Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brand new Tacoma is already rusting!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #42
Doug2000 is on a distinguished road

Doug2000's Tacoma Gallery
Oil undercoat your truck, I don't like ziebart, it's a one time deal, it dries out and is way to expensive, and what if they miss a spot.

I have undercoated my 08, 4 times now, they spray the bottom, inside the frame, drill holes in the doors, the tailgate, and the rockers and spray in every corner. They put a little plastic cap in the drilled holes to keep the stuff out.

I won't even buy a used vehicle hasn't been oil sprayed, you can always tell the ones that have been.

Krown is said to be the best, but I go to Oil Guard, here in Toronto Area.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #43
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Spray those spots with fluid film and that rust will disappear.
Does this product actually kill and stop the rust from forming or is it more of a preventive?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #44
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
Does this product actually kill and stop the rust from forming or is it more of a preventive?
Both.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/

If it's rust scale, I'd clean it up so there's less crud between the FF and good metal. That'd also allow a better inspection of the damage. If it's just a light layer of rust, I'd hit it with FF and leave it alone.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #45
Excellent! i just picked up a can cause some jack@#$ gouged my corner bumper down to bare metal and it has started to rust...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #46
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Excellent! i just picked up a can cause some jack@#$ gouged my corner bumper down to bare metal and it has started to rust...
On a 2013? Ouch!

I hit a deer with 1500 miles on my 2012, so I feel your pain. FF should stop the rust, and iirc, it's supposed to leave a nice shine on chrome. Unfortunately, nothing but re-chroming will make it blend in with the rest of the chrome. The good news is there are other options.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #47
Seriously?!!
forsythfd922 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
forsythfd922's Tacoma Gallery
If you live near the ocean, or somewhere the roads are salted frequently, rust will present more readily that other areas. A friend of mine from the north east had a new 2005 F-150, and my 1989 F-150 had less rust on the underbody/cast iron parts than his. Like other said, don't sweat it until it's involving the frame.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #48
Chuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: ICE - San Diego Field Office
Chuy's Tacoma Gallery
I went out to check for myself my 07. It has rust in the same areas except for the tie rod and LCA bolts. It's possible I sprayed some silicone when I installed the 5100's three years ago - I just don't recall doing it . Point is you want to address the threads asap so the nuts don't rust shut on you. I would take the nut off, wire brush the threads and spray some lube. Shoot, maybe even cover up the LCA bolt with a piece of rubber hose.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #49
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
I went out to check for myself my 07. It has rust in the same areas except for the tie rod and LCA bolts. It's possible I sprayed some silicone when I installed the 5100's three years ago - I just don't recall doing it . Point is you want to address the threads asap so the nuts don't rust shut on you. I would take the nut off, wire brush the threads and spray some lube. Shoot, maybe even cover up the LCA bolt with a piece of rubber hose.
The worst part of the LCA rust is where you can't get at it , the bolts seize to the inner metal bushing sleeve

Also be aware when you're wrenching on the LCA cam bolts , you can fairly easily throw out your alignment
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The worst part of the LCA rust is where you can't get at it , the bolts seize to the inner metal bushing sleeve

Also be aware when you're wrenching on the LCA cam bolts , you can fairly easily throw out your alignment
After seeing what a PITA that job can be, I'm tempted to pull the bolts and add some anti-seize compound. At the least, I should blast them with the Fluid Film spray can's straw and see how well it creeps into there.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #51
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
rust never sleeps
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #52
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
After seeing what a PITA that job can be, I'm tempted to pull the bolts and add some anti-seize compound. At the least, I should blast them with the Fluid Film spray can's straw and see how well it creeps into there.
Take them out and do it properly while you can
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Take them out and do it properly while you can
I really should. I saw that you have a new set of bolts. If you can, please post a pic of what's left of the old ones to horrify everyone.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #54
cmghoughton is on a distinguished road
Army: Ex Armor Crewmember
Name: Doug
cmghoughton's Tacoma Gallery
I fell for that undercoating spray when I bought my 2012, and I was kicking myself for falling for the dealer. But after driving my truck for about a month then getting the coating, it made my ride much more quiet. I climbed under and checked everywhere and they did a pretty good job, only missed a few spots hear and there but I don't remember seeing rust.

I would recommend it just for the noise reduction but still think it's a good idea.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #55

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I really should. I saw that you have a new set of bolts. If you can, please post a pic of what's left of the old ones to horrify everyone.
I have to cut out the old ones

and the " new set " is second hand , but the owner that put them in his truck in '09 was aware of the issue and greased them on install , they cleaned up almost as good as new for me today .

When I started looking at my bolts this summer , a crap load of rust flakes and rust sludge was already built up inside the bushing and 2 are seized
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #56
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #57
Quote:
Both.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/

If it's rust scale, I'd clean it up so there's less crud between the FF and good metal. That'd also allow a better inspection of the damage. If it's just a light layer of rust, I'd hit it with FF and leave it alone.

Hit it with FF them paint over it MGM touch up?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #58

Quote:
Hit it with FF them paint over it MGM touch up?
You can't paint over Fluid Film, and I don't think MGM will look very good against chrome. You said the scratch went down to metal, but I see that you have a Sport. Do you have a metal bumper or a plastic, color matched bumper cover?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #59
I dont have any chrome...color match bumpers...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #60
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have to cut out the old ones

and the " new set " is second hand , but the owner that put them in his truck in '09 was aware of the issue and greased them on install , they cleaned up almost as good as new for me today .

When I started looking at my bolts this summer , a crap load of rust flakes and rust sludge was already built up inside the bushing and 2 are seized

Threads finally done for them. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post5088138

Keep your shit greased.....PB and WD ain't gonna do it.

Products Discussed in this Thread