Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who has been told they've voided their warranty? What mod did it

Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #41
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
They may refuse to do the work on it but that does not mean its voided. Even if its totaled some safety recalls and emissions are still warrantied.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #42
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hill View Post
About 2 months ago I bought my 2008 Tacoma Pickup. Prettiest truck on the ford dealership lot. I didn't argue the price, & I bought every warranty they asked me to buy to cover the whole thing (MPP-Mechanical Protection Plan) Theft On-Guard, Sky Link, Paintless Dent Repair, Electrical & Mechanical (Engine & Power train ). I also have what they call Tire Assure. You name it, I got it, except the interior coverage they said they could not sell me due to the vehicles age. Anyway, I put in for a flat & also told them the tire pressure light was on. They said because the wheels were changed out for 20" wheels and that they had no tire sensors on them, I would have to pay $150. a wheel for the sensors & they would install them. The Sensors would cost $ 600.00 & they would fix the problem. One of the guys said it really wasn't that great of a feature. If the light bothered me, just put black tape over the light area. I am very happy with my truck & love it, but my question is: Would you pay them the $600.00 to fix the problem or order the sensors yourself & have them put them on to fix the problem, or is it a big deal to have that? Love to read your input about this & ideas as to what I should do.
My guess was the light was on at time of purchase. If so I hope you got a we owe to get them fixed. They can't warranty what's not there. But if not I would just take it to a tire shop and get it fixed for a lot less
Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #43
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
They may refuse to do the work on it but that does not mean its voided. Even if its totaled some safety recalls and emissions are still warrantied.
The manufacturer can not be held liable for warranty work on aftermarket parts and labor. That warranty would be through the supplier of those parts and labor.
If Jiffy Lube strips your oil filter mount, Toyota won't warranty it.

The manufacturer can not refuse warranty service on non-affected systems. They can't refuse to cover an issue with the brakes because you installed an FIPK.
They MAY be able to refuse to cover an issue with brakes if you installed a lift kit, depending on the nature of the work.
Stainless hoses = No coverage on the hoses or their attachments. Can they deny coverage for a failed caliper? If they open the failed caliper and find contamination consistent with having the system open, or particles from the new hose, then yes, it would be legally possible for them to deny coverage.

They can't deny coverage on the ENTIRE powertrain (engine included) due to a lift. They could deny impacted systems such as the drive shaft, CVs, and the transmission if oversized tires are installed.

Furthermore:
A manufacturer can not require OEM parts and labor as a condition of maintaining the warranty(*) unless said parts and labor are provided at no charge. Harley dealers are real stinkers about this. If this statement is made, get it on tape and forward it to your state's AG office.

Note: This applies in the US due to Magnusson-Moss
It does not apply outside of the US unless your country has enacted a similar law.

(*)Note 2: "Warranty" under Magnusson-Moss applies to the manufacturers base warranty... 3/36, 5/100 powertrain, etc...
It does NOT apply to "extended warranties", "Toyotacare", or any other 3rd-party "warranty" that is paid for over and above the price of the vehicle (or provided by the dealer).
These are not "warranties"... they are "Service Contracts" and you are bound by the terms and conditions listed in that contract.
That contract can specify anything the author desires. I bought an extended warranty for my '03 Tundra from Crown Toyota in Ontario, and it was not a Toyota policy. It was a 3rd party policy, that actually required that ALL service be performed by a little hole in the wall shop in Santa Fe Springs (about 30 miles away).
When I bought my wife's '04 Rav4, I made sure that Carson Toyota sold me a Toyota extended warranty (didn't need it, hasn't been in the shop since it lost an O2 sensor at 30k).
Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #44
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My guess was the light was on at time of purchase. If so I hope you got a we owe to get them fixed. They can't warranty what's not there. But if not I would just take it to a tire shop and get it fixed for a lot less
The BAR might be interested.

The TPMS is federally mandated and it is illegal for a dealer to disable the system. It is likely illegal for a dealer to sell a used vehicle with a non-functional TPMS system.

Just saying "it's not that great of a feature" is bullshit.
Sure... we went for a century without it, but it IS a great feature.

Mine didn't work when I bought my '08.
After about 6 months, I stopped in at Discount Tire and in 15 minutes, the tech got it working.
Two days later, I was on the way home from work and the light came on.
Suspecting it had just taken a dump again, I pulled over and restarted the engine to see if it flashed or simply came on.
It simply came on. Hmmm....
Got out and checked the air, one tire was exactly 10psi below the rest. Found a nail in the tire, marked it, and got it plugged.

Had it not been for the TPMS, I would have come out at 5am the next day to find a flat tire, and my parking arrangement does not allow for access to the spare.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #45
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

(*)Note 2: "Warranty" under Magnusson-Moss applies to the manufacturers base warranty... 3/36, 5/100 powertrain, etc...
It does NOT apply to "extended warranties", "Toyotacare", or any other 3rd-party "warranty" that is paid for over and above the price of the vehicle (or provided by the dealer).

This is good to know.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Had it not been for the TPMS, I would have come out at 5am the next day to find a flat tire, and my parking arrangement does not allow for access to the spare.
Another vote for TPMS. I won't be defeating it on my truck, and I wish my second car had it. My work vehicle has it and it's allowed me to plan for a spare change, rather than have to perform one when the tire is too low to drive any farther.

If I was Bill, I'd get it working.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #47
Lone Star Club

Quote:
They can't deny coverage on the ENTIRE powertrain (engine included) due to a lift. They could deny impacted systems such as the drive shaft, CVs, and the transmission if oversized tires are installed.
This what I was trying to say. When I hear
voided I'm thinking entire warranty. They're not responsible for aftermarket parts. I thought that was a given.
Although if the part is not available through the manufacture then you may be allowed to use an aftermarket substitute. NPN parts.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #48
Memichal132Baron is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
Memichal132Baron's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted - hub bearing - warranty voided?

Quote:
This what I was trying to say. When I here voided I'm thinking entire warranty. They're not responsible for aftermarket parts. I thought that was a given.
Although if the part is not available through the manufacture then you may be allowed to use an aftermarket substitute. NPN parts.
I just brought my taco in and the dealer wants to charge me $830 to replace the passenger side hub assembly because the hub bearing is bad and making noise/grinding. I have 35's and a 6" procomp stage 1. They told me that due to the tires going outside the wheel wells, that is the direct cause of the bearing going.

Has anyone else had this issue? And have you had any luck fighting it? I am at 58K mileage (still inside my 5yr/100k warranty window). They said they cslled Toyota and they denied the claim. Any chance the MLM law can help me on this or am I basically screwed?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #50
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
My gears and lockers most likely killed my warranty
Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #51
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memichal132Baron View Post
I just brought my taco in and the dealer wants to charge me $830 to replace the passenger side hub assembly because the hub bearing is bad and making noise/grinding. I have 35's and a 6" procomp stage 1. They told me that due to the tires going outside the wheel wells, that is the direct cause of the bearing going.

Has anyone else had this issue? And have you had any luck fighting it? I am at 58K mileage (still inside my 5yr/100k warranty window). They said they cslled Toyota and they denied the claim. Any chance the MLM law can help me on this or am I basically screwed?

To me your pretty much on your own as you lifted the truck and run tires bigger then they recommend to run is how they see it. The Procomp doesn't have a drivertrain warranty?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #52
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and my disappearing sway bar mod is probably a no no to the dealership too
Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #53
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memichal132Baron View Post

Unfortunately Toyota has the advantage on that one. The lift itself was not the issue, but running oversized tires on wheels that may have an offset that is too high can be. Toyota can easily deny that repair. It unfortunately would be up to you, and hiring a lawyer, to sue Toyota for violating the M.M. Act.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #54
Lone Star Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
Oh and my disappearing sway bar mod is probably a no no to the dealership too
I swear it just fell right off.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #55
Ken b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud of
Air Force: Crew Chief, MSgt, Retired
Name: Ken
Ken b's Tacoma Gallery
I am running the Toyota TRD Baja Rims on my truck with slightly taller tires 265/75-16 as opposed to stock 265/70-16. Next is a 3" lift and that will likly kill my drive train warranty. I don't plan to run any taller tires than presently installed so I might get away with it.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #56
lsutiger1 is on a distinguished road

lsutiger1's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I called my Toyota dealership and asked them how much the would charge to install a lift in my 14 yota and at first they said 700 to install a leveling kit and all would be covered under warranty. Well when I called to schedule my appt.they said that they made a mistake and that couldn't install any kind of lift. I then asked them how come they sell lifted trucks and he said that they have to be lifted by the Regional dept before they make it to the dealership.
I just don't want to be stuck with a huge mechanical problem thats not covered under warranty so I guess I have to live without a lift!!! And that SUCKS!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #57
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I could see them saying you were beyond mileage with larger tires and no odometer adjustment.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #58
SkimSTI is on a distinguished road
SkimSTI's Tacoma Gallery
this wasn't recent, but yearrrrs ago, when i owned a 2004 dblcab, i got a king coilover kit shortly after purchasing the truck..

the brakes went out wayyy prematurely. i want to say about 8 thousand miles into it. took it to the dealer i purchased from and they told me my lift was causing a premature brake failure (i have had lifted trucks before, i have never heard of a lift causing premature brake wear)... so i argued. They kept denying me for warranty.

i eventually argued enough that they replaced them, no charge, just to get me out of their hair..

fast forward, to the new set of brakes, another 5-8k miles go by. the new set is shot.... go back again, same argument and them trying to deny my claim blaming the lift etc etc etc...

called toyota corporate. shot a few emails. eventually i got another set of brakes. then it was good after the 2nd brake job..... what a nightmare that was. i hate dealerships.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #59
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken b View Post
I am running the Toyota TRD Baja Rims on my truck with slightly taller tires 265/75-16 as opposed to stock 265/70-16. Next is a 3" lift and that will likly kill my drive train warranty. I don't plan to run any taller tires than presently installed so I might get away with it.
Yes and no. If a U-joint or CV boot fails, they can easily deny the claim, but if the torque converter dies, they'd have a much more difficult time proving that your alterations were involved.

Best bet on any warranty claim is to take it to the dealership and see what they say. It doesn't hurt to ask, and I've seen dealerships cover repairs that could've been denied.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #60
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hill View Post
About 2 months ago I bought my 2008 Tacoma Pickup. Prettiest truck .................................. Anyway, I put in for a flat & also told them the tire pressure light was on. They said because the wheels were changed out for 20" wheels and that they had no tire sensors on them, I would have to pay $150. a wheel for the sensors & they would install them. The Sensors would cost $ 600.00 & they would fix the problem. ......................... Would you pay them the $600.00 to fix the problem or order the sensors yourself & have them put them on to fix the problem, or is it a big deal to have that? Love to read your input about this & ideas as to what I should do.
Seems to me, you're on the hook for the sensors, if you bought and installed 20's without them.

About 8 pages of good info on TPMS and Clone-able Sensors here:
TPMS Options for Multiple Wheel Sets (I.e., Winter/Summer, Street/Off-Road, etc.)

Schrader EZ-Sensor Programmable TPMS Available at Amazon for $50-$75 ea.
You won't buy the TPMS Valves for Stock Tacoma Wheels, You'll have to research for proper sensors.
Keep in mind that units that fit Steel Wheels are not interchangeable with Alloy Wheels.

I like the system in my Tacoma, and have not had it light up once in 4 years.
I do monitor my pressure frequently, for the purpose of tire wear and ride.
So I know if I see the TPMS light, I've got a problem.

CC