Actuator assembly case cover removed
The prize. Now to remove it.
I removed the switch assembly to get the motor electrical connectors out of the way. two screws (Not the one holding the switch down.)
Switch assembly and actuator with motor removed
The prize with embossed info VD297427 made in Vietnam
Now to crack this nut.
Pry up the locking tabs from the grooves
difficult . you can see the chewed up metal in this pic
Problem. Burned Commutator bars.
I used some fine sandpaper to burnish the bar surfaces.
I did NOT have very fine, so I folded the sandpaper in to a long thin
strip and gripped it about 2 inches away from the commutator so as NOT to scratch the copper too much.
I polished the resulting surface with grocery store paper bag. Comm is a bit out of focus on the AFTER pic.
Before and after
Now to reassembly......
I tried several approaches.
1. Removing the bushing and plastic washer from the shaft at the commutator. I placed the bushing and washer in the comm housing and attempted to finesse the comm between the brushes and then into the hole in the housing. Did not work!
2. Insert narrow piece of cardstock between the brush holder, insert comm and remove cardstock. Did not work!
3. Same as #2, except using very thin plastic (very thin water bottle). Same result as #2. Did not work!
4. Pull the gear about 1/2 inch away from the motor housing.
Mine would slide down the shaft, so this was easy. It made a bit of viewing room at the comm end during assembly.
Insert this into the motor shaft hole in the brush housing.
Then insert the commutator part-way into brush assembly, slowly, gently rotating the curved pick (thanks Pugga) to cause the commutator brush spring clips to get out of the way of the comm while pressing slightly on the top of gear.
Once seated, I pressed the gear back to original position.
I ohmed the motor for connection, the put the DMM in volt mode and spun the motor. The generated voltage confirmed the connection.
I removed the DMM and spun the motor a bit to aid in brush seating.
I reassembled all of the bits, taking care to place the blue bar back and the switch arm where they belong. You can see the blue bar in the second pic, under the switch arm, and in the third pic at the top.
I put the case back together and inserted the electrical connector to test it. It did not work.
But then, nothing else worked. My battery had died overnight!
I guess the door being open for a while was enough to finish the battery. It was the original Toyota/JohnsonControls battery from 2008.
I charged the battery for several minutes and rechecked. The actuator worked. It was slamming
the actuator in and out of lock position. I remounted the lock actuator and left to buy a new battery!
Thanks TW. Now I just hope to get a few years out of this patch!