1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveline vibration Tsb out

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toyotacerttech, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    why can't they install a control arm on the axle like an IRS 4runner ?

(I do not know enough about suspension...hence, the stupid question)

do control arms restrict some action of leaf springs whereas on independent rear
    control arms are required to perform a role ?

2. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    They honestly just dont care... after all the fixes are done and its still vibrating they will say, look in your book that came with the truck. there is an envelope with arbitration paperwork.

This is the 800 number telling me this, the management.

So, Im on the fence as to whether im going to try to fix it on my own and keep it or just arbitrate. Havent decided.

3. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB MGM JBL/Entune/Nav
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    Well, I got my truck back from the dealership yesterday. They opened a TASK case with Toyota because the vibration is still there (and worse that before the TSB). My service rep told me "When I called them, they told me that under mild acceleration, there should be little to no shudder, and when you're putting a hard load on it, the shudder will be there. They said that this shudder is, and I quote "the new normal." So we'll open up a case and we'll set an appointment with the regional engineer, but I don't think there's anything that can be done about it."

So, I went for a drive with the service manager and explained to him that Chris's (and Toyota's) description of the shudder is what I had before. Now, after the TSB had been done, I get the shudder on just about any acceleration, and I would consider driving at 2000 RPM's and less as very mild driving. The service manager started talking about the 2010 Tacoma that he drives and that it has the shudder and he's not been able to fix it, to which I described some of the fixes I've read about on here (carrier bearing rotation, spacers, shimming, one piece drive shaft, etc...). When we went for a drive, though, his tune changed entirely. He said at least half a dozen times "That's not right. That's not a little shudder."

So, he seemed pretty adamant about getting the regional rep out here before his typical monthly visit. He also apologized that I was not getting to enjoy my new truck, and that he understands that Toyota is saying that the shudder is normal, but what I have isn't right and that they would get it fixed. He actually had to argue a bit with my rep about the fact that what I was experiencing was more severe than what Toyota was talking about. So finally someone gives a shit! I told the manager that I'd be fine with going back to what it was, but now it's just ridiculous. We'll see what happens...

I'll keep this updated with what's going on and what steps we take.

4. Mar 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Well lets face it. For most of the affected vehicles this tsb did not help or made it worse. Myself, it took care of the vib I was having but the truck is not "smooth"
    Had a chance to do a one on one with my rep. Everyone that still has an issue was sent to a data base. The field team has gone back out on the road again and is starting over. I know, I know they should have got it right the first time.
    Be that as it may, I asked him if they were going to be trying one piece shafts or double cardigan joints. He had no additional info that he could offer at this time. It's not going on the back burner by any means. I did mention to him the results of aftermarket shafts etc and he said when they had a meeting or what ever they do he would inquire if they were thinking in this direction. Myself I think the problems started when they cheapened the shafts and went with shafts without the double joints. So for now ,untill I get some more info, I'll just keep my ears open and relay if I hear anything.

5. Mar 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    Yes please keep us informed. Ive gone ahead and started a file with Toyota Canada stating the TSB made it worse. I told them Im too busy working with my truck to play this back and forth learning experience bullshit with this dealership. Only in turn to be treated like an idiot. I told them A new dealership I would like to go to from now on and asked them to contact me when more information is available on a solution. The girl said that is unlikely. I need to relay through a dealership for any updates on the TSB.

But lets face it, tacomaworld is better for this kind of thing. Unless your lucky enough to have a great service department to deal with. So far the first one I've tried is the most unprofessional place I've ever come across, run by clueless people trying to get you in and out as soon as possible. That would be Jim Pattison Toyota in Surrey BC. Dont waste your time going there, if you want personal experiences from me hit me up in a PM and ill explain.

