LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Driveline vibration Tsb out

Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #361
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadTaco View Post
video of drive line? I have a takeoff shudder, but I am lifted and wouldnt consider it violent
I have no way of mounting a camera to my frame to video the driveline. I don't have panels falling off of the truck, but it's not just a little tremble, the whole truck shakes.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #362
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
I have no way of mounting a camera to my frame to video the driveline. I don't have panels falling off of the truck, but it's not just a little tremble, the whole truck shakes.
GoPro
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #363
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54
I have no way of mounting a camera to my frame to video the driveline.
I'm not going to buy a GoPro to post a video of my driveline shaking...
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #364
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not going to buy a GoPro to post a video of my driveline shaking...
I would
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #365
Horsebit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I would
Ok, I'll go buy a $200 camera to show you a video of the problem. Then what? "Yup... looks like that's some pretty bad shaking you've got going on there."

Why would you spend $200 to take a video of a problem just to show it to people on a forum? It would make much more sense to spend $200 towards fixing a known issue.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #366

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, I'll go buy a $200 camera to show you a video of the problem. Then what? "Yup... looks like that's some pretty bad shaking you've got going on there."

Why would you spend $200 to take a video of a problem just to show it to people on a forum? It would make much more sense to spend $200 towards fixing a known issue.
I'm just saying I would

Documenting video evidence of a driveline shudder may help in showing Toyota that there is an issue and would also help pinpoint where your issue is originating

or maybe you could borrow one
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #367
Willcory is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
Willcory's Tacoma Gallery
I havent talked my service advisor about looking my truck up and seeing what was preformed while at the dealer before i bought it..

I have a lil sticker in my door jamb saying modification done decreased my payload by 60-70 lbs, so im assuming that they installed the softer leaf spings???
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #368
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
I have a similar sticker on my 2012. Not sure what was done.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #369
Desert Snow is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
Desert Snow's Tacoma Gallery
Took my 2012 in to Power Toyota of Tempe this morning. I printed the TSB and showed it to my service advisor, then explained how to recreate the shudder. Got a call about 2 hours later and was told that the truck definitely shudders and they would order all parts and do a sequential fix of each step as needed.

I got called a couple hours after that. Service advisor explained that they contacted Toyota and received direction to put it in 4WD high, remove the drive shaft, and document the shudder disappeared on retest. It did. According to Toyota, this indicates that the TSB will not work to fix the problem (something everyone on this thread already knows).

So the service manager drove a brand new truck off the lot and had the exact same shudder I have. Seems to be an inherent design flaw.

At this point I still have the shudder, but at least now it's been documented that I had it while the truck was under warranty. Also appreciate that the dealer didn't put me through all of the steps that won't work anyway (and may make it worse). I just hope that Toyota someday identifies the real problem and releases an effective TSB.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #370
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
My dealer threw all the parts on in one shot today. It actually seems slightly better but I can still tell it's there. Luckily it doesn't seem to have made it any worse like some are saying. Mine wasn't very bad to begin with though. Will see how it goes over the next couple days. Ride with the new leafs seems the same.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #371
tpr676 is on a distinguished road

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
My dealer threw all the parts on in one shot today. It actually seems slightly better but I can still tell it's there. Luckily it doesn't seem to have made it any worse like some are saying. Mine wasn't very bad to begin with though. Will see how it goes over the next couple days. Ride with the new leafs seems the same.

I installed Hellwig helper EZ-550 I still had shudder/vibe after new drive shaft, for less than $60 with shipping and 45 minutes of your time it did help. I don't know if these springs are softer or not but so far I am pleased with with the helpers.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #372
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcory View Post
I havent talked my service advisor about looking my truck up and seeing what was preformed while at the dealer before i bought it..

I have a lil sticker in my door jamb saying modification done decreased my payload by 60-70 lbs, so im assuming that they installed the softer leaf spings???
Quote:
I have a similar sticker on my 2012. Not sure what was done.

any options that you got that added weight to the truck, and I mean any.. decreased its payload and that is what the sticker is for. rated payload is for a taco with 0 options..
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #373

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr676 View Post
I installed Hellwig helper EZ-550 I still had shudder/vibe after new drive shaft, for less than $60 with shipping and 45 minutes of your time it did help. I don't know if these springs are softer or not but so far I am pleased with with the helpers.
Funny you mention these, I ordered some this morning. Been looking at them for a week or 2 but waited until they installed my new leafs to order them. I'll be putting them on this weekend. I mainly ordered them to help with handling a load as I take a 4,200 mile road trip, not to handle the shudder, but if it does both that's great.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #374
graywolf2011 is on a distinguished road
graywolf2011's Tacoma Gallery
shudder/vibration

I have not read this entire thread, but has any dealership measured the angles between the output shaft and pinion shaft? These angles must be identical, and the carrier bearing must be almost zero degrees(slight angle is needed for lubrication of u joint). If the output angle and pinion angle are not identical, you will get conflicting harmonic vibrations between the 2 angles, driveline 101, Toyota knows this. Any 2 piece drive shaft must adhere to this principle. This is a simple shim adjustment if this is the cause of the vibes. Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #375
Trd2013taco is on a distinguished road
Trd2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
2013 off road dcsb .. i get an occasion vibration from a dead stop to hard acceleration but once she gets going it goes away ..other then that no vibrations in normal driving.. is this the shutter/vibration everyones having?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #376
waYnewaGner is on a distinguished road
Name: waYne
waYnewaGner's Tacoma Gallery
TSB for Vibration, but at a different speed

Hey all,

I know the TSB said something about 15-20 mph, but my vibration was coming at about 51. Had it balanced, and aligned like 20 times, so that was not the issue.

Anyone else have the problem at a different speed?

My Tacoma is currently in the dealership shop, and "might" be released tomorrow.

Anyone? Bueller?

waYne
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #377

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Funny you mention these, I ordered some this morning. Been looking at them for a week or 2 but waited until they installed my new leafs to order them. I'll be putting them on this weekend. I mainly ordered them to help with handling a load as I take a 4,200 mile road trip, not to handle the shudder, but if it does both that's great.
They do help with the axle wrap, and I believe axle wrap is the root of this shudder.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #378

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by waYnewaGner View Post
Hey all,

I know the TSB said something about 15-20 mph, but my vibration was coming at about 51. Had it balanced, and aligned like 20 times, so that was not the issue.

Anyone else have the problem at a different speed?

My Tacoma is currently in the dealership shop, and "might" be released tomorrow.

Anyone? Bueller?

waYne
They replaced my driveshaft it was out of balance, could be the vibration you feel at higher speeds. I had some vibs higher than that have not had a chance to hit the interstate.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #379
jgrm1 is on a distinguished road
jgrm1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll be putting them on this weekend.
Did they eliminate the shudder?

-Jeff
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #380

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Quote: