1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whine from rear when clutch pushed in

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hour, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Hi guys. Just trying to get some opinions before I throw on my lift - want to take it in if it isn't normal and have Toyota look at it before I modify anything and have them blame it on the suspension. Much searching was done via forum search and google with site:tacomaworld.com at the end :)

Truck has done this since new, 2012 reg cab 5spd 4x4 - 7500mi now. When I stay on the clutch for a few seconds (think in traffic not sure if you'll be moving half a cars length or 5 car lengths once the car in front of you moves up a little bit and then puts brake lights on), I hear a transmission sounding whine from the rear of the truck. It corresponds with rpm, so if I am at 2500 rpm and push in clutch, it's louder and more whiney/whurring sounding than if I were to do it at 1500 rpm. It goes away when I put shifter in neutral and take foot off clutch.

I have no squeaking/clicking/popping noise from the clutch. It's like the inverse of all the TSB related complaints I've read about where people push the clutch to experience peace and quiet. I've never experienced this in the manual cars I've owned, though this is my first manual truck. Even my heavily modified legacy GT was silent the second I pushed in the clutch. Makes me think the clutch isn't disengaging fully when I push clutch to the floor?

Thanks for suggestions. I want to document everything now if needed, especially a wear related item that they'd try to say is my fault. I e-mailed the service department where I bought the truck after <1000 miles and mentioned this too so hopefully that could count for something if it's faulty.

2. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    While your noise description is not identical to the ones in the TSB, you most likely are still experiencing the TOB or Throw Out Bearing failure. This bearing is under load when you press in the clutch, and if the bearings are failing, that is when you will hear most of the noise, and when it will be the loudest.

3. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    Jon4x4

Jon4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deltona, Fl
    Vehicle:
    1996 T4R
    3” kit 305’s
    I don't think you would be able to hear the TOBearing if the clutch is pushed in. Now if it wasn't pushed in and heard it i would tend to agree with you.
    But if driving down the road and push the clutch in and start to decel, that could be a pinion bearing.

4. Dec 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Thanks guys. I remember this happening from the get go so I have no clue how it could be possible, but I'll be stopping by dealer after I get camper shell installed here in 15 minutes. If they say anything about "normal wear, SOL" then I'll pull up the e-mail I sent to other dealerships service department months ago. If they identify a problem and try to screw me, heads will roll. Have babied this thing.

5. Dec 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    When the pedal is not pushed in, the TOB is simply along for the ride. There is no load. When you press the pedal in, the clutch fork presses the TOB against the fingers of the pressure plate, releasing the pressure on the clutch disc, allowing it to spin freely.

The common Tacoma noise that is heard and commented on via the TSB is where the inner sleeve of the TOB is allowed to rub up and down on the outer sleeve of the input shaft housing and wearing. Eventually it begins to allow movement that is not desired, and thus a common chirp or squeak is heard. A TOB can cause noise when applied or released depending on the failure.

6. Jan 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Just a quick update - set up appointment with Toyota (earliest they could do is the 9th) to have a technician ride along and see what he thinks. I'll also see if I can't get him to drive it with me in the car and see how much he loves the brutal first to second shift, or if he can push clutch to floor and coast without hearing 'the noise' :eek:

I'm lifting the truck on Saturday so I really hoped to get in before then, but I told her this has been reported since just shortly after purchase and that my lifting on Saturday should not be cause for them to shrug it off. She seemed cool. I'll report back with my results.

Products Discussed in

To Top