Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Driveline vibration Tsb out

Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #342
T0y0ta05 is on a distinguished road

T0y0ta05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0y0ta05 View Post
Sub...my 2005 just started to have a mild vibration between 25-50 mph. I initially thought it was the tires and rotated them. I then greased my drive axel, but still no luck. Acceleration/deceleration makes no difference nor does putting it in 4WD. For those mechanically incline, I saw on another post that the rear drive shaft was removed and the vehicle placed into 4WD to isolate the issue. I suppose the vibration would go away if the rear drive shaft was the issue? I may have my tires rebalanced and the truck aligned as a cheap try and see approach, but will likely not follow through on the TSB given the hit/miss results. I actually just started to notice the vibration here since the last oil change so I do wonder if something else is the culprit such as a ball/CV joint. Anyhow, I hope it's worked out soon either way for me and others. It's good to see at least some effort is being made whether by Toyota or individuals.
It turns out my issue was the left hub bearing. So $500 and some change later and I'm vibration free. That price included a wheel alignment too. The mechanic did have a hell of a time getting the old one out. I'm not sure if the bearings are pressed in or a self sealed unit, but glad it worked out either way.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #343
T0y0ta05 is on a distinguished road

T0y0ta05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcory View Post
my 13' decided to die. got outta work and went to visit my parents hopped into the truck to leave about 3 hrs later and she refused to start, cranks over but wont fire up. Called the roadside service and had it towed to universal Toyota on saturday 4/20 morning waited around talked to the tech and he is kinda stumped no codes indicating anything and its now tuesday and im still in teh loaner corolla.. Hope I dont have a lemon and end up having toyota buy it back, So the Tsb is hold right now
Well that's not encouraging for a brand new vehicle. Hopefully it's just a simple electrical issue that can be resolved easily.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #344
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
Had TSB done today. Braking vibe gone and accel vibe worse. Sigh.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #345
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I have my appointment with the regional rep today to go for a little drive. I'm not sure how this is going to go or what he's going to say, but I'm doing my due diligence to get this issue up Toyota's ladder, and I hope the rest of you are as well. The more people that take this as far as they can the more attention this problem gets and the more likely it will be resolved.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #346
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcory View Post
my 13' decided to die. got outta work and went to visit my parents hopped into the truck to leave about 3 hrs later and she refused to start, cranks over but wont fire up. Called the roadside service and had it towed to universal Toyota on saturday 4/20 morning waited around talked to the tech and he is kinda stumped no codes indicating anything and its now tuesday and im still in teh loaner corolla.. Hope I dont have a lemon and end up having toyota buy it back, So the Tsb is hold right now
Make sure you don't have a key fob on the same key ring as your truck keys. Toyotas seem to not like having other fobs near the ignition system. I know people who had building security fobs on the same ring and it caused the cars not to start. Several shops were stumped, one guy knew what the problem was. His knowledge cured several other's similar no start issues. Also true for othe brand of vehicle fobs/remotes near the Toyota remote while trying to start. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #347
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Update:
Just did my drive with the regional rep. He either floored it, or drove it slower than molasses. I wish I had asked to drive it before we parked it because when we took off from every light ever single car would pass us and he'd say "Well I don't really feel it there."

I'll keep you guys updated as I learn more. He definitely knew the vib was there when he floored it. Now he has to check parts, possibly swap drive like with a similar truck, etc...
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #348
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
^ so he did say he felt it?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #349
Horsebit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
^ so he did say he felt it?
Correct. Now I wait for a phone call with ideas on how to fix it. We did drive a brand new sport and the vibes were there but not nearly to the extent mine had.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #350
tpr676 is on a distinguished road

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the tech today he worked on my truck, he replaced the springs and put a steering wheel damper on. He also is confused why toyota replaced the springs so we play the game. I think they will if the toyota engineer agrees to replace the drive shaft. See how things progress .
Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #351
9civichatch3 will become famous soon enough
9civichatch3's Tacoma Gallery
I just went and re-torqued my u-bolts to 45ftlb then 55ftlb. Hoped in and I don't get any vibes until 55mph but I recently (400 miles ago) got new tires. I will have them re-balance them when I go for my alignment soon. Also, the "thud" from take off has improved tremendously according to my short test drive.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #352
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr676 View Post
I went with the tech today he worked on my truck, he replaced the springs and put a steering wheel damper on. He also is confused why toyota replaced the springs so we play the game. I think they will if the toyota engineer agrees to replace the drive shaft. See how things progress .
Springs have a different "seat angle" I was told. Weather true or not I have not had the chance to compare them.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #353
Horsebit

Well, I got the call from the service manager. He's a super nice guy, was very empathetic, but didn't give me a good answer. Basically he said there's nothing that they can do. Even though mine is worse than the one we drove, they're still calling this normal for the truck and therefore there will be no further remedy for it. He mentioned that there were some things that people were doing online (likely found them here) to take care of the issue, but Toyota cannot/will not use aftermarket parts on my truck. He offered to help with the labor if I found a solution.

So lots of wasted time for nothing. I still cannot believe I spent $35k on a truck that shakes when I accelerate. I thought this brand stood for something that it clearly does not.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #354
Horsebit

I posted this on Toyota's Facebook page:

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Toyota:

I have owned 3 Toyotas in my 9 years of driving and loved each one more than the last. To me, the Toyota brand stood for quality, longevity, and a vehicle you can be confident in.

Three months ago, I decided to purchase my 4th Toyota. This time, I treated myself to a brand new 2013 Tacoma right off of one of your dealership lots. The truck is beautiful, and I can't help but to smile every time that I put my hands on the wheel.

