1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveline vibration Tsb out

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toyotacerttech, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Sep 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    Bloom

Bloom Well-Known Member

Member:
    NASCAR, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 BR DC TRD OR
    OME 885+Dakars, WeatherTech mats, EGR In Channel, PopNLock, Access LE, 3M tint and clear film paint protection, Sport grille, Amsoil, Zaino once in a while.
    Must have missed that feature being mentioned in the sales brochure.

Bizarre that so many vehicles have this problem and yet they don't know why? Color me skeptical.

And cynical...looks like Toyota is an American company now and wtf happened to us??

(sorry, my cynicism got the better of me)

2. Sep 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB MGM JBL/Entune/Nav
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    That's exactly what their regional rep said to me even after explaining that I have NEVER spent $33k on a vehicle before, and that none of the cheaper/used vehicles that I've driven in my life shook like they had Parkinsons every time I hit the gas. So I brought it to corporate and made a bunch of noise. They cut me a $500 shut up check. I used it to pay for half of my lift which fixed my vibes...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  3. Sep 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    DESRTRNNR

DESRTRNNR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD off road 4x4
    can you say which rep you spoke too about it? i have a open case with corporate still.. i got them to change out my rear springs but that barely helped the issue.. the rep i was dealing with would never answer or call back..

4. Sep 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    I don't remember his name, but it's a territory rep. He came out and did a drive with me and he handles all the CO Toyota Dealerships (he was a complete nincompoop). Yours would be specific to your state or territory. As far as your corporate situation, I'd just be persistent in saying that you've done your due diligence in trying to get the situation remedied, but there hasn't been a solution so you would like compensation. I originally asked them to reimburse me for the warranty that I purchased ($1200 or so). He said he'd look into and came back with $500.

5. Sep 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    mknipp

mknipp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know if I'd go away for $500. I also bought an extended warranty (they said your rate could be 2.9% but if you get an extended warranty, we'll drop the rate to 1.9%). I fear this issue could cause other issues or failure in the future when I'm out now warranty, then I'm really screwed. I just can't imagine paying 30k for a truck and my floor vibrates when I hit the gas. I'll try to get a Supercharger out of them :D. Yeah not gonna happen but I'll keep posting updates.

6. Sep 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    For me it was $500 or nothing. I was tired of dealing with it and knew that $500 would allow me to solve the issue, so I took it. They might offer more if you have a strong track record of buying new from Toyota.

7. Sep 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Mmmmmmmmm how do I answer this OZ.
    I just spoke with my area rep today. They are rescinding it because it doesn't go far enough. I'm not sure of the latest ideas they have but I know there is going to be a lot of math involved and I already told him it's being done already and the results are not consistent. So I kind of put a bug in his ear that one set of readings won't matter much to another truck. Is it a characteristic of the truck?
    Yes...... However, they are going to go down another path to try and make it NOT a characteristic. That's all I know. Weather it's what you want to hear or not I can only relay what I can get out of them. For sure we all know it's driveline angle causing primary and secondary vibes etc. How far they are going to take this I have no idea. IMO they will not do a different driveshaft. I hope I could one day say I was wrong but I doubt it. But, different cross members were mentioned.
    That's all I can tell you buddy......

8. Sep 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Thanks guy

9. Sep 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM
    v8turbo

v8turbo Active Member

Member:
    Centennial , CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    TRD Intake & Cat Back. AllPro Expedition Rear Springs, Icon 2.5 w/remotes F/R, Icon UCA, Front Runner Roof racks, Pelfreybilt bumpers, skids, sliders, ARB locker, 4.88, Warn M8000S.
    Ok guys..... Get this. Living in SoCal.... I had the vibe at take off the minute I added Dakars. I shimmed... Nada. So I returned. Went to All Pro Expeditions..... Vibe. Shim.. Vibe... 3 diff shim... Vibe. So.. I move to Alaska and the cool weather... No more vibe. Is it possible to cold keeps the metal stiffer.. Enough to stop the vibe?

10. Sep 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    They probably settled a bit which changes the driveline angles

11. Sep 28, 2013 at 2:54 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    We have seen a lockup shudder on a couple and you know a shaft won't cure that. Myself, the last tsb improved it enough that it's livable. If I had the extra coin I would be going one piece with a double cardigan or even just a cardigan like the older Gen's. It's to bad taking the shaft out and driving in 4wd makes it a whole new truck.....

12. Sep 28, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    You probably just needed a carrier bearing drop, not the shims....or both.

Like Oz said, once they settled a bit the angle got to where it needed to be.

13. Sep 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Torque converter lock up shudder ?

How would you prove that is happening ?

14. Sep 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Mine has had the "takeoff shudder" for the last four years I have owned it. Recently I have noticed that my rear springs seem to be sagging a bit. This seems to have greatly reduced, possibly eliminated the take off shudder. Apparently it does not take much, I did not measure my suspension height in the past or even now, but we can't be talking about more than a half an inch.

In the past it seemed to shudder worse when the bed was loaded....not sure if that was due to the angle of the driveshaft or the extra load on the drivetrain.

15. Sep 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Usually we drive them real easy up through 45 accelerating all the time.
    If you have a lockup shudder the truck will act like your driving on the rumble strips on the end of the highway when the lockup cycles.
    The take off "shudder" is not the same.

16. Sep 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    drwoodr

drwoodr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SR5
    side steps, heated seats, tonneau cover, rocky mounts, RAAMMat, 12v outlet in dash
    Funny, I've noticed the opposite, when I throw a couple bags of softener salt or mulch in the bed, my vibes almost disappear.

17. Sep 28, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    This is what my truck has done since stock , the vibration occurs at 40-45 mph , does a lock up shutter produce a code ? How can I prove to the dealer this is occuring ?

18. Sep 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    lock up shudder won't produce a code.
    There is a "NORMAL" feeling when she locks up.
    A decrease in rpm.
    Kind of a "Slight Drone" like a STD trans

This shudder is a way worse feeling. Like rumble strips i guess you could call it.
    We have only seen a couple and when it would happen it could vib the whole truck.
    To be honest we have never seen one without some miles on it. So if you say it's been like that since new and hasn't changed,it might not be that.
    If you can duplicate it and then vary the intensity with the throttle while it's shifting into lockup and it feels like rumble strips, then you could have someone ride with you while you show them. It never gets "Better".
    I'm sure you ride or drive other Taco's...

19. Sep 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    It does shudder the whole truck sometimes , I used to put it down to tires but it's not that

It feels like when you lug a manual tranny in too high a gear at too low of rpm's

I guess my question is , is there a way to prove that the vibe is or is not lock up shudder ?

My powertrain warranty expires next month

20. Sep 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yes. You need to find someone at the shop that knows the difference. Great answer I know.
    I don't have parameter I can give you. If you can duplicate it on command then get a Forman to ride with you.

Products Discussed in

To Top