LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 Tacoma - TRD Sport or TRD OR?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Tacoma - TRD Sport or TRD OR?

First of all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. So, if it needs to be moved, feel free to do so mods.

Hey all! I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Taco within the next few months, and I wanted to get some opinions on which way I should go with it. I figure the best way to get some good feedback is to give you a guys a bit of information about myself and what I'm looking for. So, here we go:

I'm 25 years old, married, and currently driving an '05 Subaru WRX. A friend of mine and his wife recently got pregnant (read: surprise!), and it's had a bit of an impact on me. I want to be prepared if/when that happens, so I figure I should get something a bit more family friendly than my current full-sized go kart (plus, I've always been a truck guy). The truck I owned before my WRX was an '01 Tundra, Supercharged, on 35" tires.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- I live in CO, so 4x4 is a must.
- I'm wanting family friendly (as mentioned before), so double cab is a must.
- My wife drives an '07 4Runner Limited, and I LOVE her JBL sound system, but I'm trying to decide if the Nav and JBL is worth the extra $2k in options. I don't believe the OR comes with the JBL either, so it would be a special order that I'm afraid would damage the bargaining abilities at the stealership.
- I'd like to get back into off-roading, so naturally the OR edition appeals to me. The off-roading I will be doing will be in the mountains on some moderate trails, mostly hills and some rocks. I won't be doing anything too crazy as this will be my DD and I can't afford to break something. The truck will remain stock for quite some time likely (though I might level the front out with Bilsteins).
- I prefer the look of the TRD Sport, as I'm a fan of the color matching trim and like the scoop (fake as it may be) as well.

So my questions are primarily these:
- Is getting the OR edition with the elocker, atrac, etc... worth it when I will maybe go off-roading once a month?
- Is the JBL sound system worth it? Heck, can I even get that in the OR edition?

I can get the OR edition for about $30,500 + TTL, and the Sport edition with JBL for about $30,900 + TTL, and I'm trying to decide which is the better value for what I'm looking for. I'll be able to put about $25k down at the dealership by the time I go to purchase the truck, for what it's worth.

Thanks in advance for reading my novel and your response. Feel free to ask questions that might help with an answer!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
First off welcome to TW and you def came to the right place to find things out about the Tacoma.

I have a 2006 TRD Sport and I've loved it ever since I got it brand new! I have done some moderate off-roading and made it everywhere that the OR's did at our Tacoma meets so even though I dont have lockers...the truck went into some nasty places and it did just fine. I dont know if they upgraded the stock JBL system but mine sucks big time and it wasnt worth the extra money to be honest with you. You'd be better off getting something aftermarket for $2K and you would get a lot better sound system. I also like the color-matching on the Sports...just looks cleaner. In your case with it being your DD and no extreme off-roading I think a Sport would do you just fine.
Oh and don't tell them how much your going to put down...they are sneaky and will try to get every extra dime out of you.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
trd sport and do yellow wire mod.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for your feedback! Would it not help to walk into the dealership with $25k in hand to show them I'm serious? I've never bought a truck new before, and the only reason I'm doing it now is because I want something super low mileage. You just can't find a Tacoma with less than 50k-60k miles here, and even if you do it's only a few grand less than buying brand new.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Thanks for your feedback! Would it not help to walk into the dealership with $25k in hand to show them I'm serious? I've never bought a truck new before, and the only reason I'm doing it now is because I want something super low mileage. You just can't find a Tacoma with less than 50k-60k miles here, and even if you do it's only a few grand less than buying brand new.
Have you tried going to your bank first? You can probably get better financing so your not paying as much interest. A lot better in the long run.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Horsebit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Have you tried going to your bank first? You can probably get better financing so your not paying as much interest. A lot better in the long run.
I planned on checking both routes. I know there are certain incentives from time to time that you can only get if you finance through the dealership. Plus, my parents just bought a Highlander at 0% for 60 months from the dealership, and I've seen offers for as low as 1.9% and 2.9%, so I figured I'd see what they have to offer first. I'm really hoping to have the whole thing paid off by the end of the year anyways.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
the JBL in the 12 plus is definitly upgraded and sounds amazing. You can get it in offroad, no problem, I had it in my 12 or and my 13 or.
I would get the or if I were you, the locker is great to have and the or comes with a better suspension/ tire wheel package for offroading if you are planning to keep it stock.
You can alwayse paint to color match yourself.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you mind expanding on this a little bit? I appreciate the help!
you can do a search on here about it, and theres a good video of the mod aswell. they claim the rear diff on the sport to be sturdier, but for moderate offroad shouldnt have problems with either.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Rizzy has a spectacular aura aboutRizzy has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeff
Rizzy's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Sport. I think the look of it is better and I take mine offroad all the time in dirt & snow with no problems.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
I planned on checking both routes. I know there are certain incentives from time to time that you can only get if you finance through the dealership. Plus, my parents just bought a Highlander at 0% for 60 months from the dealership, and I've seen offers for as low as 1.9% and 2.9%, so I figured I'd see what they have to offer first. I'm really hoping to have the whole thing paid off by the end of the year anyways.
Yeah 0% would be great!! I believe they go by credit and since its your first new vehicle purchase you might not be able to get that APR but I'm not positive on how all that works. But hopefully you can find a good deal. GL!!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Concidering where you live the rear locker on the Offroad model would be a better choice.
Why dat
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ because he lives in a place with mountains and forrests.. and he wants to go offroad.. sports cant do that. LA = SPORT / CO = OFF ROAD

(joking) :-)
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Workman thinks that both the Sport on Offroad Tacoma's make fine 4x4's. The ABS and weightless rear end make these trucks kind of shitty in the snow, like today when Workman woke up to -9F and extremely icy conditions. In 4x4, the truck does pretty good, but 2wd is really weak on the ice. Workman has driven a lot of full sized domestic pickups via work or has owned them, and the Tacoma's ABS and plastic bed make it the hardest truck to drive in extreme cold/ice conditions, in 2wd.

The offroad model with the locker option sold Workman on his Tacoma. The locker has gotten him out of very shitty situations about 4 times in the last 4 years, and therefore paid for itself, in Workman's opinion. Plus the locker is fun to play around with.

An SR5 model+ARB locker in the rear would be a pretty damn good choice as well.....
Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Bad Spuller

Sports and SR5's dont have a david K button when you need help with your 4wd system either.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Workman thinks that both the Sport on Offroad Tacoma's make fine 4x4's. The ABS and weightless rear end make these trucks kind of shitty in the snow, like today when Workman woke up to -9F and extremely icy conditions. In 4x4, the truck does pretty good, but 2wd is really weak on the ice. Workman has driven a lot of full sized domestic pickups via work or has owned them, and the Tacoma's ABS and plastic bed make it the hardest truck to drive in extreme cold/ice conditions, in 2wd.

The offroad model with the locker option sold Workman on his Tacoma. The locker has gotten him out of very shitty situations about 4 times in the last 4 years, and therefore paid for itself, in Workman's opinion. Plus the locker is fun to play around with.

An SR5 model+ARB locker in the rear would be a pretty damn good choice as well.....
dont know of any 4x4 thats any good in 2wd on ice.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
Isn't the sport no more for 2013?
still available

Products Discussed in this Thread