Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who has been told they've voided their warranty? What mod did it

Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Who has been told they've voided their warranty? What mod did it

Just curious.
Has anyone been told by a dealer they've voided their warranty?
If so; was it due to tire size? Lift? Other?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
fur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fur pig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post
Just curious.
Has anyone been told by a dealer they've voided their warranty?
If so; was it due to tire size? Lift? Other?
I worked for Ford previously in my career and now work for another OEM and an automotive manufacturer CAN NOT deny a warranty claim unless they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the failure is directly attributable to the modification. It is VERY rare that a warranty claim falls into this category and always keep in mind that the threat of litigation is very persuasive.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Good info. Thanks guys.
I have a friend who works at a yota dealer and he said he has not seen much get denied.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
WarDamn is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
WarDamn's Tacoma Gallery
your dealer can try to deny you for some BS reason... all it takes is a couple phone calls up the ladder and you will be getting your warranty work. I had a clutch go out on a lexus at 40K.. dealer said no way. I called the regional rep.. he said no problem. Dont let dealers jerk you around.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fur pig View Post
I worked for Ford previously in my career and now work for another OEM and an automotive manufacturer CAN NOT deny a warranty claim unless they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the failure is directly attributable to the modification. It is VERY rare that a warranty claim falls into this category and always keep in mind that the threat of litigation is very persuasive.
Absolutely. The Magnuson-Moss Act backs this up.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Weou09 is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
Weou09's Tacoma Gallery
I could see them voiding/trying to void a drive train warranty for a lift or different tire size easy. Also all this "they can't" is wrong. A manufacturer will do whatever they want if you change out parts that could, or even pertaining, to a warranty covered problem you have they can and probably will void the given warranty section for the problem. If you think I am crazy ask a new 5.0 owner with a blown number 8 or a 5th gen camaro that has had the transmission issues.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
For some weird reason they voided the powertrain portion of my warrantee after I installed an aftermarket Supercharger.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weou09 View Post
I could see them voiding/trying to void a drive train warranty for a lift or different tire size easy. Also all this "they can't" is wrong. A manufacturer will do whatever they want if you change out parts that could, or even pertaining, to a warranty covered problem you have they can and probably will void the given warranty section for the problem. If you think I am crazy ask a new 5.0 owner with a blown number 8 or a 5th gen camaro that has had the transmission issues.
It's not wrong at all. If you let them steamroll you, they will because it's cheaper. But it's on the dealership to prove the issue. I get my transmission replaced after I put my lift and bigger tires on because the failure wasn't due to the extra parts.
I have no idea what the details on those problems are - care to explain a bit insted of just dropping some obscure reference and acting like it proves you right??
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
For some weird reason they voided the powertrain portion of my warrantee after I installed an aftermarket Supercharger.
I can see how that would be possible.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I have no idea what the details on those problems are - care to explain a bit insted of just dropping some obscure reference and acting like it proves you right??
X2
And thus the wonderment of the Internet. I asked "has anyone voided theirs" and what the circumstances were.

I get random babble about a 5th gen camaro.

Stellar.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Teeps1206 is a glorious beacon of lightTeeps1206 is a glorious beacon of lightTeeps1206 is a glorious beacon of lightTeeps1206 is a glorious beacon of lightTeeps1206 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy: Aviation Electronics Technician 2nd Class
Name: Mike
Teeps1206's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X2
And thus the wonderment of the Internet. I asked "has anyone voided theirs" and what the circumstances were.

Stellar.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
Weou09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's not wrong at all. If you let them steamroll you, they will because it's cheaper. But it's on the dealership to prove the issue. I get my transmission replaced after I put my lift and bigger tires on because the failure wasn't due to the extra parts.
Yes I'll explain. Simple bolt ons and tunes equals melted number 8 piston for quite a few 5.0 owners with no number 8 piston failures from boosted 5.0s. Some think its a timing issue, I think it's a cooling problem like the 4 valve Cobra had. Ford has been very strict in saying no to any claims even though most tunes had very conservative timing and fat fuel mixtures. After the first few Ford began voiding power train warranties if the computer had been tuned at all. Same thing with the camaros that had problems. Tranny that is in the Vette, and similar to the one in the Gt500, failing and if signs of burnouts and or track use were found warranties were voided. Even though most cases did not show signs of either forms of abuse and the failures were identical.
Quote:
X2

Stellar.
I was not randomly talking I was voicing my opinion to the people that were saying Toyota could not void warranties for aftermarket parts. I had a 03 Tacoma dbl cab with 40k and 285/65/16(a small change in tire size compared to stock) I had a ball joint issue that Toyota claimed to be a cause of the tire. They did not void my warranty but would not pay for the fix. Before some one says I did not try hard enough I was without being able to drive the truck for 2 months fighting them on the issue.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #14

Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weou09 View Post

I was not randomly talking I was voicing my opinion to the people that were saying Toyota could not void warranties for aftermarket parts. I had a 03 Tacoma dbl cab with 40k and 285/65/16(a small change in tire size compared to stock) I had a ball joint issue that Toyota claimed to be a cause of the tire. They did not void my warranty but would not pay for the fix. Before some one says I did not try hard enough I was without being able to drive the truck for 2 months fighting them on the issue.
Well something like that out can always put smaller tires on and go to another dealer
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
Weou09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well something like that out can always put smaller tires on and go to another dealer
Yea I tried that. Apparently they had put notes in with my vin so the other dealer knew what was up. I had just had the tires put on maybe 1k miles before the issue so I knew it wasn't likely the tires caused it but it is what it is. If you are worried about your warranty OP then keep it to appearance mods. Because one person's experience with modding and warranty claims will be different than yours and everyone else.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
jbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the rough
jbrenn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can't do anything to blanket void your warranty...if you make a modification and it can be linked to the failure you are looking to get covered they might give you a hard time or might not cover it, but that is the risk you run changing stuff from factory parts.
If you total the car and buy it back that void the warranty. Even if it is just cosmetic like hail damage. That is possible but rare.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Totaling a car is not a mod.
Extra money?!?! Lots of mods
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Had my lift installed at the dealership so it would be covered under warranty...a week later the front end starting squeaking so i took it to another dealership to get it looked at and they said if its due to the lift it wouldnt be covered because toyota doesnt install lifts