in for two of them. Looks like they'd be plenty sturdy enough for a pair of bicycles too.
It's definitely happening.

My company is buying a High Definition Plasma, and we're installing it in January.

I'll wait for that to be installed so the parts are of the highest quality. The new machine will cut much more precisely than our standard definition plasma.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #26
IKMtacoma is on a distinguished road

IKMtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
check out my signature for my bed rack / basket build. i made something similar with a basket also.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
I would be in for a set of them for my truck but instead of the Thule ski specific rack would it work with the Thule universal flat top ski rack? My wife skis and I snowboard so I have to hold both. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Pete View Post
I would be in for a set of them for my truck but instead of the Thule ski specific rack would it work with the Thule universal flat top ski rack? My wife skis and I snowboard so I have to hold both. Thanks!
It might take a little retrofitting to get that particular rack to work, but anything is possible.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #29
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
I think I am ready to lock in. Let me know. Hopefully you have these before I buy a cap. Thanks. Charlie
Old 12-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
Here is the redesign:

Now we have slots that run the length of the bracket, so virtually anything can be bolted to it.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
I would definitely be in for one especially if you have it set up to hold more then one pair of skis and a 2 mt bikes, well at least 1 bike.
You might be able to get three fork mounts for mountain bikes on there, as long as the one in the middle has different frame geometry to keep the bars from interfering with each other.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #33
jvdimaiolo is on a distinguished road
jvdimaiolo's Tacoma Gallery
I would also be in for 2 as well. Design looks great. I have a 2010 double cab 4x4 and looking for a solution for mounting a ski rack (and additional bike mounts as well). Let me know if you have a final price yet!

Thanks,
Jim

Quote:
Here is the redesign:

Now we have slots that run the length of the bracket, so virtually anything can be bolted to it.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #34
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, I am in!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #35
Shigs is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Shigs's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be in for 2 also
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #36
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Is a race against a cap for me. Cap in before this, but no need. No cap and I will need. Sucks just having snowboards in bed of truck. Can't go or stop any where.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #37
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynch View Post
Is a race against a cap for me. Cap in before this, but no need. No cap and I will need. Sucks just having snowboards in bed of truck. Can't go or stop any where.
swa ?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #38
pauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Paul
pauldotcom's Tacoma Gallery
sub'
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #39
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
flyerdrew21 is on a distinguished road
flyerdrew21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not a fan of roof racks, and I wanted a way to keep my ski's secure in the bed, so I whipped up these little beauties.

The brackets utilize the factory cleat system. They were cut from stainless steel on a CNC plasma table.

The racks themselves are from Thule. I bought them on eBay for $40, used.

Man those are SWEET! Nice job! I found a INNO RT102 setup on craigslist, or I'd def be in for yours. Can't have the skis in the bed unlocked and sliding around on other pairs also in the bed!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #40
Lchap12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lindsay
Lchap12's Tacoma Gallery
Ski rack rail help.

Nice set up man! How did you install the rails to the side of the bed with the plastic bed cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550kawirider View Post
Nice job OP. here is my version, Rhino Rack system on the bed rails. nice truck BTW.