6. Apr 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    T0y0ta05

T0y0ta05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Sport DC Tacoma
    Bone stock other than new floor mats.
    Sub...my 2005 just started to have a mild vibration between 25-50 mph. I initially thought it was the tires and rotated them. I then greased my drive axel, but still no luck. Acceleration/deceleration makes no difference nor does putting it in 4WD. For those mechanically incline, I saw on another post that the rear drive shaft was removed and the vehicle placed into 4WD to isolate the issue. I suppose the vibration would go away if the rear drive shaft was the issue? I may have my tires rebalanced and the truck aligned as a cheap try and see approach, but will likely not follow through on the TSB given the hit/miss results. I actually just started to notice the vibration here since the last oil change so I do wonder if something else is the culprit such as a ball/CV joint. Anyhow, I hope it's worked out soon either way for me and others. It's good to see at least some effort is being made whether by Toyota or individuals.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  7. Apr 13, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    To good to be true, now it shudders on acceleration and vibes at higher speeds. Back next week although i will say my dealer is great.

8. Apr 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I just talked to my service adviser about this today while I was the dealership. Going to take it in Monday for them to look at this and a couple other things. He said he's well aware of the issue, even his wife's Tacoma has it and that the TSB doesn't really fix it. I'll probably have them do it anyway and hope for the best.

9. Apr 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    Willcory

Willcory Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma 4x4
    Took mine in to address the vibrations and clicking noise the end of march to universal off 35n and service advisor fed me bs that my u joints needing lubing they werent dry just need a little extra even though I knew it wasnt the case I just left..

10. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I go to North Park Toyota on the south side (35/410). They're pretty awesome.

11. Apr 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    They confirmed the vibrations and ordered the parts for the TSB. Also getting a new grill for my whistle noise and a couple new tires since mine refuse to balance.

12. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Willcory

Willcory Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma 4x4
    my 13' decided to die. got outta work and went to visit my parents hopped into the truck to leave about 3 hrs later and she refused to start, cranks over but wont fire up. Called the roadside service and had it towed to universal Toyota on saturday 4/20 morning waited around talked to the tech and he is kinda stumped no codes indicating anything and its now tuesday and im still in teh loaner corolla.. Hope I dont have a lemon and end up having toyota buy it back, So the Tsb is hold right now

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  13. Apr 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    That's crazy. Good luck.

14. Apr 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    It turns out my issue was the left hub bearing. So $500 and some change later and I'm vibration free. That price included a wheel alignment too. :D The mechanic did have a hell of a time getting the old one out. I'm not sure if the bearings are pressed in or a self sealed unit, but glad it worked out either way.

15. Apr 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Well that's not encouraging for a brand new vehicle. Hopefully it's just a simple electrical issue that can be resolved easily.

16. Apr 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    Had TSB done today. Braking vibe gone and accel vibe worse. Sigh.

17. Apr 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    Well, I have my appointment with the regional rep today to go for a little drive. I'm not sure how this is going to go or what he's going to say, but I'm doing my due diligence to get this issue up Toyota's ladder, and I hope the rest of you are as well. The more people that take this as far as they can the more attention this problem gets and the more likely it will be resolved.

18. Apr 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    JpAdct

JpAdct Well-Known Member

Member:
    PB County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ExtCab
    Make sure you don't have a key fob on the same key ring as your truck keys. Toyotas seem to not like having other fobs near the ignition system. I know people who had building security fobs on the same ring and it caused the cars not to start. Several shops were stumped, one guy knew what the problem was. His knowledge cured several other's similar no start issues. Also true for othe brand of vehicle fobs/remotes near the Toyota remote while trying to start. Good luck.

19. Apr 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    Update:
    Just did my drive with the regional rep. He either floored it, or drove it slower than molasses. I wish I had asked to drive it before we parked it because when we took off from every light ever single car would pass us and he'd say "Well I don't really feel it there."

I'll keep you guys updated as I learn more. He definitely knew the vib was there when he floored it. Now he has to check parts, possibly swap drive like with a similar truck, etc...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  20. Apr 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    Correct. Now I wait for a phone call with ideas on how to fix it. We did drive a brand new sport and the vibes were there but not nearly to the extent mine had.

Products Discussed in

To Top