Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Driveline vibration Tsb out

Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #301
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Streaker View Post
Any update on the 'drive shaft tsb'?
Yesterday the dealership called and said they had the new driveshaft in and it helped a lot with the vibration, but they were not happy with it so they opened a case with toyota on there own... he wanted to keep the truck longer because the manager of the service department wants it fixed... I hope there is something that can be done. The service manager said it was the worst vibration out of any Tacoma he has driven. I think if they were able to have done the driveshaft first and not the suspension tsb, it probably would have fixed it. As soon as I know more about what will be done ill post. Im just happy the dealer cares enough to help fix my truck. They could have sent me on my way without it being fixed.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #302
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
I've been watching several of these vibration threads since my 2012 DCSB TRD Off Road 4wd is doing it also. Mine is from a dead stop or very slow roll, accelerating from 10-20mph. Pretty much identical to what most others are experiencing. Talked to dealer, they said YES, there is a TSB on that. So picked up my truck with the new springs (still three leaf style) and new transmission mount. They said the technician noted that it fixed my low speed vibration when accelerating. Well, it is now worse than before. The head guy went for a ride and felt it too. We then drove a brand new 2013 and felt the exact same vibration. I wasn't surprised based on this thread and the fact that I had driven another 2013 and also experienced this same vibration (3 for 3). So they've been nice and all, but they say they are done since the brand new one also vibrates. Well that doesn't make it right. So now I guess I'll start shimming the carrier bearing and searching myself. My case has been made, my concerns noted. I SHOULD be covered if they figure this out after my warranty runs out. But I may call Toyota to express my concern in the mean time. My problem is now worse, it should be fixed. Do I burn a bridge with my local dealership? Probably not at this time, plus the guys were cool about it for the most part other than not pursuing my concerns any further. Oh by the way, I also got the wind noise TSB done at the same time. Its worse now too, go figure.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #303
ssault will become famous soon enoughssault will become famous soon enough
ssault's Tacoma Gallery
Another one here who got the TSB done and just had a reduction in the vibrations (for the time being at least).

Fix the real problem? Nah that costs money.

FTS is taking my truck soon to take a stab at the loose steering (spoiler alert: nothing will happen), I'll add this too.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #304
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
I dropped mine off on Tuesday to be test driven by a tech. The tech confirmed the vibrations and all of the TSB parts have been ordered. I told the service manager that I knew he was "supposed" to do the TSB one step at a time, but I had no intentions of dropping my truck off at the dealership on three separate occasions, so if they must do it in 3 steps, keep the truck for a day and have the tech confirm the vibrations haven't disappeared after each step. I also told him that I don't really have any expectations of this TSB to actually fix my vibrations from what I've read on the internet, but I want it documented that I've been chasing this down since the truck had 800 miles on it.

I am, however, slightly hesitant to let them do the TSB as I keep hearing that the TSB actually makes the vibrations worse! Thoughts?

I'm also wondering if I pressure hard enough, would they just get me a 1 piece drive shaft to save everyone time/money/hassle? They amount of money they'll spend on the TSB parts and the tech's time, they could have just swapped out my drive shaft...
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #305
tpr676 is on a distinguished road

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Back Monday for leaf springs see how this goes.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #306
2wheelnut is on a distinguished road

Name: Angelo
2wheelnut's Tacoma Gallery
Just in this morning. Rode with the tech and he felt it. Said he felt other trucks do it but will "try" to figure it out. I know it's there. Been there since brand new. Doesn't bother me too much but want to see if they can lessen it before I lift it...
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #307
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to say this, but Toyota is not going to be able to fix this. If they could it would already be done. Ive got new springs, transmission mount, steering dampener, carrier bearing and the redesigned TSB drive shaft in my truck... and guess what. Still vibrating! The engineers are obviously clueless about how to really correct this and since its not life threatening i dont think they ever will. Good thing there are some pretty smart folks here on TW. If you dont plan to buy yourself a one piece drive shaft, you are most likely going to have to adjust the driveline angle on your own. if you lift it you will probably have to do it also. If you havent seen this thread, you may want to research it a bit. I will be doing this myself and after Im done, Ill report if I was able to get it fixed. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...step-step.html
Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #308

Just got a call from the dealer, they have thrown all three TSB parts in it and no fix, they escalated to Toyota and they are having them measure driveline parts. The service tech said Toyota suspects it may be coming from the transmission and may throw one in there. yikes... In any case they asked for my truck for a while so I left it with them hopefully to have Toyota come out, inspect it and find a way to fix it for all of us getting the shakes.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #310
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just got off the phone with my service rep. This is how the conversation went:

"Hey, Sam. This is Chris at Go Toyota. I just wanted to let you know that we got everything finished on the truck and you can come pick it up."
"Great! Did it fix the shudder?"
*Without missing a beat* "Nope."
"Hm."
"Yea. I mean, it reduced it and I didn't feel it every time I accelerated, but it's still there."
"I kinda figured. So what's the next step?"
"We just have to wait for Toyota. They've obviously acknowledged the problem so we just wait for next steps from them."
"So, just out of curiosity, do you guys escalate this to them to let them know it's not working?"
"Yes we do. And your truck certainly isn't the only one."

So now we wait and see if Toyota decides to stop wasting money on leaf springs, tranny mounts, steering stabilizers, and paying their techs for wasted time and just fixes the problem the right way the first time with a one piece drive shaft.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #311
hilux30 will become famous soon enoughhilux30 will become famous soon enough

hilux30's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to say this, but Toyota is chasing their ass with this. This a driveshaft issue, not loose mounts, springs.. etc. When Toyota went to the 2nd gen, they somehow managed to ditch the Double Cardon joint just aft of the carrier bearing and slapped on an extra 70 or so ft lbs of twist.
Now, there are pinion angle issues too but that is a slightly different vibe. The Double C absorbed the take off shudder by not relying on proper angles to eliminate and cancel out frequencies, but to spread the allowable angles that can be used. It also absorbed energy transferred to that joint, high torque + crap angles results in the shudder. Carrier bearing could use a redesign too.

