Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brand new Tacoma is already rusting!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Leave it alone. The "rust" actually forms a protective barrier. Why do you think the don't paint highway overpasses?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Leave it alone. The "rust" actually forms a protective barrier. Why do you think the don't paint highway overpasses?

LOL... god I hope your not a mechanic.

tell that to this guy

OP - never leave parts to rust. Prevent rust whenever you can because once it starts it's much harder to control.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #23
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Normal
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
100% normal for some parts to instantly rust once they leave factory

for nuts and bolts, that is why mechanics have cutoff torches. most all cars will
need something burned off/heated up/hammered/chiseled to replace a part someday

now, if you see rust on a painted part, then there is an issue
---
for any of this rust under the vehicle (except hot parts) just blast some Krown or
Boeshield on it, cosmoline,....any of the corrosion protection stuff...on a regular basis,
and it will stave it off... and can prevent use of torches later on to remove stuff
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
Welcome to TW, TacoNate! A moderator (Brunes) and I work together near you - on the Naval air station in Belle Chasse.

As others have said, all should be fine w/ your truck. As far as Fluid Film goes, we use it on our Coast Guard helos since they routinely operate in salt air environments and are often covered in salt spray. It's a thick product and would seem to attract all sorts of dirt and grime. For those who use it on your trucks, any problems with dirt/sand/dust stuck to your FF-coated frames?
I spent a week blasting around Utah trails with FF freshly applied. There was a thin, uniform layer of Martian red on most everything, but some of that would've happened even without FF. As I've washed the truck since then, a lot of the dust has come off, but the FF remains. I haven't used a borescope inside the enclosed areas, but I'm sure there's a light coating of dust there, too.

I'm not very worried about FF attracting too much dirt. I can wash off the dust easy enough to work on an area, as I'll do before replacing bump stops. After the work is done, I'll splatter a little more on that area. It's not a show truck that needs a spotless undercarriage, and it has no effect on the body paint. If someone demands a clean underside, FF and the like aren't for them, but I doubt they'll like rust much better.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
LOL... god I hope your not a mechanic.

tell that to this guy

OP - never leave parts to rust. Prevent rust whenever you can because once it starts it's much harder to control.

The topic of discussion was about the cast iron components. Rust on stamped steel components, like the frame should be addressed.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #27
TacoNate has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNate has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNate has a spectacular aura about
TacoNate's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you!

Thanks, one and all, for the warm welcome! I appreciate it, especially the razziní I got from some of you.

This is my second Tacoma, and my first new one. I lost my previous one, which I loved, because it got a little Ďmoistí in Hurricane Katrina. The last seven years Iíve had an old Ranger which did honorable service hauling everything from two-by lumber to top soil as I rebuilt after the storm. When the Ranger appeared to have two wheels in the grave I decided to take the plunge with a new Tacoma.

I'm still a little disappointed that there was so much rust on my brand new vehicle's front end. I mean, sure, you guys make a good point- Bare metal will rust, and cast parts will rust fast, but why is there so much uncoated metal surface to begin with? We have the technology, itís called paint. Iím not expecting nickel plating, just paint. Beyond the machined surfaces, I found it especially disconcerting that the control arm bolts are already rusting. If that's what they look like after a few hundred miles, what will they look like after tens of thousands of miles when they might need to be loosened for service? Will the rusting over the years weaken them? That's not just a hassle, but potentially it could be a safety issue. Call me anally retentive, but itís 2012, I just expect better from a first world manufacturer.

The flecks of rust on the frame rails and inside a few holes was disappointing too. Decades ago, I used to work at the Ford frame plant at the Rouge Complex in Dearborn, MI. All the truck frames there were treated in a chromate solution and then dip-coated in paint to prevent rust. And that was 25 years ago. What's up, Toyota?

