Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 Tacoma - TRD Sport or TRD OR?

Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #41
Toyo monster is on a distinguished road
Toyo monster's Tacoma Gallery
Dude I just bought a 2013 all the bells ... Get the entune with jbl jobby it sounds amazing. I have heard many stocks stereos and this is right up there with Bose but the jbl hits the lows better. And the navi has got me unlost three times already... Ur talking like 30 bucks a month extra....I smile every time I drive my truck!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #42
Rizzy has a spectacular aura aboutRizzy has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeff
Rizzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
the sport "upgrade" has been discontinued...the "limited" has been added.
Where are you guys getting your information? The TRD Sport package is still available. You can get SR5, Off road, Sport, and now limited. Just look at Toyota's web site.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #43
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy View Post
Where are you guys getting your information? The TRD Sport package is still available. You can get SR5, Off road, Sport, and now limited. Just look at Toyota's web site.
Yeah , but you can't get the Sport " Upgrade " package anymore

Exactly what was said
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #44

Rizzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
the sport "upgrade" has been discontinued...the "limited" has been added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Yeah , but you can't get the Sport " Upgrade " package anymore

Exactly what was said
What exactly is the difference? They have two sport packages on the web site, one with the Entune, one without. What was the "upgrade"? It's not like you can get an SR5 or OR & add the sport as an upgrade. It's always been 3 separate packages.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #45
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy View Post
What exactly is the difference? They have two sport packages on the web site, one with the Entune, one without. What was the "upgrade"? It's not like you can get an SR5 or OR & add the sport as an upgrade. It's always been 3 separate packages.
The Sport " Upgrade " package included 18" chrome clad wheels and is no longer offered

ie ~ you could buy the Sport or the the Sport " Upgrade " package
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #46

Rizzy's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #47
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Sport " Upgrade " package included 18" chrome clad wheels and is no longer offered

ie ~ you could buy the Sport or the the Sport " Upgrade " package
Limited is a sport with a chrome grille. #fugly
Also not available in stick sadly.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #48

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post
Limited is a sport with a chrome grille. #fugly
Also not available in stick sadly.
I wasn't talking about the Limited
Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #50
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Grieby54,

Irregardless of what model or options you choose, I suggest going to the bank first and laying some ground work with them. They can give you a lot of information. I truly recommend financing through a local bank and establishing a relationship with them. Tell the bank what you would like to pay for the truck and allready be approved when you decide on your truck.

When talking with the dealer, you only want the out the door price. You want EVERYTHING figured into that price, tax, title, destination and anything else.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #51
Tacomaized
Kulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19th Special Forces Airborne
Name: Roger
Kulahaga's Tacoma Gallery
Don't ever go into a stealership and tell them that you're about tender a huge down payment ($25K). Rather make them think that you need to finance most if not all of it. By doing so you can get a much better price on the vehicle since they'll think they're going to make a killing on the financing kick-back. After you've settled on the best financed price, then tell them you want put down $25K and make them stick to the 'financed' price. Since you're putting down almost 85%, you should easily be able to get 0% on the remaining $5K financed.

Don't forget the Golden Rule, "the man with the gold rules"!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #52
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Anyone?
WRT children and seat coverings, leather isn't much of an advantage over cloth, IMO. I'd recommend buying seat covers. They're easy to clean, to the point you can completely remove them if something really nasty happens. Covers will also cost far less than leather, and from what I've seen, car seats can chew up leather over time.

There are a few brands of seat covers available, and they're already discussed in other threads. Another advantage with using covers is you don't need to concern yourself with OEM options while shopping.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #53
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I went for the Sport because I really wanted the " for looks only " model which is why I use it for work everyday
That earned a chuckle.

"For looks only" applies to the owner's behavior. At least in their unmolested, stock form, I agree that all of these trucks are capable work vehicles, from a stripper 4cyl/MT to a Limited.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #54
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
First of all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. So, if it needs to be moved, feel free to do so mods.

Hey all! I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Taco within the next few months, and I wanted to get some opinions on which way I should go with it. I figure the best way to get some good feedback is to give you a guys a bit of information about myself and what I'm looking for. So, here we go:

I'm 25 years old, married, and currently driving an '05 Subaru WRX. A friend of mine and his wife recently got pregnant (read: surprise!), and it's had a bit of an impact on me. I want to be prepared if/when that happens, so I figure I should get something a bit more family friendly than my current full-sized go kart (plus, I've always been a truck guy). The truck I owned before my WRX was an '01 Tundra, Supercharged, on 35" tires.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- I live in CO, so 4x4 is a must.
- I'm wanting family friendly (as mentioned before), so double cab is a must.
- My wife drives an '07 4Runner Limited, and I LOVE her JBL sound system, but I'm trying to decide if the Nav and JBL is worth the extra $2k in options. I don't believe the OR comes with the JBL either, so it would be a special order that I'm afraid would damage the bargaining abilities at the stealership.
- I'd like to get back into off-roading, so naturally the OR edition appeals to me. The off-roading I will be doing will be in the mountains on some moderate trails, mostly hills and some rocks. I won't be doing anything too crazy as this will be my DD and I can't afford to break something. The truck will remain stock for quite some time likely (though I might level the front out with Bilsteins).
- I prefer the look of the TRD Sport, as I'm a fan of the color matching trim and like the scoop (fake as it may be) as well.

