Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just installed AAL and Billys...anyone have this problem?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #41
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
If you read teamlombardo's post here it shows that after he installed a top plate spacer on the drivers side it actually lowered the rear passanger side measurment, he had tacolean in tw front though so i am not sure it would apply to you OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post
Before you read all this jazz I want you to know that I am very precise when I take suspension measurements. I measure several times to ensure accuracy and minimize error.

HoKay, as an FYIer for ya and to get your thoughts..... I installed a 10mm (.393701") top plate spacer to my driver side and it only lifted it 1/4" . It is beyond me on how I got less lift compared to the thickness of the plate.

According to Wheeler's Off-Road website it states that 10mm spacer should give 1/2" to 5/8" approx in lift. I really don't know what the hell is going on here. Below are my measurements before and after install of the 10mm top plate spacer.

*****Hub Center to Bottom of Fender Measurements taken at 7,200 miles on 11/2/12. Additional weight added: Bumper, Sliders, VR8000-s, RI 20" SR LED, RI Duallys (2,933 miles since suspension install)
FD: 23 3/16" (-5/16" from previous measurement)
FP: 23 13/16" (-5/16" from previous measurement)
RD: 25 1/16" (-1/16" from previous measurement)
RP: 25 1/16" (-3/16" from previous measurement)
Based on the measurements above the Front Driver's side is 5/8" lower than the Front Passenger's side, despite having an OME 5mm trim packer installed.

I installed a 10mm top plate spacer w/extended studs to the Front Driver's side, which was supposed to give me an additional 1/2" to 5/8" lift according to Wheeler's Off-Road. Below are the measurements AFTER installing the 10mm spacer to the Driver's Side only.
******Hub Center to Bottom of Fender Measurements taken at 7,713 miles on 11/17/12 (3,446 miles since suspension install)
FD: 23 7/16" (+1/4" from previous measurement)
FP: 23 7/8" (+1/16" from previous measurement)
RD: 25 1/16" (no change)
RP: 24 13/16" (-1/4" from previous measurement)
I am also looking to solve this issue, i have over 1/2" of taco lean in the rear, and just under 1/2" in the front
Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #42
YESSAHBUD...heyut
mainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ol' Waltah
mainewoodsballer's Tacoma Gallery
Well I got the front on today. Had the guys loosen up the Ubolts in the rear and re-tighten them..with the front spacer in the truck looks pretty level as far as I can tell. I will post pictures soon
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #43
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRD View Post
Are you sure you put the leafs on the same? They are directional
not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewoodsballer View Post
Yes, the longer side goes toward the back?
If you're a 2nd gen. there is no "longer side to the back"

If you were a 1st gen. then yeah, but 2nd gens are equal length from centerpin to eyeletts...

You may have swapped sides by accident, driverside main leaf is slightly more ARC'd than pass. for the whole "taco lean" issue
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #44
Made in Maine.... Yessah bub!
JNome has a spectacular aura aboutJNome has a spectacular aura aboutJNome has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard: Ensign
Name: Jake
JNome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
not true

If you're a 2nd gen. there is no "longer side to the back"

If you were a 1st gen. then yeah, but 2nd gens are equal length from centerpin to eyeletts...

You may have swapped sides by accident, driverside main leaf is slightly more ARC'd than pass. for the whole "taco lean" issue
^I agree with this.... I installed this same lift last friday and measured the leafs from center hole to end.... they are exactly the same length on each end so there is no long side or short side. I'm guessing the misalignment might come from slightly different arches in the AAL's as mentioned earlier. I also had a bunch of sand in mine from these Maine roads and I made a point to clean out the leafs before reinstalling to prevent binding.

I noticed that when taking mine apart and reinstalling that I had to pay special attention to lining the spring back up with the axle... maybe you are misaligned slightly here as well, or have some sand in between the spring pack and bracket on the axle on the high side causing it not to seat inot the bracket properly????

I don't know... sounds to me like you should just let it settle out and see what happens

Different tire pressure?

Sub'd to see the results
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #45
YESSAHBUD...heyut
mainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well the ones I received were directional. For my 2011.

Here is it:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #51
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
The center pin hole is offset. One side is longer than the other. The long side goes to the rear IIRC to fight axle wrap.

Oh, I know that, 1st gens are eliptical (offset) but 2nd gens aren't, their equal, wonder why they put an eliptical spring on a 2nd gen...

Dont know why they did, but at least that clears up my confusion...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #52
YESSAHBUD...heyut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNome View Post
Seems fine now.... mine were for the tsb pack so maybe the other leafs are different.... where in maine are yah
Near Skowhegan you?