Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

please help ecm

Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Jim. You can contact the Warranty Department at Toyota's North America HQs in Torrance, California for the process for having it troubleshoot and repaired/replaced in Canada. I believe they look for unusual warranty problems and three successive ECMs failures should qualify. In parallel, you might consider posting the ECM failure code on TW's Technical Chat forum and see if anyone else has experienced the same problem and how it was remediated. It has been my experience that some dealers try to avoid complex warranty issues because that will not be able to recoup their expenses or hassle. The salaried manufacturer's reps love a new challenge.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
kyoung.709 is on a distinguished road
kyoung.709's Tacoma Gallery
just looked at the truck and main wire to starter broke off ,would this cause the ecm code p0606 to come on????
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #23
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
It is possible. I've "seen" where long tube installs, O2 simulator installs, and even a heavy rain have caused this code. So I might think that maybe a voltage spike or flucuation tripped out the ECM for a second. I'd fix the starter cable, reset the ECM (leave the battery disconnected which should be done when working on the starter), then go from there.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #24
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
This seems to be an ongoing problem, one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Its not the ecm!

If this is the third ecm, two of them covered under warranty then I'd be asking Toyota to replace this one under warranty also or give me a reason why its your fault that they are failing! Something is wrong with the vehicle to cause this to happen. US has a lemon law and I think this would definitely fit the criteria, a major problem that they can't fix after multiple attempts. If the dealer won't help call directly to Toyota Canada.

Jim
I agree with contacting Toyota. They may not do anything at all, but the only way that they WILL do something is if you ask. As for Lemon Law, it only applies to original owners. It does not apply to a second or consecutive owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung.709 View Post
just looked at the truck and main wire to starter broke off ,would this cause the ecm code p0606 to come on????
Code P0606 is for several possible internal OR external faults. According to Toyota a code P0606 will store if any of the following occur:
  1. output from the two internal CPUs are different or deviate from the standards.
  2. the signals sent to the throttle actuator deviate from standard
  3. a malfunction is found in the throttle actuator supply voltage
  4. any other internal failure is found
With multiple ECM failures I would be concerned with several possible things.
  1. Low voltage to ANY of the ECM power supply circuits.
  2. short to ground or to other wire on throttle actuator control circuits between ECM and TAC.
  3. bad ground on any of the ECM ground wires
  4. excessive overvoltage in charging system due to bad alternator, bad alternator ground, or bad voltage connector to alternator from battery.
  5. bad ground for battery.
Any of these things can cause repeat failure of an ECM. I know it is a lot to look at, but I tried to indicate as many options as I can think of. Multiple ECM failures are not common at all.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #25
kyoung.709 is on a distinguished road
kyoung.709's Tacoma Gallery
just the one code p0606,i hope its on because the big wire connected to the starter is corroded off !!!!! hopefully its the result of this!!!! thanks guys for your input.....
Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, if you have had 2 replaced under warranty, I would go back to them and say this is an ongoing condition that they did not fix properly and pursue it so that they fix it.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #27
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung.709 View Post

I would say this qualifies as a likely suspect to investigate ....

The code could be getting thrown during the starting process due to the poor connection and feedback to the ecm while starting. If the truck still seems to run fine after starting it is not likely the ecm bad I wouldn't think.

That wire working loose could have been happening over time and the previous dealer techs just never noticed it. I am just guessing here.