1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In the middle of front wheel bearing replacement, help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toyota Tacoma, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dec 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    So I got my wheel bearing out and everything disassembled no problem but both seals from the cv to the spindle appear so be shot (found peices of rubber and the metal bands practically fell out of it)

Is this common? can I just go get a new seal and put it in? Iv heard things about putting new seals in while changing bearings but didn't quite understand which one exactly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help appreciated, thanks

2. Dec 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    For each side there are two seals and one oring that needs replacing. Clean things up and put new seals. Remember to put grease on seals.

3. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    That CV seal presses in from the rear of the spindle/steering knuckle. You will have to remove it to install the seal. I just replaced my bearings and had two of these seals on hand in case I needed to replace them. Turned out the original seals were good. Physically, this inner seal is a little smaller than the one that goes on the bearing assembly, but it costs more; go figure. I bought National, #710573 ($16.62 from Amazon.) This is for a 4X4 model; non-4X4's may use a different seal.

4. Dec 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Great, thanks guys! does anyone know the part numbers or what to ask for at Toyota ?

5. Dec 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    90316-A0001 - inner seals (the busted ones in your pics)
    90312-96001 - outside seals (covers outer bearing in bearing assembly)
    90301-A0005 - O-ring (mounts over inner bearing in bearing assembly)

6. Dec 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Thanks! turns out only 1 seal was bad, our local Napa didn't carry the seal so I had to get it from Toyota.... 38 dollars later.. and 8 dollars for each o-ring..

7. Dec 28, 2012 at 2:22 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Tag for future reference

8. Oct 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    livnlrn

livnlrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name: