Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange Noise when engine shuts off

Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Roger in AZ is on a distinguished road
Roger in AZ's Tacoma Gallery
Strange Noise when engine shuts off

I have a new 2013 Tacoma with the 4.0 V6 and it makes a strange noise when the engine shuts off. The noise sounds like some solenoid engaging or disengaging. Is this sound normal for this vehicle and what is causing the noise? To hear the noise please check out the youtube link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvAXQLxRfwU

Thanks

Roger
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

If you're referring to the high pitched whine, my Offroad does the same thing. I believe it's the brake booster charging before shutdown, but I may be wrong.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the air pump shutting down.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Sounds like the air pump shutting down.
Thanks! I stand corrected.

OP, another frequently puzzling sound comes from the a pump pressurizing the fuel system, hours after it's been parked. It's near the tank, and the sound comes from near the LR wheel well. It's normal. That one, I'm pretty sure about.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
dtoy4me is on a distinguished road
Name: Terry
dtoy4me's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it also. So can I still change my exhaust from cat back without any issues?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Terras is on a distinguished road
Terras's Tacoma Gallery
Noise on shut-down

Here is what I have heard, read on the internet, and was told by Toyota. When I first took a Silver DC for a test drive, upon the return to the dealer, the air purging sound was rather loud. At that time I did not know what it was. I took a different model, Magnetic Gray, out and liked that package better and bought it. It too does the 'gasping' sound on shutdown. After a trip to the Dealer, the Shop Mgr and I heard it on mine and he wanted to keep my vehicle. I told him he had a whole lot full of 2013's, and just fire one up, let it warm up, and shut it off. They didn't have to keep mine, he had plenty to try it out on. He called several days later. It is the new Smog Pump purging the pressure in the system. This is a new pump and only is installed on Tacomas. I wrote Toyota that it is rather a bad selling point when in the Safeway/Walmart lot, and everyone around stares at you as your shut off the truck. The Mgr stated that if enough folks write Toyota, they 'might' try to develop a fix. Such as a different valve that would allowed slower exhaust speed, or a muffler of sorts. Until then, we will hear this always. It is embarrassing, and I do not know how Engineering was allowed to go forward into production with this making such a racket. I am trying to think of a sound reducer 'muffler', that might vent further under the truck. Just stuck with it for now. Darn.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Tell everyone it's just your turbo..it's cool then.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
I heard it for the first time in all it's glory just a week ago. I had moved the truck two feet so it was only running 20 seconds, and after I shut it off and got out I heard the fairly loud and really cool sound. I would have been worried if I hadn't read about it here before. I think it sounds cool as hell, like something you would hear when walking down the hallways of the Death Star.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoy4me View Post
Mine does it also. So can I still change my exhaust from cat back without any issues?
Correct.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terras View Post
Until then, we will hear this always. It is embarrassing, and I do not know how Engineering was allowed to go forward into production with this making such a racket. I am trying to think of a sound reducer 'muffler', that might vent further under the truck. Just stuck with it for now. Darn.
You have a lot to learn about Toyota pickups. Historically they have been durable, but never refined from a noise/vibration standpoint.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terras View Post
Here is what I have heard, read on the internet, and was told by Toyota. When I first took a Silver DC for a test drive, upon the return to the dealer, the air purging sound was rather loud. At that time I did not know what it was. I took a different model, Magnetic Gray, out and liked that package better and bought it. It too does the 'gasping' sound on shutdown. After a trip to the Dealer, the Shop Mgr and I heard it on mine and he wanted to keep my vehicle. I told him he had a whole lot full of 2013's, and just fire one up, let it warm up, and shut it off. They didn't have to keep mine, he had plenty to try it out on. He called several days later. It is the new Smog Pump purging the pressure in the system. This is a new pump and only is installed on Tacomas. I wrote Toyota that it is rather a bad selling point when in the Safeway/Walmart lot, and everyone around stares at you as your shut off the truck. The Mgr stated that if enough folks write Toyota, they 'might' try to develop a fix. Such as a different valve that would allowed slower exhaust speed, or a muffler of sorts. Until then, we will hear this always. It is embarrassing, and I do not know how Engineering was allowed to go forward into production with this making such a racket. I am trying to think of a sound reducer 'muffler', that might vent further under the truck. Just stuck with it for now. Darn.
Theres no need for a fix cause its normal, some managers are trained or know how to bullshit there way out of anything to get to get anal customers out the door for the stupidest shit. Sorry but I dont see anyone complaing about this expect for those people who are never pleased. BTW if this embarrasses you, you have a slight problem theres no need to be embarassed about driving a new truck
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You have a lot to learn about Toyota pickups. Historically they have been durable, but never refined from a noise/vibration standpoint.
I drove a 2004 Grand Cherokee for almost 4 years and it was great for me. The motto for them on the Jeep forums was, "Tacky, yet unrefined". I liked that Jeep a lot, and my Tacoma even more.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
I drove a 2004 Grand Cherokee for almost 4 years and it was great for me. The motto for them on the Jeep forums was, "Tacky, yet unrefined". I liked that Jeep a lot, and my Tacoma even more.
They stole that "tacky, yet unrefined thing from hooters," HA
Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
I heard it for the first time in all it's glory just a week ago. I had moved the truck two feet so it was only running 20 seconds, and after I shut it off and got out I heard the fairly loud and really cool sound. I would have been worried if I hadn't read about it here before. I think it sounds cool as hell, like something you would hear when walking down the hallways of the Death Star.
that's it then. I am demanding the dealership speed up my 2013 taco special order immediately !!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #16

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
that's it then. I am demanding the dealership speed up my 2013 taco special order immediately !!!!
It's right up there on my top 10 favorite things about the truck!

Nice screen name BTW! You are yourself!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
2012+ Taco farts... after a while, you don't even notice it.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Can someone do a write-up or a how-to on this noise? I love it and wish to add this pump on my '05.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom30 View Post
Can someone do a write-up or a how-to on this noise? I love it and wish to add this pump on my '05.

Haha. You're joking?...... right?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Terras is on a distinguished road
Terras's Tacoma Gallery
Smog Pump

Earlier I must have stepped on a few nerves, hence the statements above. Do I have a lot to learn about Toyota pickups and products, probably not as much as the above responder thinks. I will state that the pump is operating as it was designed. I accept that the sound fits your definition of normal. I also acknowledge that there are bullshit managers, anal customers, and an abundance of stupid shit everywhere. Did I say I was embarrassed? Since I am not making that gasping sound, and I would certainly beg forgiveness of those around me if I did, the embarrassment is with the product. Since I have had a lot of new trucks in my life, I am not embarrassed, overly proud, nor full of self-righteousness. What I am is disappointed. Most newly designed equipment will eventually get the ‘bugs’ worked out due to feedback provided by the end user. (Gads now I will hear from all the Entomologists….ha) According to Toyota Customer Service in Torrance CA, there have been fifteen hundred complains received regarding the new version of smog pump. (Must be all those stupid people that are never pleased.) Do I have some things to learn, sure. And I do have a few slight problems. But I think I responded to them here. I understand the functions on this vehicle very well, and will resolve/reduce the noise of my truck and continue to work with Torrance.