1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wipers shot already?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MRJ, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Dec 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM
    MRJ

MRJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bucky
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 pyrite mica 4x4
    Snugtop SuperSport
    I get to take my 6,800 mile 2012 to the dealership tomorrow. This evening I got in my truck to go see The Hobbit, started it, hit the lights and wipers...... only the passenger wiper wiped. Driver wiper arm sat motionless.

Tell me this is a fluke and not an indication of things to come.

2. Dec 21, 2012 at 12:17 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    hmm never heard of this.

and i thought this was going to be different and be talking about the blades them self. i get new ones like once a year. but i use them all the time to clean, and i’m OCD about them.

3. Dec 21, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    MRJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Bucky
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 pyrite mica 4x4
    Snugtop SuperSport
    Not the blade. Probably broken linkage or stripped out teeth on wiper arm. Was dark and I wasn't going to start taking it apart to diagnose.

4. Dec 21, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Maybe it's something simple, like a disconnected wire or something. Whatever it is at least your'e still under warranty.

5. Dec 21, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    FYI.
    For those that do not know.
    The wipers are not designed to remove a ton of heavy,wet snow or to break free frozen wipers stuck to the windshield. The arms are set into toothed pivots and are held in with a lock nut. The good thing about this is that if this situation happens most of the time it only requires a person to remove that lock nut and arm and clean the teeth on the pivot and reinstall in the correct position and lock it down. You can do this a couple of times before the arm is worn out out enough requiring replacement. I have seen them (although very very rarely ) not secured enough from the factory. We just clean them up and reinstall with no harm or foul. Keeping the windshield clean and blades free will keep you swiping for years to come.. :D

6. Dec 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    MRJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Bucky
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 pyrite mica 4x4
    Snugtop SuperSport
    That is indeed what happened. I wasn't about to start taking stuff apart. Took it to the dealer and let them diagnose and fix.

They seemed surprised that it worked itself loose. Truck's only seen snow (a light dusting Tuesday) once and wipers have never been used to clear anything but rain or been turned on to break free from ice.

So, either the situation of not being properly tightened just got less rare, or the apocalypse is starting with my truck.

No wipers + western Washington weather = end of the world

7. Dec 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Hehehehe he. One more out of a million isn't going to change the % that much. Hehehe glad it was simple.

Products Discussed in

To Top