Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another Door Lock Actuator *patch* thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
kwade will become famous soon enoughkwade will become famous soon enough
Name: kwade
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
Another Door Lock Actuator *patch* thread

Over on the TechChat forum, I made a couple posts about a taco lock actuator failure.
I promised to teardown and patch attempt this weekend.
I did and I got a few cellphone pics.
I don't have time right now to get everything properly posted here, so I'll do it in stages. Hold on. I have about 15 pics to show.
Then add some commentary and link the tumbs to full size pics.
I do have a photobucket account, so I'll use that.

First, the actuator, still connected by mechanical links.

Link connector cover open

Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwade View Post
Over on the TechChat forum, I made a couple posts about a taco lock actuator failure.
I promised to teardown and patch attempt this weekend.
I did and I got a few cellphone pics.
I don't have time right now to get everything properly posted here, so I'll do it in stages. Hold on. I have about 15 pics to show.
Then add some commentary and link the tumbs to full size pics.
I do have a photobucket account, so I'll use that.
Or get tapatalk app,real easy posting pics then.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks K
I'll look into it. I have the photobucket pics ready, just working them in to my time
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
Actuator assembly case cover removed

The prize. Now to remove it.

I removed the switch assembly to get the motor electrical connectors out of the way. two screws (Not the one holding the switch down.)
Switch assembly and actuator with motor removed

The prize with embossed info VD297427 made in Vietnam

Commutator end.
Now to crack this nut.
Pry up the locking tabs from the grooves
difficult . you can see the chewed up metal in this pic

Problem. Burned Commutator bars.
I used some fine sandpaper to burnish the bar surfaces.
I did NOT have very fine, so I folded the sandpaper in to a long thin
strip and gripped it about 2 inches away from the commutator so as NOT to scratch the copper too much.
I polished the resulting surface with grocery store paper bag. Comm is a bit out of focus on the AFTER pic.
Before and after

Brush housing

Now to reassembly......
I tried several approaches.
1. Removing the bushing and plastic washer from the shaft at the commutator. I placed the bushing and washer in the comm housing and attempted to finesse the comm between the brushes and then into the hole in the housing. Did not work!
2. Insert narrow piece of cardstock between the brush holder, insert comm and remove cardstock. Did not work!
3. Same as #2, except using very thin plastic (very thin water bottle). Same result as #2. Did not work!
4. Pull the gear about 1/2 inch away from the motor housing.
Mine would slide down the shaft, so this was easy. It made a bit of viewing room at the comm end during assembly.

Insert this into the motor shaft hole in the brush housing.

Then insert the commutator part-way into brush assembly, slowly, gently rotating the curved pick (thanks Pugga) to cause the commutator brush spring clips to get out of the way of the comm while pressing slightly on the top of gear.
Once seated, I pressed the gear back to original position.
I ohmed the motor for connection, the put the DMM in volt mode and spun the motor. The generated voltage confirmed the connection.
I removed the DMM and spun the motor a bit to aid in brush seating.
I reassembled all of the bits, taking care to place the blue bar back and the switch arm where they belong. You can see the blue bar in the second pic, under the switch arm, and in the third pic at the top.
I put the case back together and inserted the electrical connector to test it. It did not work.
But then, nothing else worked. My battery had died overnight! I guess the door being open for a while was enough to finish the battery. It was the original Toyota/JohnsonControls battery from 2008.
I charged the battery for several minutes and rechecked. The actuator worked. It was slamming the actuator in and out of lock position. I remounted the lock actuator and left to buy a new battery!
Thanks TW. Now I just hope to get a few years out of this patch!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up,thanks for sharing.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
Good write up,thanks for sharing.
YOU are welcome, Kolunatic!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amo-cat3 View Post
Thanks for the write up and pics Kwade - Good job!! Hope they work for another 200,000 miles.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
Small update.
I mentioned earlier that I had to replace my battery. Now I have to kill the seatbelt chime again.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to say it, but it didn't last a full month. It is back!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine have been making an intermittent grinding noise onthe dr rear door for a whole now. Sound much more like a stripped gear in my case tho. Did yours make any noise before they failed?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I did this fix a while back, almost a year ago and they are still going strong. My driver's side lock would not react at all, I had to manually lock and unlock it. I tore everything apart and cleaned it with CRC Electrical Cleaner (red can, looks like Brakleen). Everything is still working perfectly.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
kwade's Tacoma Gallery
CtTaco,
No grinding. The sound like a double-push of the LOCK button is what I heard.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
RichieW13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
RichieW13's Tacoma Gallery
I fixed my driver door about 10 months ago. It has just stopped working again.

Also, my left rear door stopped working a couple months ago.

This is so annoying. Have any aftermarket companies come up with a better design?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mines still under warranty thankfully. I doesn't do it all the time so it's been hardto make it happen infront of them but a least its on the books as being a problem so if it fails after warranty it's been well documented (I hope )
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
NCTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
NCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have 3 of 4 not functioning properly. I tried to get mine apart but couldn't get the case apart to get to the motor without breaking it. Probably doing something wrong but I'm not sure. 5 galvanized screws and 1 black screw. Got all the clips seperated but couldn't get it to pull apart. I can get the front actuator at cost though a buddy for $200. Are any of the aftermarket actuators worth anything? Seems like I saw some of those for around $60-70. I would rather fix mine but I'm not having much luck. Any help?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
RichieW13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
RichieW13's Tacoma Gallery
How many of you have taken apart your actuators only for them to quit working again a few months later?

I now have 3 doors that don't work. Last time it took me at least 2 hours to remove, clean and reassemble ONE actuator. I'm not looking forward to a 6-hour project, only to have to do it again a few months later.

So frustrating.