Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange Noise when engine shuts off

Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I like when mice carry food into those pumps on GX470s and it requires intake removal to access them. It does seem like the shut down is a bit delayed.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terras View Post
According to Toyota Customer Service in Torrance CA, there have been fifteen hundred complains received regarding the new version of smog pump. (Must be all those stupid people that are never pleased.)
To put things in perspective, the Tacoma is on track to outsell the GMC Sierra this year (140,000+ units). I wonder what the other 138,500 Taco owners feel about the air pump noise.

If this were a Lexus, you would probably be justified in your efforts. The Tacoma is full of squeaks, rattles and other weird sounds. Did you silence the ABS solenoid self-check at startup when you exceed 5 mph? Do your leaf springs squeak yet? What about the valve buckets ticking? No? Give it some time.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Terras, believe me, you'll know when you step on some nerves around here. I think the response you received had more to do with puzzlement and disbelief than anything else. We have to get Terras and this guy to take a road trip together. With streaming video to TW, of course.

Quote:
[...] Did I say I was embarrassed? Since I am not making that gasping sound, and I would certainly beg forgiveness of those around me if I did, the embarrassment is with the product. Since I have had a lot of new trucks in my life, I am not embarrassed, overly proud, nor full of self-righteousness. What I am is disappointed. [...]
Actually, you said, "It is embarrassing, and I do not know how Engineering was allowed to go forward into production with this making such a racket."

So you aren't embarrassed, but your embarrassment is with the truck? Wait, you're disappointed. Is that embarrassed and disappointed, or disappointed, with just a dash of embarrassment?

NVH problems are worth addressing, but on the Great List of Tacoma Complaints, I doubt this rates very high. Frankly, I don't understand how someone could overlook something they find so embarrassing (or disappointing) prior to purchase. Whatever the future holds, don't ever buy a diesel powered vehicle. The embarrassment and disappointment would be too much to bear.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #24
Terras is on a distinguished road
Terras's Tacoma Gallery
Clearing the air, and moving on.

Let me understand. I submit a paragraph in an effort to share knowledge about the Tacoma; and then get slammed. Got it. So I did hit a nerve after all. I thought so due to previous responses. Although some were cute like asking how to make your truck have that same ‘cool’ sound. It does not matter how many units are sold, or which product line the Tacoma might outsell. That is comparing apples and oranges where the smog injection pump is concerned. It appears your trucks are making a whole host of other sounds that you find more irritating. Out of the three other Tacoma’s I have owned (2-2WD and 1-4WD) I was fortunate not to experience many of the issues described as NVH. Hence my return to purchase yet another Tacoma. Trust me, the noise was not overlooked and is being addressed. Oh, and while living in Austria for 5 years I owned two diesels. I don’t remember either of them making the racket this smog pump makes, but they were German built cars. To aid in your quest for exactly how I feel: me embarrassed…No; is it embarrassing for the Toyota name and company…Yes; initially disappointed…Yes; will it ultimately get resolved…Yes. Not sure if a return here to offer whatever solution may be able to quiet that noise is worth the aggravation. But I probably will. One thing is for sure, this, like most open forums, is not dull.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #25
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Let me understand. I submit a paragraph in an effort to share knowledge about the Tacoma; and then get slammed. Got it. So I did hit a nerve after all. I thought so due to previous responses. Although some were cute like asking how to make your truck have that same ‘cool’ sound. It does not matter how many units are sold, or which product line the Tacoma might outsell. That is comparing apples and oranges where the smog injection pump is concerned. It appears your trucks are making a whole host of other sounds that you find more irritating. Out of the three other Tacoma’s I have owned (2-2WD and 1-4WD) I was fortunate not to experience many of the issues described as NVH. Hence my return to purchase yet another Tacoma. Trust me, the noise was not overlooked and is being addressed. Oh, and while living in Austria for 5 years I owned two diesels. I don’t remember either of them making the racket this smog pump makes, but they were German built cars. To aid in your quest for exactly how I feel: me embarrassed…No; is it embarrassing for the Toyota name and company…Yes; initially disappointed…Yes; will it ultimately get resolved…Yes. Not sure if a return here to offer whatever solution may be able to quiet that noise is worth the aggravation. But I probably will. One thing is for sure, this, like most open forums, is not dull.
Slammed? Aggravation? I'm not sure TacomaWorld suits your temperament. Perhaps this forum would be more to your liking.

I doubt anyone is on a quest to learn how you feel; I'm not. I was merely pointing out some of your contradictory statements. I also think it's funny to see someone get so twisted up that they apparently forget how to execute a hard return.

If this cacophonous embarrassment of noise was noticed prior to purchase, why didn't you have it addressed prior to purchase?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #26
KB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 is a couple weeks old now. I was about to take it to the dealer because I was positive there was something wrong with it because of this noise.

This is my fourth Taco ('98, '05, '09, and '13, and I had an '07 FJ with the same drivetrain). None of them ever made a sound as atrocious as this.

Every time I pull into work, I pray that none of the guys I work with are around when I pull in, because I know they'll bust my balls until the end of time about the racket this thing makes when it shuts off.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
Backdoor Commentator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPqPDdiiJIw

I'm embarrassed and disappointed for you.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Well I was gonna ask about the noise....now I know its normal...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #29
bigshug1 is on a distinguished road
bigshug1's Tacoma Gallery
^What he said...I just assumed that the noise was okay. Glad it's nothing out of the ordinary!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #31
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I kinda like the noise, I think it sounds cool!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #32
johnca6 is on a distinguished road
johnca6's Tacoma Gallery
Noise when shutting off engine on 2013

I've driven 3 differentnNissan Titan trucks for the last 11 years and recently bought my first Toyota Tacoma. There are a lot of things I like about it, but the noise when shutting off the engine is a big turnoff. It seriously sounds like something is wrong with it.

Very disappointing function. I hope Toyota can make modifications at some point.

Anyone know of a fix?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
jaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of light

jaymac10's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad I found this info. I just purchased a 2013 sport and was wondering what the sound was.

But that's just it, wondering. I couldn't give a flying f*#k that it makes a sound when shutting off...

I don't have to deal with smog where I live (thank you Canada!) but I'm sure it's a step in the right direction for some areas...

Do all manufact's have the same thing?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #34
pjstran is on a distinguished road
pjstran's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I know what the sound is now. Glad also that it doesn't bother me.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #35
foreman is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
foreman's Tacoma Gallery
Smog pump

I have driven cars with smog pumps all my life and yet to have one make noise like my new Tacoma. I wander if the Camerys or other Toyota vehicles do this? Keep complaining to Toyota maybe someone will listen !!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #36
cjcold is on a distinguished road
cjcold's Tacoma Gallery
I just tell folks that it's the supercharger de-pressurizing as a safety feature.