1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

please help ecm

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyoung.709, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    I agree with Jim. You can contact the Warranty Department at Toyota's North America HQs in Torrance, California for the process for having it troubleshoot and repaired/replaced in Canada. I believe they look for unusual warranty problems and three successive ECMs failures should qualify. In parallel, you might consider posting the ECM failure code on TW's Technical Chat forum and see if anyone else has experienced the same problem and how it was remediated. It has been my experience that some dealers try to avoid complex warranty issues because that will not be able to recoup their expenses or hassle. The salaried manufacturer's reps love a new challenge.

2. Jan 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM
    kyoung.709

kyoung.709 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    just looked at the truck and main wire to starter broke off ,would this cause the ecm code p0606 to come on????

3. Jan 3, 2013 at 5:12 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It is possible. I've "seen" where long tube installs, O2 simulator installs, and even a heavy rain have caused this code. So I might think that maybe a voltage spike or flucuation tripped out the ECM for a second. I'd fix the starter cable, reset the ECM (leave the battery disconnected which should be done when working on the starter), then go from there.

4. Jan 3, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I agree with contacting Toyota. They may not do anything at all, but the only way that they WILL do something is if you ask. As for Lemon Law, it only applies to original owners. It does not apply to a second or consecutive owner.

Code P0606 is for several possible internal OR external faults. According to Toyota a code P0606 will store if any of the following occur:

1. output from the two internal CPUs are different or deviate from the standards.
    2. the signals sent to the throttle actuator deviate from standard
    3. a malfunction is found in the throttle actuator supply voltage
    4. any other internal failure is found
    With multiple ECM failures I would be concerned with several possible things.

1. Low voltage to ANY of the ECM power supply circuits.
    2. short to ground or to other wire on throttle actuator control circuits between ECM and TAC.
    3. bad ground on any of the ECM ground wires
    4. excessive overvoltage in charging system due to bad alternator, bad alternator ground, or bad voltage connector to alternator from battery.
    5. bad ground for battery.
    Any of these things can cause repeat failure of an ECM. I know it is a lot to look at, but I tried to indicate as many options as I can think of. Multiple ECM failures are not common at all.

5. Jan 3, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    kyoung.709

kyoung.709 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    just the one code p0606,i hope its on because the big wire connected to the starter is corroded off !!!!! hopefully its the result of this!!!! thanks guys for your input.....

6. Jan 3, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    Yeah, if you have had 2 replaced under warranty, I would go back to them and say this is an ongoing condition that they did not fix properly and pursue it so that they fix it.

7. Jan 3, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA

I would say this qualifies as a likely suspect to investigate ....

The code could be getting thrown during the starting process due to the poor connection and feedback to the ecm while starting. If the truck still seems to run fine after starting it is not likely the ecm bad I wouldn't think.

That wire working loose could have been happening over time and the previous dealer techs just never noticed it. I am just guessing here.

:D:D

Products Discussed in

To Top