Shortly into my ownership of my Tacoma, I realized that the truck would shudder when accelerating between 15-25 mph. Concerned, I brought my truck back to the dealership to see how this might be remedied. To my delight, there was a TSB for this specific issue in the second gen Tacoma. The dealership promptly performed said TSB and sent me on my way. A procedure that had been created to resolve my shuddering issue has now intensified the problem.

I have been back at that same dealership nearly a dozen times in the 3 months I've owned the truck to try to get this issue resolved. Yesterday, I did a drive with your regional rep. Your rep acknowledged that my truck shudders, and after driving another brand new Tacoma that also shuddered under acceleration, he also acknowledged that my truck shudders worse than that truck. After spending an hour at the dealership in the middle of the day, I had to return to work, but your rep said he would call his counter-part in California and see if there have been any new solutions to this issue. The master tech at the dealership called me last night to deliver the results of your reps efforts: it's normal. He explained that Toyota has deemed this shudder - a very noticeable and embarrassing shaking in my truck - a characteristic of the Tacoma due to drive-line angles. Just because it's "normal" for the Tacoma, doesn't mean it's okay.

I have been a loyal customer of yours since the day I got my driver's license, and there has been at least one Toyota in my family's driveway for the last 20 years. I spent $35,000 on a truck that I am embarrassed to drive my friends and family in because every time that I accelerate away from a light, my truck vibrates violently. Let me make my disappointment very clear - telling someone that it's "normal" for my $35000 truck with 3000 miles on it to shake violently when I accelerate does not make the issue any less embarrassing, and it certainly does not make me feel ANY better about the problem. Toyota has done NOTHING to make this right.

For the very first time, I regret my decision to go with Toyota. This was my first brand new vehicle. This should have been exciting. This should have been fun. This has been incredibly disappointing. The brand that I thought stood for something apparently does not.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #355
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
I posted this on Toyota's Facebook page:

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Toyota:

I have owned 3 Toyotas in my 9 years of driving and loved each one more than the last. To me, the Toyota brand stood for quality, longevity, and a vehicle you can be confident in.

Three months ago, I decided to purchase my 4th Toyota. This time, I treated myself to a brand new 2013 Tacoma right off of one of your dealership lots. The truck is beautiful, and I can't help but to smile every time that I put my hands on the wheel.

Shortly into my ownership of my Tacoma, I realized that the truck would shudder when accelerating between 15-25 mph. Concerned, I brought my truck back to the dealership to see how this might be remedied. To my delight, there was a TSB for this specific issue in the second gen Tacoma. The dealership promptly performed said TSB and sent me on my way. A procedure that had been created to resolve my shuddering issue has now intensified the problem.

I have been back at that same dealership nearly a dozen times in the 3 months I've owned the truck to try to get this issue resolved. Yesterday, I did a drive with your regional rep. Your rep acknowledged that my truck shudders, and after driving another brand new Tacoma that also shuddered under acceleration, he also acknowledged that my truck shudders worse than that truck. After spending an hour at the dealership in the middle of the day, I had to return to work, but your rep said he would call his counter-part in California and see if there have been any new solutions to this issue. The master tech at the dealership called me last night to deliver the results of your reps efforts: it's normal. He explained that Toyota has deemed this shudder - a very noticeable and embarrassing shaking in my truck - a characteristic of the Tacoma due to drive-line angles. Just because it's "normal" for the Tacoma, doesn't mean it's okay.

I have been a loyal customer of yours since the day I got my driver's license, and there has been at least one Toyota in my family's driveway for the last 20 years. I spent $35,000 on a truck that I am embarrassed to drive my friends and family in because every time that I accelerate away from a light, my truck vibrates violently. Let me make my disappointment very clear - telling someone that it's "normal" for my $35000 truck with 3000 miles on it to shake violently when I accelerate does not make the issue any less embarrassing, and it certainly does not make me feel ANY better about the problem. Toyota has done NOTHING to make this right.

For the very first time, I regret my decision to go with Toyota. This was my first brand new vehicle. This should have been exciting. This should have been fun. This has been incredibly disappointing. The brand that I thought stood for something apparently does not.
How long did it take before it was deleted...? They usually do that. Check your states lemon law and make sure its documented every time you go in that its not fixed...
Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #356
Horsebit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckyTruck View Post
How long did it take before it was deleted...? They usually do that. Check your states lemon law and make sure its documented every time you go in that its not fixed...
It's still up, and I'd be very surprised if they took it down.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #357
tpr676 is on a distinguished road

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer installed new drive shaft 2 piece, they compared it to a new truck on the lot said its good I still feel some slight shudder I will have to drive it some. So far it seems better " I know it's a truck not a Lexus" will post findings.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #358
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, I got the call from the service manager. He's a super nice guy, was very empathetic, but didn't give me a good answer. Basically he said there's nothing that they can do. Even though mine is worse than the one we drove, they're still calling this normal for the truck and therefore there will be no further remedy for it. He mentioned that there were some things that people were doing online (likely found them here) to take care of the issue, but Toyota cannot/will not use aftermarket parts on my truck. He offered to help with the labor if I found a solution.

So lots of wasted time for nothing. I still cannot believe I spent $35k on a truck that shakes when I accelerate. I thought this brand stood for something that it clearly does not.
Make a video, I would like to see how violent your shudder is.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #360
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A video wouldn't really show it. It's something you feel.

video of drive line? I have a takeoff shudder, but I am lifted and wouldnt consider it violent