1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Racing in Neutral

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GCo, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Jan 30, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    GCo

GCo [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati
    Can someone point me to an existing thread or forum for the unintended acceleration problem? I have had two incidents where my 4-cyl manual suddenly raced to redline. I bought the truck second-hand last summer. It had only 24,000 miles and I thought I was getting a really good deal. Now I am not so sure. The first time it happened, I pushed in the clutch and coasted while I checked the mat but there was no interference. After pumping the accelerator pedal a couple of times, the pedal released and the RPM's dropped back to idle.

The second instance was just yesterday. I was cruising on the highway when I felt the pedal drop from under my foot while the engine raced to redline. I immediately pushed in the clutch and started pumping the pedal hoping it would release. It ran at redline for about five seconds which made me start to worry about engine damage. I let out the clutch in third gear and the RPM's came down but the truck began to accelerate. When I got back up to 60MPH, I pushed in the clutch and the engine immedately raced back into the red. After a few more seconds of pumping, the pedal released and the engine returned to idle.

The air conditioned was not running (it's winter here.) I was not using cruise control. I could have taken a picture of the mat using my phone if anyone doubts me. There was no interference. This is twice in a six month period. I wonder if the miles were low becaus the previous owner was afraid of his truck. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I would hate to have them simply smile the knowing smile and tell me it is not possible for it to have happened.

2. Jan 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World! Give some more info on the vehicle....2.7, year?

3. Jan 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Welcome to TW :wave:

Your rev limiter is doing it's job, so I wouldn't bee too concerned about being at redline for a few seconds.

4. Jan 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    I have no idea. Is there a fuse you can pull for the cruise control to help illiminate that possibility ?

5. Jan 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Welcome to TW.

There have been many reports of this issue yet Toyota, to my knowledge, has currently not identified it as a TSB. The gas is controled by a Throttle By Wire system meaning it is all electronic. There is a possibility of the TPS malfuctioning sending the wrong signal to the ECU. Or the Butterfly servor (?) is malfunctioning keeping it open causing the TPS to send the signal to the ECU for more gas.

I have not heard of a fix for this condition as of yet.

Have you thrown a CEL (Check Engine Light)?

6. Jan 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    I don't think so ...

There's no dedicated 'Cruise' fuse at all. The various components that participate in the cruise control system are powered off a variety of fuses (e.g., ignition, gauge, etc.).

7. Jan 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I remember reading some where on Toyota's news site something about this. I would take it into Toyota seeing how this seems like a safety issue. When you take it in, stress the word safety with them. I will see if I can come up with the article. Good luck.

8. Jan 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Another angle ... I'm not sure from the original poster's description whether the engine:

(a) 'slams' to max possible rpm's in one sudden surge
    OR
    (b) 'ramps up' progressively?

If it 'ramps up' (no matter how fast) rather than 'slams' (all at once) ... It seems to me that a malfunctioning cruise control switch (or two) and / or a wiring fault might fool the ECU into 'thinking' cruise was engaged *AND* the +RES switch was being held down - which would cause progressive acceleration.

9. Jan 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  10. Jan 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    For the non-clickers...

11. Jan 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    Fredneck

Fredneck Active Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7L Tacoma
    BONE STOCK for now
    I've got an '09 2.7 acess cab. I have noticed a hanging throttle on the shift from 4th to 5th. You can shift to nuetral from 4th and the rpm's will stay at the level they were at when you shifted out of 4th, then finally fall to the proper idle speed as the vehicle gradually slows down through 50 MPH while coasting. This is just plain wierd to me :der:

12. Jan 31, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    GCo

GCo [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati
    Thanks for all the suggestions here. I am taking it into the dealer this morning. I am worried they will not know what to do. One poster suggested that maybe the throttle is sticking when shifting. That's possible. Both times this happened, I was changing gears. However, I had the sensation of the pedal dropping away from my foot. That might have been due to me lifting the foot versus the pedal dropping away. The reason I question this is that both times this happened the pedal was all the way to the floor and I was not "flooring it" when the incident occurred. In the second incident, I tried using the toe of my shoe to lift the pedal up from thre floor but had no success. The one thing I didn't try was turing the engine off and restarting. I keep that in mind for the next time it happens.

13. Jan 31, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    GCo

GCo [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati

It is definitely the "slam' variety. It is suddenly running at redline and will not stop.

14. Jan 31, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    GCo

GCo [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati

I have not seen any check enging light either before or after.

15. Jan 31, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    GCo

GCo [OP] Member

Member:
    Cincinnati

I sawa there had been an investigation. It was closed because they were unable to reproduce the condition and no one could identify a cause for the problem. There have also been many reports of a similar issue from Prius owners which also uses the drive-by-wire design. The fact that they do not know what causes the problem (and therefor default to 'driver error') is not reassuring.

For now, I seemm to have a truck where this problem happend with some regularity. If anyone has any ideas on things to check or test to make while it is happening, I welcome suggestions.

Products Discussed in

To Top