Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

60k Service/Transmission Fluid Change - Only Genuine Toyota WS?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
kgorczyn is on a distinguished road
kgorczyn's Tacoma Gallery
60k Service/Transmission Fluid Change - Only Genuine Toyota WS?

Hello.

I'm new to the forums - think I will be hanging out here quite frequently. Great Community!

My GF has a 09 Tacoma V6 PreRunner 2WD. She is about to hit 60k miles and the dealer wants over $600 to do the service (60k Service)

For the transmission fluid - do we need to use the Toyota Fluid or has anyone been running any Mobil/Valvoline/etc fluids from the local auto zone or what not?

What about Differential Fluid?

Any other tips for the 60k service?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
cheese'd out of my mind
Tuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tuckerhump's Tacoma Gallery
Check this thread out. it gives a great breakdown of what is required at the 60k service. The link in the first post also has DIY how-to's which are very helpful if you want to keep the costs down.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...000-miles.html

The charge is probably high due to changing the spark plugs
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerhump View Post
Check this thread out. it gives a great breakdown of what is required at the 60k service. The link in the first post also has DIY how-to's which are very helpful if you want to keep the costs down.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...000-miles.html

The charge is probably high due to changing the spark plugs

Thanks for the info. Great Collection.

Now just need info on the transmission fluid as it's not in that list
Old 12-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer told me that the WS fluid never had to be changed and that I had a sealed transmission. That bothers me an when I asked how much to change it 'just because' they said $500-$600
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
cheese'd out of my mind
Tuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tuckerhump's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a Prerunner Automatic Transmission diy..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgorczyn View Post
Thanks for the info. Great Collection.

Now just need info on the transmission fluid as it's not in that list
Use Toyota's fluid for the transmission.

For the differential, use the weight specified in your Owner's manual but you do not need to use Toyota fluid for that. Mine takes 75W-90 and I used Valvoline synthetic. I'm not sure if yours takes the same weight or not.

I bought the Toyota plugs for my 30 and 60k mile service and changed them myself. It's a pretty simple process and there is a writeup on how to do it.

The rest of it is pretty self explanatory, air filter, cabin air filter, grease u-joints (not sure if you can on the 2wd), rotate tires, change oil and oil filter.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Do you guys suggest a transmission fluid drain/refill or a full blown flush?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you guys suggest a transmission fluid drain/refill or a full blown flush?
I do a drain and refill at 50k miles but I've owned it since new so I know it hasn't been beat on. If it was used, I might go for the full flush.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I was told once that a full flush not necessary just flush/fill. I have 124k on mine with original fluid. pondering what to do with my AT. want to do something soon.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Thanks guys... for those that did the drain/refill how many qts? If it makes a difference, this truck has the tow package.

I believe the full flush is like 13-14 qts.... at $8 a qt that adds up quick!!
Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Good351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to behold

Good351's Tacoma Gallery
I have 94,000 on my taco. I bought it new, and I tow a boat almost every weekend in the sumer. I just had the tras fluid changed (full flush hooked to the machine). I know the guys at the dealership very well (I work on their archery equip) so they always shoot me straight answers.. they said the fluid was starting to get a bit dirty and it was definatly tme to change.
I paid $245 for the trans fluid change and a oil change / full car inspection.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
Have you guys that have done this also replaced the Tranny Filter?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, and I wouldn't bother with it. It's just a metal mesh screen and it's buried inside the transmission. It's not meant to be a servicable part so I wouldn't mess with it unless you feel you have a good reason to.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
Good351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to behold

Good351's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Same as Pugga said..
The guys at Toyota also told me that the trans screen does not need to be replaced..
Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #16
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
As posted a lot of folks use the Toyota WS fluid. I did not and went with Mobil1 atf.

I did some research prior to deciding and decided in my opinion the WS is not that special and other fluids with better specs for less money exist.

Someone posted Amsoil, also I believe Valvoline but it may be another is also Toyata WS rated. Redline has fluid also. Mobil is not WS rated.

I also drained and filled the rear diff with M1, plus grease my front wheel bearings with M1 grease, also flushed the oem power steering fluid and used M1, coolant I got rid of the stinky Toyota Pink and went with Peak Global (that got rid of the constant coolant smell on shutdown).

Spark plugs I replaced and installed Denso Irridium fine wires or something like that.

PK