Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 TRD off road vs. sport

Old 12-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
pjchrisrvm is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
pjchrisrvm's Tacoma Gallery
2013 TRD off road vs. sport

In the process of buying a new truck. Is there really a difference between the two? Other than the hood scoop and tires? I want something great in snow, so I lean towards the off road, but I like the hood scoop on the sport. If I get the sport and change the tires to the BFGs willi be as good in the snow as the off road package?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you think the Offroad would be better in snow than the Sport ?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't ther already another thread discussing this?

Everyone will just tell you that what they have is the best.
The guy above has a sport so he will tell you a sport.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post
Isn't ther already another thread discussing this?

Everyone will just tell you that what they have is the best.

WRONG.

I have a sport and I'll tell you an Off-road will be better in the snow. The sport will do fine, but my 07 with mechanical posi breaks loose the tires so ridiculously easy its kinda dangerous without 4WD engaged.

If you're an experienced driver though, you'll be fine with the sport. I'm not exactly sure about the newer posi systems, I know they're brake actuated, so it may not be the same dilemma. With mine, its a learning curve. That being said, I've made it pretty much everywhere an off-road could.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post
Not at all , I would advise him to get whichever truck suits his needs best
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
WRONG.

I have a sport and I'll tell you an Off-road will be better in the snow. The sport will do fine, but my 07 with mechanical posi breaks loose the tires so ridiculously easy its kinda dangerous without 4WD engaged.

If you're an experienced driver though, you'll be fine with the sport. I'm not exactly sure about the newer posi systems, I know they're brake actuated, so it may not be the same dilemma. With mine, its a learning curve. That being said, I've made it pretty much everywhere an off-road could.
Why would an Offroad be better in snow ?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Why would an Offroad be better in snow ?
On any slippery surface, the inside tire of my rear axle will break loose if you're not careful on the gas. Fish tailing is very easy to do without 4WD engaged. You clearly don't have the same problem with your 09, otherwise I'm sure you'd agree. The problem where it really bothered me is going down the highway in icy conditions. I really want the 4WD engaged, but the dry areas of the road keep me from engaging it. When I do eventually hit a patch of ice, it becomes a problem real quick because I"m in 2.

With that in mind, maybe he'd be fine with a sport
Old 12-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
On any slippery surface, the inside tire of my rear axle will break loose if you're not careful on the gas. Fish tailing is very easy to do without 4WD engaged. You clearly don't have the same problem with your 09, otherwise I'm sure you'd agree.

With that in mind, maybe he'd be fine with a sport
Just wondering why it would be any different in the same conditons in an Offroad especially as we are comparing 2013 models ( ie no mechanical LSD )
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not at all , I would advise him to get whichever truck suits his needs best
x2, I don't know much about the newer traction systems, but the locker in the Offroad will only function in low range...unless modded. I will tell you a locker on snowy roads, at speed, is quite frightening...ask me how I know!

If you plan on offroading often, the Offroad would probably be a better choice, if not, the Sport would be fine.

I have a Sport and it works fine for me with the "minimal" amount of offroading I do. I do plan on adding a selectable locker of sorts in the front when money allows.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just wondering why it would be any different in the same conditons in an Offroad ?
The offroad is open diff until you select it. The inside tire will not fight your turn unless you have it locked. I wasn't thinking about the E-lsd wtf is it at the time.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just wondering why it would be any different in the same conditons in an Offroad especially as we are comparing 2013 models ( ie no mechanical LSD )
Are people driving around with their lockers engaged in the OR?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a first time Toyota of any kind owner that just yesterday took possession of a new 13 Tacoma and though I REALLY like the look of the hood scoop on the TRD Sport I wanted the locking diff. more. I'm coming from and 09 Rubicon that I could lock front and back so having a lockable rear was a bigger deal to ME than the looks of the hood scoop. But, I do REALLY like how that hood scoop looks.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
I'm a first time Toyota of any kind owner that just yesterday took possession of a new 13 Tacoma and though I REALLY like the look of the hood scoop on the TRD Sport I wanted the locking diff. more. I'm coming from and 09 Rubicon that I could lock front and back so having a lockable rear was a bigger deal to ME than the looks of the hood scoop. But, I do REALLY like how that hood scoop looks.
Skewps rule. Keep an eye out, theres plenty of people who want to trade.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
I could be wrong but I think we've done the math and if you really like the look of the sport it's cheaper to buy the sport and add a locker to the rear than to buy the OR and add the sport package.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
Recklessly tired

Quote:
The offroad is open diff until you select it. The inside tire will not fight your turn unless you have it locked. I wasn't thinking about the E-lsd wtf is it at the time.
Sport and OR should be the exact same in 2WD or 4WD not including A-Trac in 4-LO and the rear locker. LSD's should be same in both from year to year?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Sport and OR should be the exact same in 2WD or 4WD not including A-Trac in 4-LO and the rear locker. LSD's should be same in both from year to year?
Nope, 05-08 has posi. I have no traction control buttons period. Not even atrac. 09's and up all have the electronic limited slip, which is nothing more than traction control for the rear tires IMO, it uses the braking system. When I step on the gas in a turn, the rear axle (for lack of better words) locks up, the inside tire turns faster than its moving.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope, 05-08 has posi. I have no traction control buttons period. Not even atrac. 09's and up all have the electronic limited slip, which is nothing more than traction control for the rear tires IMO, it uses the braking system.
OP is comparing 2013 models
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OP is comparing 2013 models
I know. And I said I knew this afterwards, but people keep asking questions.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know. And I said I knew this afterwards, but people keep asking questions.
I just didn't want the OP to get confused

Probably too late , lol