Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Custom Ski Rack Brackets

Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
KB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Ski Rack Brackets

I'm not a fan of roof racks, and I wanted a way to keep my ski's secure in the bed, so I whipped up these little beauties.

The brackets utilize the factory cleat system. They were cut from stainless steel on a CNC plasma table.

The racks themselves are from Thule. I bought them on eBay for $40, used.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
wow man, solid stainless, nice work, that came out great! nicely done, CNC makes all the difference in the world. some of us put roof racks over the bed to do a similar set up.

this truck looks familiar, are you in VT?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
KB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
wow man, solid stainless, nice work, that came out great! nicely done, CNC makes all the difference in the world. some of us put roof racks over the bed to do a similar set up.

this truck looks familiar, are you in VT?
Thanks man.

I'm in western New York. I wish I was in VT right right now!!
Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
nice setup!

where in WNY are you? i’m going up in about a month. going to go to holiday valley and snowboard.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, looks good!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
nice setup!

where in WNY are you? iím going up in about a month. going to go to holiday valley and snowboard.
Nice!!

I live at Kissing Bridge, but I skied at Holiday for their opening day last weekend.

We've got a big storm coming. You should be in good shape for your trip.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
Nice!!

I live at Kissing Bridge, but I skied at Holiday for their opening day last weekend.

We've got a big storm coming. You should be in good shape for your trip.
nice. i got family in the hamburg/eden area. i think me, mom and my brother and his GF are all leaving jan 19th. iíll be in the taco. so keep an eye out for a taco with TN tags and a tacomaworld.com sticker on back window.

and sweet hope you guys get another before i come up. i cant wait to snowmobile have not rode in almost 6 years.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
nice! looks good!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Nice Rack!

I did something similar also for carrying a small Yakima cargo basket & my sand tracks on the other side.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder if this rack could just be twisted off with some help from someone else. Not that I want your did taken, I don't. I am very interested and think the function is great. I just want to know if some one could potentially steal my skis or snowboard. I personally think that would be perfect. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynch View Post
Wonder if this rack could just be twisted off with some help from someone else. Not that I want your did taken, I don't. I am very interested and think the function is great. I just want to know if some one could potentially steal my skis or snowboard. I personally think that would be perfect. Thanks for any help.
Without the skis in there, you could probably loosen the knobs on the cleats enough to twist it off, but with skis in there, and the rack locked, I doubt you could twist it off.

You could, however, loosen all the knobs, then slide all four cleats off the back of the rails. This would take four people though. They would all have to be slid at the same time, and they do not slide easily.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
i got family in the hamburg/eden area.
I grew up in Eden!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where there is a will there is a way. Locks only stop honest people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
Without the skis in there, you could probably loosen the knobs on the cleats enough to twist it off, but with skis in there, and the rack locked, I doubt you could twist it off.

You could, however, loosen all the knobs, then slide all four cleats off the back of the rails. This would take four people though. They would all have to be slid at the same time, and they do not slide easily.

I was thinking the same thing. Skis should keep the bars from twisting even with 2 people trying to grab them. Looks good to me.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Making anymore?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Quote:
Making anymore?
If there was enough interest, I would whip up another batch. I'd want it to be enough to use up a whole sheet of steel though.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Wow, nice set up, that rack looks familar.
Thanks again
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man. I was just thinking of something like this during the week. We went to Big Bear in CA. Rained and sleet on us ugh. Very nice bracket though.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Rough estimate, nothing to hold you to. Just a ballpark figure.