Let me address you guysí points, trying to credit and thank everyone for their kind and thoughtful contributions:

Maxamillion2345, OffroadToy, and DoorDing-
I found Fluid Film on the Web site for OíReilly Auto Parts. When I went to my local OíReilly outlet today, none of the staff there had heard of the product. We found it on their system and theyíve ordered it for me. It should be here in a few days. Thanks for the tip!

JNome-
I looked for a shop that does undercoating around here. Iíve discovered that we donít have nearby shops that do that here in ďThe Sowf.Ē By nearby, I mean closer than Corpus Christi, TX. The only Ziebart outlet around here only does auto glass. Timeís ticking and I should get it done while the truck is still new, and Iíll keep lookingÖ

DR Da_da-
Irrelevant to this thread, but I am a huge fan of the Coasties in their helos. Their work during Katrina was nothing short of heroic. The whole N.O. area will never forget their incredible skill and bravery. Hey, is someone slicing onions around here? Sniff. Damn onions. Best wishes for the New Year to everyone at Belle Chasse NAS!

Gasgasman-
Steel does not form a protective oxidation layer like aluminum does. Cast iron does better than steel, but it all crumbles to dust eventually. Unless itís made of COR-TEN(tm) steel, oxidation is not going to help. Also, they should be painting highway overpasses, our infrastructure is going to hell. There is no excuse for ignoring its maintenance. But thatís off-topic.

127.0.0.1-
Loopback, you have the same IP as I do! Who woulda thunk it? Computers aside, I have to disagree with your assumption. I think that everything that isnít welded at the factory should be disassemble-able (if thatís a word.) That is, a cutting torch should not need to be used to free up a normal service item like steering and suspension linkages. Just my opinion. Heat? Yes. Persuasion? Yes. Cutting torch? No, not for a service item, other than for exhaust parts and a few others. Címon, itís the 21st Century, we can do better than that. Toyota can too. As for painted parts. See my comments on the frame, above.

Well, thatís it. Sorry for the long post. And thanks for the help and the welcome, everyone! I spend a lot of time on my favorite motorbike forum, and this Tacoma forum seems to be as passionate, responsive, and informative as that one. Iím impressed. And grateful. All my best to all of you for the New Year.

Nate
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
fluid film or waxoil or por15 if you want a really involved job
Old 12-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Where the hell are the CV shafts?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
It's 2wd.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #31
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNate View Post
I bought a brand new Tacoma Prerunner a few weeks back. It now has about 750 miles on it. I looked at the underside and this is what I found- Rust.

The steering knuckle, control arm bolts, and tie-rod and sway bar mounts are all rusting. Already. There are surface rust points on the frame and in a couple of the holes in the frame. The dealer said this is normal. i don't believe them. Am I wrong? Is this to be expected? What should I do about this? Is the new Toyota owner expected to complete his truck's paint job?

BTW, I've only driven through one rain storm and have never driven it in salt water. Never taken it off pavement.
Holy shit that truck is clean
Old 12-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #32
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
It's 2wd.
Joking. Very clean though.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
TacoNate has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNate has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNate has a spectacular aura about
TacoNate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom30 View Post
Joking. Very clean though.
Hey, it's new. But I bet my GSA's been filthier than your Vstrom.

You kids kill me. RWD only, FTW!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #34
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 had more rust than that on it when it was brand new on the lot up here
Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #35
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Unpainted metal, meet moisture, and have oxidation!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Like OZ-T my 10' had that much or more when I first got it off the lot in Alaska.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #37
Hey, mine's rear wheel drive most of the time.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #38
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Move roughly 1400 miles due west, right down I-10 and you won't have to worry about such things.

One of the perks of living in the desert but there are times I miss that wet stuff that falls from the sky.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #39
jamesdemien is on a distinguished road
jamesdemien's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom30 View Post
Where the hell are the CV shafts?
They rusted off
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Unpainted metal, meet moisture, and have oxidation!
It's worse than that - when two different metals are touching, you get galvanic corrosion, which will basically accelerate the process.