1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying advice: '06 TRD Off-Road

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by knapp, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dec 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    knapp

knapp [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys,
    I've been in the market for a Tacoma for a bit and here is one that I'm about settled on. The truck is in Michigan. TRD Off-road package, One owner, Toyota Certified Pre-owned, Clean Carfax with 20+ maintenance records. Tow package as well.

Price $17,680
    Mileage 80,065
    Exterior Color Silver Streak Mica
    Interior Color Graphite
    Engine 6 Cylinder
    Transmission Automatic

My main concern is that there is some rust in the engine bay. The block has a grey discoloration, I believe the technical term is oxidation. A few hose clamps were rust colored and a patch of the right side of the engine bay had a rust color tinge to it. Does anyone know based on this vague description if this poses a big problem? I really appreciate any advice.

2. Dec 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts
    It's hard to say until you get a look in person. I have an '07 4Runner and some of my hose clamps in the engine bay have a little bit of rust on them and it's been garage kept since day one and exposed to the elements very little. My 4Runner looks as good today as it did the day I drove it home, but I'm sure a Michigan truck has seen its fair share of snow, salt, etc. so I would take a close look at it before I pulled the trigger. Good luck!

3. Dec 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    knapp

knapp [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm from TN and was stationed in San Diego for 6 years, so I have 0 knowledge on rust. I see the rust, but I don't know if it's severe enough to warrant looking elsewhere.

4. Dec 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    if you are in doubt then dont do it. There is probably more rust that you dont see on that truck. The price is OK

5. Dec 25, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    knapp

knapp [OP] New Member

Member:
    Can the greying on the block be undone? I did some quick searches and it seems like you can eat it off with some product brushed onto the block. Aside from the block discoloration, the only other thing I really noticed was the clips and filter hose clamp were rusted.

I'm trying to figure out if its not bad enough to cause serious damage down the road and use the rust as leverage to lower the asking price. I'll likely be moving to Utah in June where I believe it might be less likely to rust.

Products Discussed in

To Top