LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Care - apparently the techs do NOT

Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Care - apparently the techs do NOT

While I know that many techs are diligent and detail oriented people - and some are tools. I seem to have pulled the latter.

I KNOW it's the day after Christmas and I probably should not have chosen today for my scheduled 10K ToyotaCare service but nonetheless I brought my Taco in.

Oil change - switch to synthetic and rotate tires - 20 mins of work max. 90 minutes+ later I go get my truck and am told that it's wearing 'fine'. No shit.

Drive home - it's just starting to snow. I park and run inside for a few minutes then the Mrs advises me that 'WE' (read ME) need to run out for a quick trip to the post office.

Pull out and I see a significant amount of oil on my driveway - am like - WTF is this nonsense - even JiffyLube techs tighten the oil pan nut & filter snugly....

Decide to investigate - open the hood and this is what I see :

Apparently the tech was using an old oil container to capture any oil that dripped out of the filter mount but for God's sake can you REMOVE the damn plastic container BEFORE you give me my truck back?!?

I know - I should do my own changes but I figured that I needed the tires rotated and I cannot do they myself easily AND it was 'free' I would take it to Toyota. Needless to say I know what dealer I will NOT be visiting again - warranty or not.

To top it all off - it looks like the plastic container was knicked by the fan - which is what (I hope) is the oil on the driveway and in the engine compartment.....

Lesson learned.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I recall a very similar thread recently lol. Oh whatsup ron? I still have your grill lol
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I have made the same mistake on my truck. That's why I ran a fuel line down to my drain hole in my skid plate. Now I don't have anything to do except let it drain.

No biggie. People make mistakes. Thats why I do my own maintenance that way if something is wrong it's all my fault.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
oh holy shit!!! the guy left a bottle in your engine bay by mistake, he's human dammit, we all make mistakes whether or not we are professionals. the guy cared enough to try and catch all the oil that spills from the retarded filter setup on our trucks. give him a break.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I recall a very similar thread recently lol. Oh whatsup ron? I still have your grill lol
Happy holidays - you ever get that thing done yet? Might need to buy it back from you ;-)
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
If I recall there was another member that had the same thing happen also. Don't feel bad though, I usually do my own but have been using the "free" oil changes also. Got one more to go within the next month.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomVirus View Post
Happy holidays - you ever get that thing done yet? Might need to buy it back from you ;-)
Haha well...fiberglass and bondo is done. Just need to trim it up, get some mesh and paint. Other projects came up
Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel114 View Post
oh holy shit!!! the guy left a bottle in your engine bay by mistake, he's human dammit, we all make mistakes whether or not we are professionals. the guy cared enough to try and catch all the oil that spills from the retarded filter setup on our trucks. give him a break.

I know, and I get it but it was dangerous for me to have that thing loose in my engine. I didn't call the dealer all pissed off I just will need to find a new one or reinspect the work when done.

People make mistakes but this was avoidable with 30 seconds of visual inspection.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
If I recall there was another member that had the same thing happen also. Don't feel bad though, I usually do my own but have been using the "free" oil changes also. Got one more to go within the next month.
Ya that happened recently too, i would like to find it maybe it is the same dealership lol.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomVirus View Post
I know, and I get it but it was dangerous for me to have that thing loose in my engine. I didn't call the dealer all pissed off I just will need to find a new one or reinspect the work when done.

People make mistakes but this was avoidable with 30 seconds of visual inspection.

what dealer?

I'm also in NJ
Old 12-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
They left this "gift" for me a couple oil changes ago...

why would they need a torx socket set for an oil change? I would be worried about what they were actually doing under your hood.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
That's not THAT bad. Bit they should pay to clean your driveway and truck. That's fair.

Te Toyota technicians I've talked with, really care about the work they do. Not all Toyota techs are bad.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it happens.

Give the guy a break though. He's most likely just starting out in the biz. They don't put full-blown ASE techs on the LOF/Tire rotation jobs.

I just had my 3rd freebie service on my rig... one thing I do is open the hood once I'm home to see if the oil filter I've previously marked is gone.... I've heard than happening before about lazy shopkids not wanting OR forgetting to change.

The next time you're in there, let them know about it, but don't get turned off by it.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot the alum soda can I stuck in there to catch oil one time. Scared the shit out of me when i started it with the metal on metal sound. Can was rubbing on the belt pulley
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
I've been debating whether or not to bring my truck in for the free oil changes and tire rotations to save a little cash. I think I'll probably just do it myself.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
really dude? go suck a dick

Tech should have done his job! Period
Old 12-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
That's not THAT bad. Bit they should pay to clean your driveway and truck. That's fair.

Te Toyota technicians I've talked with, really care about the work they do. Not all Toyota techs are bad.
Trouble is at alot of the dealerships it's not the tech's doing the oil changes.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
having a plastic bottle shred and oil possibly all over the engine and
exhaust headers is a huge fire hazard. Also, there is nothing retarded about
the design and location of the filter. There is a procedure to change oil
without spilling anything and leaving containers in the engine bay... which was
not followed. this was a case of 'lazy service tech'
Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
TheSloth has a spectacular aura aboutTheSloth has a spectacular aura about
Name: David
TheSloth's Tacoma Gallery
It happened to me too. Not at a dealership but at the place I always have my truck serviced. They used a clear container to catch the oil, not a oil jug but they left it in there and it was hitting against the belt. The only reason I knew it was there was from the smell of burning plastic and a knocking sound from the container bouncing around. I took it out and was a bit upset but still go there.