I've spoken about this countless times to service reps and techs, most simply stair back looking empty, can't blame them there is nothing they can do, It's a Design problem.

Simply put, it's a little cheaper to build a Drive-shaft without the double C, times that by all those Tacoma sales = $$ savings.
I believe that Toyota thinks the vibes (which gets worse with the slightest lift) are within an acceptable range for now, and redesigning a drive-shaft now when this generation is on it's way out is not cost effective. .. ..

That is, in my eyes, totally unacceptable. I love my truck but there is nothing more aggravating than having a good truck that vibrated, when your buddy's 95 lifted Grand Cherokee drove very smooth... I've tried all things: Dealer visits, mount replacements, new drive-shafts (rebuilt and balanced twice), shims... etc ..etc... next is a DC joint form $Slee$
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #312
Horsebit

Well, I just picked up my truck. The shudder is NO better, and if anything it's worse. Also, looking at the paperwork, the tech wrote that he did all three steps per the TSB and after the third (steering stablizer) the shudder is now gone. Bullshit.

I have to say, the tech's "I don't give a shit" attitude is pretty frustrating. His answer to me when I came and picked it up is "Well, we did everything we could." And then began to babble on about giving him a perfect score on his survey.

Should I take it back and say "Two things. 1. change my paperwork to say it has not gone away. 2. This is worse than before, put it all back to stock."?

Thoughts?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #313
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Well, I just picked up my truck. The shudder is NO better, and if anything it's worse. Also, looking at the paperwork, the tech wrote that he did all three steps per the TSB and after the third (steering stablizer) the shudder is now gone. Bullshit.

I have to say, the tech's "I don't give a shit" attitude is pretty frustrating. His answer to me when I came and picked it up is "Well, we did everything we could." And then began to babble on about giving him a perfect score on his survey.

Should I take it back and say "Two things. 1. change my paperwork to say it has not gone away. 2. This is worse than before, put it all back to stock."?

Thoughts?
do 1

the TSB parts (IIRC) are the same part numbers, only the
damper weight is new :EDIT: i guess some parts are redesigned

all that differs is the skill of putting it together

dealer needs to escalate this to corporate so toyota can
push their engineers for a fix and deploy a new TSB.

I can live with the vibe, and
drive in a fashion where the vibe never occurs...but if I drive 'spirited'
the vibe is definitely there and can be strong...

I hope my warranty lasts long enough so they can fix this
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #314
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Is the 1 piece drive shaft swap the answer? I'd be willing to spend the $ if it solves the problem.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #315
fur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fur pig's Tacoma Gallery
Got my truck back today from the dealer. The dealer installed the new transmission mount which lowers the transmission and t-case about 3/4 of an inch, thus reducing the driveline angle. This cured about 90% of my take off shudder and is good enough for me.
They offered to install the springs but the new TSB springs have a softer rear portion, between the center pin and shackle, to "soak up" some of the axle wrap and not transfer as much to the driver/truck. The trans mount actually helps the issue, the springs and steering dampener just make it less obvious to the driver. Since I use my truck as a truck, I wasn't interested in getting softer springs so I took it as is.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #316
Horsebit

Well, I called the service rep and asked him to change my paperwork. He was put out and said the tech wasn't feeling it after he did the TSB, but the service rep only felt it a little bit. I told him its worse. He said I'd have to drop it off again and have it driven to verify that it's still there. So, they're being difficult. Instead of the service rep just owning up to the fact that its still there and changing the paperwork, he's being a pain in the ass. I drop it off again a week from today. What a pain in the ass. This is a brand new vehicle!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #317

Well Toyota is there with my truck today measuring driveline angles and talking about shimming the carrier. They must read the forums! Ill report back once I get my truck back but it seems like they're at least on the right track with a fix and hopefully a different TSB.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #318
Horsebit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelnut View Post
Well Toyota is there with my truck today measuring driveline angles and talking about shimming the carrier. They must read the forums! Ill report back once I get my truck back but it seems like they're at least on the right track with a fix and hopefully a different TSB.
How did you get them to take it that seriously? Mine don't seem to give a shit about it.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #319
tpr676 is on a distinguished road

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Picked my 2012 up tonight from the dealer, so far so good they changed the springs and installed the steering wheel damper. Had the wife with me so I took it easy but I did not feel the shudder I do need more drive time. The dealer said that three different techs plus him drove it, I will up date in a day or two I hope this is not to good to be true. side note they did not install tranny mount.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #320
hilux30 will become famous soon enoughhilux30 will become famous soon enough

hilux30's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Well, I called the service rep and asked him to change my paperwork. He was put out and said the tech wasn't feeling it after he did the TSB, but the service rep only felt it a little bit. I told him its worse. He said I'd have to drop it off again and have it driven to verify that it's still there. So, they're being difficult. Instead of the service rep just owning up to the fact that its still there and changing the paperwork, he's being a pain in the ass. I drop it off again a week from today. What a pain in the ass. This is a brand new vehicle!
That's exactly what my dealer did! then they blamed it on my AAL claiming it caused the vibe. Truth is I added the leaf only to better tow a small trailer without sagging.... and only after they refused to do the TSB citing that factory warranty ran out, and extended Toyota care warranty does not cover.. . I wanted to hurt the rep that day.. . but kept cool and tolled him I'll take care of it the right way...