Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brand new Tacoma is already rusting!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #61
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
XXXX, do see any reason not to use anti-seize compound instead of grease? Based on my experience with it in similar conditions, it holds up well enough for this application, maybe better than grease.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #62
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
Excellent! i just picked up a can cause some jack@#$ gouged my corner bumper down to bare metal and it has started to rust...
Quote:
I dont have any chrome...color match bumpers...
I thought the Sport came with plastic bumper covers, front and rear. Is this not the case?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #63
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Threads finally done for them. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post5088138

Keep your shit greased.....PB and WD ain't gonna do it.

Nice
Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #64
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I thought the Sport came with plastic bumper covers, front and rear. Is this not the case?
On the rear bumper, where the SR5/OR has chrome, the Sport is painted. If the paint is chipped through the primer, rust will form.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
On the rear bumper, where the SR5/OR has chrome, the Sport is painted. If the paint is chipped through the primer, rust will form.
Ah, now I see. I didn't spend a lot of time looking over the Sport, so I didn't understand how a plastic bumper cover could rust.

crazyasu45, for a quick fix, you can put Fluid Film on the scratch to prevent further corrosion. It can be cleaned off during paint prep when you want to touch it up. Since you already have rust, you'll want to clean it up as best you can, then use a primer designed to arrest the rust before using the MGM top coat. The Detailing section should have more information for you. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #66
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
XXXX, do see any reason not to use anti-seize compound instead of grease? Based on my experience with it in similar conditions, it holds up well enough for this application, maybe better than grease.
It washes out quicker from what I have found. Need something waterproof for obvious reasons. Excessive grease seems to harden and form a barrier without washing away.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #67
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah, now I see. I didn't spend a lot of time looking over the Sport, so I didn't understand how a plastic bumper cover could rust.

crazyasu45, for a quick fix, you can put Fluid Film on the scratch to prevent further corrosion. It can be cleaned off during paint prep when you want to touch it up. Since you already have rust, you'll want to clean it up as best you can, then use a primer designed to arrest the rust before using the MGM top coat. The Detailing section should have more information for you. Sorry for the confusion.
shiizzaa! forgot the primer...i already sanded down the rust best i could with fine grit trying not to damage the outer edge of the paint then put 3 coats of touch up paint...clear coating next...hope the little bit of rust underneathe doesnt grow...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
It washes out quicker from what I have found. Need something waterproof for obvious reasons. Excessive grease seems to harden and form a barrier without washing away.
You've certainly established your bona fides with those photos!

I have fairly light winters and don't have any U-boat aspirations. I plan to do a suspension upgrade this summer, so I'll put this off until then. From what you've said, a heavy marine grease might be the best lube for the job. Too bad Toyota didn't put a grease path and zerk in the design. I think it'd be hard to DIY it to the current parts.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #69

Quote:
shiizzaa! forgot the primer...i already sanded down the rust best i could with fine grit trying not to damage the outer edge of the paint then put 3 coats of touch up paint...clear coating next...hope the little bit of rust underneathe doesnt grow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
rust never sleeps
Don't worry about it. You'll know when it starts to chew again. In the future, you might try using a sanding pen to clean up rust and loose paint. They're basically a fiberglass stick, and you can trim the tip to fit into very small pits and scratches.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #70
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You've certainly established your bona fides with those photos!

I have fairly light winters and don't have any U-boat aspirations. I plan to do a suspension upgrade this summer, so I'll put this off until then. From what you've said, a heavy marine grease might be the best lube for the job. Too bad Toyota didn't put a grease path and zerk in the design. I think it'd be hard to DIY it to the current parts.

I must say mud/sand/water are worse then salt any day for wear parts.
Yes, a good marine grease would be best IMO. It will attract dirt, but in case's similar to mine who cares. It will be there anyway so why not fill every void with grease to block it.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #71
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
It was built the same day you bought it. These trucks sit for months at a time before being delivered to a dealership When our new vehicles come in at my shop the tires are way over inflated so they don't get flat spots from sitting so long
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #73
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's up with all those keys?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #74
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
What's up with all those keys?
It looks like somebody was trying to make his own sacrificial anodes.

Which is... bizarre and more than a little late.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #75
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
It looks like somebody was trying to make his own sacrificial anodes.

Which is... bizarre and more than a little late.
And doesn't that only work underwater?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #76
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Note the wood screws. The keys act as fender washers to bind the frame to the 2x4 in the back.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #77

Quote:
F150 frame rust:
That's not a truck.
That's art.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #78
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^How does the rustcraft make you FEEL?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #79

Quote:
^How does the rustcraft make you FEEL?
I feel this is a condemnation of the post-modern world. The e-brake cable bisects the timber, representing the noose of our masters, into which we meekly insert our necks for the illusion of prosperity and freedom.

In the present, all is decay, but the key to happiness lies within.

Actually, it makes me feel like someone should call the city about the nutter with a POS Ford sitting in their front yard, with a couch in what's left of the bed.

Products Discussed in this Thread