Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brand new Tacoma is already rusting!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
TacoNate has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNate has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNate has a spectacular aura about
TacoNate's Tacoma Gallery
Brand new Tacoma is already rusting!

I bought a brand new Tacoma Prerunner a few weeks back. It now has about 750 miles on it. I looked at the underside and this is what I found- Rust.

The steering knuckle, control arm bolts, and tie-rod and sway bar mounts are all rusting. Already. There are surface rust points on the frame and in a couple of the holes in the frame. The dealer said this is normal. i don't believe them. Am I wrong? Is this to be expected? What should I do about this? Is the new Toyota owner expected to complete his truck's paint job?

BTW, I've only driven through one rain storm and have never driven it in salt water. Never taken it off pavement.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Look under a vehicle from any manufacturer ever and you're going to find the same thing.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Look under a vehicle from any manufacturer ever and you're going to find the same thing.
X2

Also, any raw cast iron will rust. This isn't the frame. Don't sweat
Old 12-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Made in Maine.... Yessah bub!
JNome has a spectacular aura aboutJNome has a spectacular aura aboutJNome has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard: Ensign
Name: Jake
JNome's Tacoma Gallery
If it bothers you and you drive in a salty environment you can get it undercoated... Ziebart did mine. Our trucks are known for getting rusty... it happens

Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't be concerned about rust on any cast parts, but I would stay on top of any rust on the frame. Fluid film it if you're concerned.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
x2

It's inevitable
Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
TacoNate has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNate has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNate has a spectacular aura about
Okay, so nothing to worry about. Thanks for the replies. Should I coat the rusty spots with something, or spray them with WD-40? Or just ignore it?

The frame has a few small spots where the welds are starting to rust, and some holes with rust inside them. Funny thing is, other other holes are fully coated with paint. I'll touch up those rusty spots on the frame. It'll make me feel better at least. Again, thanks for the advice.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Totally normal. Bare metal rusts.

Looks crazy w/o the front half shafts!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNate View Post
Okay, so nothing to worry about. Thanks for the replies. Should I coat the rusty spots with something, or spray them with WD-40? Or just ignore it?

The frame has a few small spots where the welds are starting to rust, and some holes with rust inside them. Funny thing is, other other holes are fully coated with paint. I'll touch up those rusty spots on the frame. It'll make me feel better at least. Again, thanks for the advice.
Spray those spots with fluid film and that rust will disappear.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I bought a brand new Tacoma Prerunner a few weeks back. It now has about 750 miles on it. I looked at the underside and this is what I found- Rust.

The steering knuckle, control arm bolts, and tie-rod and sway bar mounts are all rusting. Already. There are surface rust points on the frame and in a couple of the holes in the frame. The dealer said this is normal. i don't believe them. Am I wrong? Is this to be expected? What should I do about this? Is the new Toyota owner expected to complete his truck's paint job?

BTW, I've only driven through one rain storm and have never driven it in salt water. Never taken it off pavement.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Spray those spots with fluid film and that rust will disappear.
Thanks! Will do. I'd never heard of that product. I'll get some tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most John Deere dealerships stock it. Search it on here... lots of threads about it. Welcome aboard!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post
Totally normal. Bare metal rusts.
X2. Those areas will probably be rusty on new trucks sitting on the dealer's lot, if they are stored outside.

Quote:
Looks crazy w/o the front half shafts!
So that's what our brake calipers look like on the back side?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Real world

I bought a "Pro" undercoating gun kit here. If you decide to buy in bulk and spray it, make sure whatever you use for application will work. It's thixotropic, so to do it right, you can't just use a common pump sprayer.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
ElTacoCaliente will become famous soon enoughElTacoCaliente will become famous soon enough
ElTacoCaliente's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Real world

I bought a "Pro" undercoating gun kit here. If you decide to buy in bulk and spray it, make sure whatever you use for application will work. It's thixotropic, so to do it right, you can't just use a common pump sprayer.
Awesome new vocab word! I'd never heard of thixotropic! I've looked at stuff that it applies to but, never seen or heard it, cool!

Anyways, thanks for posting the links, I am considering shooting this into the front frame rails (boxed portion) of my Tacoma.

Have you been happy with it?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoCaliente View Post
Awesome new vocab word! I'd never heard of thixotropic! I've looked at stuff that it applies to but, never seen or heard it, cool!

Anyways, thanks for posting the links, I am considering shooting this into the front frame rails (boxed portion) of my Tacoma.

Have you been happy with it?

Thanks!!!
I haven't used Fluid Film long enough to speak about its anti-corrosion abilities, but the test results published on the FF and Kellsport sites is convincing. Application was easy with the Pro gun. The extension wand easily reached inside the boxed frame sections and other hard to reach areas. If a drain hole was too small for the extension, I placed it over the hole and splattered a mess of FF inside.

It's handy in a spray can, too. I sneaked the applicator straw into a few areas on the body work. It's easy to reach for the can for small jobs, like coating the inner seam on some steel wheels with winter tires. The smell wears off after a week or two, so don't worry about it.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNome View Post
If it bothers you and you drive in a salty environment you can get it undercoated... Ziebart did mine. Our trucks are known for getting rusty... it happens

Nice that's so clean
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #18
Tcomaboy is on a distinguished road
Name: BakFlip customer service SUCKS
Tcomaboy's Tacoma Gallery
OH NO!! Better get those replaced before something worse happens to them.... Like they get dirt on them !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #19
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Spray your undercarriage with wd40 every couple of months .

But if you live in a area like New England where roads are treated any car will look like that after a few weeks .
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, TacoNate! A moderator (Brunes) and I work together near you - on the Naval air station in Belle Chasse.

As others have said, all should be fine w/ your truck. As far as Fluid Film goes, we use it on our Coast Guard helos since they routinely operate in salt air environments and are often covered in salt spray. It's a thick product and would seem to attract all sorts of dirt and grime. For those who use it on your trucks, any problems with dirt/sand/dust stuck to your FF-coated frames?

Products Discussed in this Thread