1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Front CV Axle Boot Leak (4X4)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NuTacoma18, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Dec 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    NuTacoma18

NuTacoma18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 4X4 MGM w/Tech Pkg.
    I just noticed I had a leak coming from my front driver side drive cv axle. It's the boot closest to where the slip yoke enters the differential case on a 4X4 TRD OR DBL. Has anyone experienced this yet? The dealer advised that it was improperly installed from the factory. Thanks

2. Dec 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    I would get them to fix it ASAP a 2013 shouldn't be doing that already

3. Dec 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    NuTacoma18

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    That's what I thought. It only has a slight leak and I only noticed because the truck sat for a couple of days. If it never sat for a couple of days who knows if I would have ever noticed it before it burnt up. Only 2,700 miles on it.

4. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    NuTacoma18

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I really need some help here. The dealership took in my truck and replaced the inner boot of the front 4X4 CV Axle (the side where the yoke slips into the differential). I picked it up 2 days ago and the leak is back. Now, I was under the impression that there was only packed grease inside these boots but it appears I may have differential fluid leaking into the boot somehow. The grease they showed me looks like the same color of the differntial oil so I am a bit confused. I am not sure how this is possible and if someone can tell me if this is possible I would appreciate it. The dealership seemed stumped. Maybe you all can attach some pics of the input side of the CV axle that I can look at from an axle that has been removed. Can fluid from the differential enter the inner boot. All pics that I have seen show a sealed axle on the input shaft side. If it would leak you think the leak would be where the axle enters the differential. Below is a pick of the oil on the floor from where the boot is leaking and the other pic is where the boot is leaking with commentary. The dealership has now ordered an entirely new CV shaft, but I want to make sure this will fix the problema nd that I do not have a bad seal inside the differential.

Thanks,

James

photo.jpg
    photo 2.jpg

5. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Sounds like there is a bad seal around the joint. From what I remember after replacing a friends CV axle, the splined joint is fitted into the diff. The grease that goes into the boot is much thicker and goopy, and usually black or brown.

6. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    NuTacoma18

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Traveler, thas what I thought. Do you remember if the input side of the shaft was completely sealed off from he inner boot side? I just cant see from the pics I have see so far how diff oil can make it to the boot.

7. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    From what I remember, the input shaft needs to be sealed completely from the inside of the boot. Are you sure it's not leaking from the diff and running down the axle making it "seem" like it's dripping from the boot?

8. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    NuTacoma18

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Not I checked that along with the dealership and it is dry to the bone. The substance is definitely coming out of the boot from what we can see.

9. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    If they are going to replace the whole drivers side axle shaft assm. they might as well just replace the front diff output seal too. This would cover the only other possible spot diff oil could escape from at this location.

10. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    NuTacoma18

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking the same thing. I was assuming this would be standard practice but I shouldn't assume anything when it come to dealerships. I need to be there when this is done. Thanks

11. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    Badgtho

Badgtho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD sport 6spd
    TRD exhaust, TRD beadlock wheels, moto xtender
    This

12. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    tell them to replace the front diff axle seal on that side also. tell them not to half ass it. do it right or do it twice. the seal is like 20 bucks. if they have to replace it later still have to remove the axle and all that. DO IT RIGHT OR DO IT TWICE or three times.

Products Discussed in

To Top