Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Driveline vibration Tsb out

Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #401
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINS Runner View Post
Took measurements tonight. Going to order a Tom Woods double cardan DS tomorrow. Tired of the take off shudder and vibes. Tired of making adjustments, trying to get rid of them, with no luck....
Keep us updated on your results.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #402
PINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Larry
PINS Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post
Keep us updated on your results.
Damn -- I need better flange measurements ..delayed ordering until next week, but I will update.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #403
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr676 View Post
Traded, I had enough Toyota was a nice truck but not in the same league with the f-150.
I would've done the same thing however I like trails and a full size just won't fit. At least not up in the PNW.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #404
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Took measurements tonight. Going to order a Tom Woods double cardan DS tomorrow. Tired of the take off shudder and vibes. Tired of making adjustments, trying to get rid of them, with no luck....
Giterdun, larry of shertz... can't wait to hear if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivespeed View Post
I would've done the same thing however I like trails and a full size just won't fit. At least not up in the PNW.
I was just telling my wife today I won't be taking my tundra thru 4 feet of creekbed water. She was pleased. Ha. That damn tacoma would go anywhere it could fit
Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #406
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ordered a TW one-piece today....should have it by Wed next week
Can't wait to hear your results
Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #407
PINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of lightPINS Runner is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckyTruck View Post
Can't wait to hear your results
Posted the same on "Driveshaft vibes solved step by step" but..........

Just got back from a test drive....take off shudder GONE....20 mph and acceleration vibe GONE.....TACO takes off and accelerates like the wife's Avalon......Worth every penny
Attached Thumbnails
Driveline vibration Tsb out-img_0059.jpg   Driveline vibration Tsb out-img_0058.jpg   Driveline vibration Tsb out-img_0057.jpg   Driveline vibration Tsb out-img_0056.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #408
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Posted the same on "Driveshaft vibes solved step by step" but..........

Just got back from a test drive....take off shudder GONE....20 mph and acceleration vibe GONE.....TACO takes off and accelerates like the wife's Avalon......Worth every penny
How many pennies we talking?....
Old 06-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #410
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
47,900 pennies delivered
Awesome, glad it worked well for you. My vibes are very minimal and sometimes not noticeable, but I'd like to replace mine someday. Can't decide if I should go this route or add the double-cardan to the two-shaft setup.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #411
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Are there any downsides to have a 1 piece driveshaft? Not sure why Toyota doesn't just use them from the factory.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #412
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
47,900 pennies delivered
Not a bad price knowing it cures the issue. May have to add that to the list....

Nice!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
Are there any downsides to have a 1 piece driveshaft? Not sure why Toyota doesn't just use them from the factory.
I've read a lot of stuff on them. The only debate seems to be if the length might put extra stress on the seals.
I can't image it being worse than all the constant shudder and vibrations.
and there are a few guys on here that have run them a long time with no problems. I don't know why Toyota doesn't go 1-piece AND don't know why they go with that POS needle bearing in the front clam shell, already replaced it too (ECGS bushing), but I digress.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #414
Willcory is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
Willcory's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
well looks like i found my next mod
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #415
toyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo8696 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: CBRN
toyo8696's Tacoma Gallery
I don't seem to have the take off shudder/vibration on my 13. I do have a very noticeable vibration at 60 MPH. At this speed my door panels actually make noises! I do not feel it is tire related. Plan on taking it in to the shop and demanding they do something. Any others having this type of vibration.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #416
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
I notice over, and over, and over the posters in this thread are Double Cab owners. I haven't seen a single Access Cab or Reg Cab owner post here (well maybe one AC owner, but he's not experiencing the horrible vibrations). And I'm certainly not experiencing any vibrations after 18k miles.

What that tells me is the problem is with the drive shaft (as many have said). You DC owners have a longer wheelbase, therefore different drive shafts than the AC or the Reg Cab. Different lengths, different angles, different something.

There's something wrong with the shafts, or as said above the angles on the shafts. Your frame rails are longer also, maybe that has something to do with it. Basically, I'm guessing, Toyota just extended everything for the DC, and didn't put enough engineering into the added stresses/torques.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #417
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
I notice over, and over, and over the posters in this thread are Double Cab owners. I haven't seen a single Access Cab or Reg Cab owner post here (well maybe one AC owner, but he's not experiencing the horrible vibrations). And I'm certainly not experiencing any vibrations after 18k miles.

What that tells me is the problem is with the drive shaft (as many have said). You DC owners have a longer wheelbase, therefore different drive shafts than the AC or the Reg Cab. Different lengths, different angles, different something.

There's something wrong with the shafts, or as said above the angles on the shafts. Your frame rails are longer also, maybe that has something to do with it. Basically, I'm guessing, Toyota just extended everything for the DC, and didn't put enough engineering into the added stresses/torques.
... ^^^ ... My thoughts too ...
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #419
newfieDan is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
newfieDan's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '13 DC and have vibes when accelerating from aprox. 20km/hr-100km/hr. Less than 5000 kms on truck. It's driving me nuts but I am not applying TSB because as previous posters have said, i don't think it will fix anything. Really appreciate the update from P9HST2 on the new drive shaft. As soon as I am out of warranty I will do this mod. I may even discuss it with Toyota to see if there is some way I can do the mod now and not void the warranty. Thanks for the great info guys.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #420
EWM is on a distinguished road
EWM's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '13 access cab and do have the 18-25mph vibes.