1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 TRD off road vs. sport

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pjchrisrvm, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Nov 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Ole Shawn

Ole Shawn Well-Known Member

Member:
    ashland, ky
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC TRd Sport
    If the snow is so bad that you need 4low to make it then you shouldnt be out on it anyways, thus the electronically controlled locking rear differential wont be used. I have driven on snow in eastern Kentucky's hilly curvey roads and I never once had it in 4 low. However going downhill on snowy road using the Assist Control (DAC) would help you, but so does gearing down. So I dont know if that would be same or better. For me I needed 4x4, the Sport has it and traction control. The added leaf spring seams to make the suspension tighter and have a sport feel to in in the 95% of the time I will be driving it. (on dry, non-snowy roads). Plus 17inch rims, painted grill, mirrors and hood scoop. It was a no brainer for me to get the Sport. Both trucks are nice and are TRD models. Pretty much get the one you want then like me you can pick a side and argue it lol.

2. Nov 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    IDK , I've used 4LO to control speeds down steeper shitty sections on snow

3. Nov 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Honestly, I'd buy whichever truck looks better to you and invest in a set of snow tires and call it a day.

I've got snows sitting in my garage for my OR. Make sure you're okay with the OR brakes if you decide to go that route. They are different than the Sport models and I'm still not a huge fan of them. I'm curious if different tires that have more grip will be better in traffic. I've got BFG AT's now and I can easily engage ABS in normal driving.

4. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    CPalmer

CPalmer Cruising the Outer Rim...

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    In the market as well:

Looking at either the 4x4 TRD Sport or OR in the used market 2011ish or newer, under or close to 20K miles. Living in NW so snow is not a problem but the dove field can get muddy and the ramp for the duck boat is in good shape. Not worried about either of the the two models having issues with that. So, the main question is how much of a harsher, or less comfortable ride, is the OR compared to the more street Sport model? Some of the family is about 5 hours away and wondering if my lower back is going to have more issues over one model or the other. Does the OR ride 'louder' than the Sport or harder?

Also, I've seen a few with turning signals in the door mirrors. Is that a dealer option, aftermarket, or specific trim?

Last, I'm thinking that both models an aux input jack for the stereo. Gots to have my tunes. When I picked up my 2008 350Z a few years back and found out there was no aux input I was dumbfounded....

Thanks everyone....

Products Discussed in

To Top