1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS and Traction Control

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mattvt, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Dec 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    mattvt

mattvt [OP] Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '13 Black Cartruck Taco
    Truxedo Lo-Pro QT PopnLock Tailgate Lock WT Digifit
    Hey All - do you know if when the TPMS light is on, whether it turns off traction control or anything like that?

The reason I ask is because I will be getting a 2nd set of rims for my snow tires (so I can change the tires over myself). I don't really want to pay the extra ~$200 for the TPMS sensors for my 2nd set of rims. If its just an annoying light and won't pass inspection, then no big deal, I can deal with that and get my car inspected in the summer. But if it effects traction control or disables something else, than that could be a problem.

Thanks!

2. Dec 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    ColoradoTaco

ColoradoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boulder
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OFFROAD
    dummy light does not affect anything else. You can open the dash and remove the light. There a write up somewhere in here on doing just that.

3. Dec 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    mattvt

mattvt [OP] Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '13 Black Cartruck Taco
    OK great. I saw the thread about turning the light off (and the ones on how to remove the bulb). Light doesn't bother me, just wanted to make sure it was tied into other systems electrically.

Thanks!

4. Dec 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    one more thing,just make sure you do 1 rim at a time. Put the sensor back in the same position it came from. (driver front goes to driver front) Any switch can possibly make you have to relearn the system,not expensive but it does cost extra.But Tpms light wont affect anything else than tire pressure

5. Dec 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    mattvt

mattvt [OP] Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '13 Black Cartruck Taco

So you are telling me that I can't rotate my tires on my own without having to relearn the whole system?? That seems crazy. Or am I misinterpreting? I plan on driving my winter tires without TPMS and then come spring, change out for the factory tires/rims with TPMS. Are you saying that come spring time, I need to make sure the rims go back to the same location they came off?

Then what do you guys do when you rotate your tires?

6. Dec 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    seksilumpia

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    no that not what i meant..just make sure you mark the tires from where they came from. (i didnt know you were going to ride winter without sensors installed,thats perfectly fine. The light is just annoying to me) You can rotate the tires just fine,but now its front to back. A cross rotation may cause you to relearn them. For example, after you install your new sensors and it comes time to rotate them,make the fronts go on the back and backs to the front. We have done some cross rotations at my tire shop and it did make the light appear on the dash.Front to back rotations are very common now and from what i read in training sounds almost like thats how manufacturers want them done now. Before Tpms you can rotate them how ever you please.

7. Dec 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    mattvt

mattvt [OP] Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '13 Black Cartruck Taco
    Ok, I see what you mean. I guess if they are directional tires, I'd have to do this anyway! Thanks for the information and clarification!

8. Dec 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I don't know where you get your information from but no part of any of your last 2 posts are even remotely true... You can put the sensor in any wheel, the system does not have to 'relearn' a damn thing. You can also rotate your tires in a criss cross pattern if you choose and the system is fine. The Tacoma Tacoma TPMS system does not know (or care) which sensor is in which location.

9. Dec 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    seksilumpia

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    i know you can install a sensor in any rim but you should put it back at the same location or in the rotated position to avoid a system relearn. i actually do tpms system relearns at my shop. im trying to help prevent the OP from spending any extra money..sorry my .02 cents ruined your day bro

10. Dec 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What exactly do you think the system is relearning?? The Tacoma computer does not distinguish which wheel the sensor is located in. My old man's Chevy does, it will pick up a tire pressure difference and display which tire is low on the dash and there is a reset process that you need to go through when you rotate the tires. The Tacoma does not have this. There is nothing to relearn. The system will simply tell you that you have a low tire and puts it on the driver to figure out which tire is low. If someone tries to sell you on charging extra for a 'relearn', you got ripped off and if you charge extra for a relearn at your shop on a Tacoma, you are ripping people off.

11. Dec 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have winter 4 tires on rims, i change them every fall and then put the summers back on in the spring, i"ve never had a problem, i usually change front to rear and rear to front trying to keep even tire wear, no issues

Products Discussed in

To Top