So my questions are primarily these:
- Is getting the OR edition with the elocker, atrac, etc... worth it when I will maybe go off-roading once a month?
- Is the JBL sound system worth it? Heck, can I even get that in the OR edition?

I can get the OR edition for about $30,500 + TTL, and the Sport edition with JBL for about $30,900 + TTL, and I'm trying to decide which is the better value for what I'm looking for. I'll be able to put about $25k down at the dealership by the time I go to purchase the truck, for what it's worth.

Thanks in advance for reading my novel and your response. Feel free to ask questions that might help with an answer!
You said you want a short bed, so the lack of the OR+Long Bed option doesn't affect you.

I believe there's still a difference in the OR seats and other trim levels, so take some time to see which feels better.

The OR brakes are probably the best, since the hydraulic booster powers the upgraded A-TRAC system. In stock form, the OR brakes are very good for a truck, IMO. If it matters, A-TRAC is supposed to be a better form of electronic traction control than that offered with non-OR trucks. If you plan to add and aftermarket rear locker, and especially if you plan to add front & rear lockers, A-TRAC may not be very important to you. Here's a huge mess of a thread from the Great A-TRAC Wars. Enjoy!

The main question you seem to be facing is whether it's better to buy turnkey, Toyota solutions (Sound/NAV and Off-Road packages) or go aftermarket. If you already plan to change out parts immediately, I think it's better to buy the trim level with the cheapest parts you plan to cast off. To that end, do you plan to stay stock or change tires, wheels, and suspension? Do you want a rear locker? If so, would you rather have a Toyota e-locker or install an aftermarket one? Will you add sliders & skid plates (the OEM "skids" are worthless)?

I went with a 2012 OR/5AT/standard audio because I wanted something ready for light trails off the lot, I needed an AT so non-shifting folks could drive it on long trips, and I think built-in NAV systems are a huge waste of money when high quality, standalone products with free upgrades are so cheap. I added sliders/skids and called it good. I'll slowly continue to upgrade components, but I'm pretty happy with it as is.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #55
Dog Face Soldier
Nicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant future

Army: Weapons of Mass Destruction
Name: Nick
Nicky Lam's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 13 OR and no JBL, but i have the touch scree, usb, aux port, back up camera and blue tooth. i wanted the nav and satellite radio... and when i bought it, i thought it came stock, i thought the entune was standard on all new 2012-2013's. then when my truck came (i had to order it) it did not have it. im not a big sound system/radio guy, but my previous car 2008 acura TL Type S 6 M/T kind of spoiled me.

my iphone with pandora plugs into the usb port gives me any radio station i want, and the phone has turn by turn instruction with the navigation that comes over the radio. not having a JBL sound system i can live with. that extra 2 grand.. i spent on a 3" lift and new upper control arms to make my already very capable off roader, to a more handsome even more capable off roader

what im getting at is... its your money spend, how you want. another option, save that money for a child seat and diapers

EDIT: the steering wheel controls controls the iPhone/ipod/pandora flawlessly
Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #56
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
OR for sure. I would never buy a sport reasoning : occasional Off roading, OR package for lovker, serious off roaring Sr5 and lots of mods. Plus tires for 16's are cheaper than 18's when its time to replace.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #57

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
OR for sure. I would never buy a sport reasoning : occasional Off roading, OR package for lovker, serious off roaring Sr5 and lots of mods. Plus tires for 16's are cheaper than 18's when its time to replace.
say wut
Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #60
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
So I think I'm going to have to custom order my truck. Should it go something like this?
Call Internet sales manager, tell him I want a '13 OR with JBL and leather for $33k. See what price he has. Then drive to the dealership, ask for the same sales manager and say "I'd like to order and finance this truck today, I'm going to 3 other dealerships to compare your price, is the absolute best price you can do?" Then drive to the other dealerships and see if they can beat the price - ask about finance rates, etc... Then tell them I'd like to put $X down and that I want the College Grad rebate as well. When they order it, do I sign the finance papers at that time and put the money down, or do I just put down a deposite?