Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Confused about Traction Control Systems

Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #21
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
David, I didn't realize how badly you wanted that information! I don't have a place I can check the +30 mph aspect of the test routine, but I can check for the "AUTO LSD light on while in 4WD (HIGH)" condition this evening.
Well, I would like to confirm the rumors that there now is a choice of TRAC and AUTO LSD in H4... In my truck, they are the same function in H4, and they call it TRAC... but in 2WD, TRAC is not the same as AUTO LSD.

You can drive straight over 30 mph in 4WD... it is turning on hard surfaces that cause binding... just pop it back to H2 before turning.

Thank you!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
Southbound
Westside has a spectacular aura aboutWestside has a spectacular aura about
Name: JT
Westside's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Is there now two levels of traction control in H4, as there is in H2?:

If you press the VSC Off button once (don't hold down): Does anything new light up (as this does in H2 for 'AUTO LSD').
2012 TRD Sport... NEGATIVE. No dash indications for AUTO LSD/TRAC IN H4... Only H2 Not sure if thats different from a TRD OR
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you JT... a SPORT and OFF ROAD is the same in H4, only in L4 does the OFF ROAD have more traction features. The Off Road does have a different brake booster (hydraulic vs. the vacuum of other Tacomas) and that may add to limited slip power in H4?

Looking for more 2012/ 2013 replies...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, I would like to confirm the rumors that there now is a choice of TRAC and AUTO LSD in H4... In my truck, they are the same function in H4, and they call it TRAC... but in 2WD, TRAC is not the same as AUTO LSD.
If there's a difference between the way the OR model years do their ABS magic, it's probably possible to add the mode to the older models. Looks like the OR trucks are all capable of the same modes, just (maybe) not in the same combinations.

Quote:
You can drive straight over 30 mph in 4WD... it is turning on hard surfaces that cause binding... just pop it back to H2 before turning.
I know, I know. I cycle the transfer case and real locker on a parking lot every week or two, but I don't drive very far or fast in the lot. There's just something instinctively WRONG about doing it on dry pavement. After I get some work done on the truck this weekend, I can take it down a gravel road without worries, though.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
I just tried this in my 2012 Off Road. When in 4-HI and I momentarily press the VSC OFF button. the TRAC OFF light comes on. When I hit 30 MPH it goes off again.

ETA: Here's a very poor video of some of the modes on my truck. Let me know if you want me to go through other combinations.

http://youtu.be/LFcDOLRPnHM
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yes, thank you!

1) Turn on the truck... then press the VSC OFF button

You should see these come on:

Over 30 mph the VSC OFF light will go out.

Now press the button again to return to 'normal' trac and vsc on modes.

2) Turn dial to H4... move a bit to see that it engages into 4WD.

3) Press the VSC OFF button as you did before (don't hold in).

In the 2009-2011 trucks (and maybe yours?) nothing happens... H4 has TRAC ON normally, but it is the stronger AUTO LSD type of TRAC (no engine regulation). No lights come on in H4 with a quick push of the VSC button.

IF you get an AUTO LSD light on while you are in 4WD (HIGH), then they indeed added an additional mode... and then note if the VSC OFF light is also on in H4... drive over 30 mph and see if it goes out.

================================================== ====

TRAC without regulation in H4 (or AUTO LSD) is a great enhancement over open differentials (no traction control) when off roading... I could take my 2010 places at full air pressure in the tires that I could not in my 2005, for example... Climbing in high range was nearly as easy as what took low range and locked diff. in my 2005.

Thank you for your findings!

FYI... in H2 or H4 if you stop the truck, press and hold down the VSC button for a few seconds, the traction control turns off and VSC is off (unless you drive dangerously and it will come back on). This allows tire spinning... possible getting stuck... but no beep-beep-beep of the VSC warning. When you press the button again, or restart the truck, all functions return to normal.
"In the 2009-2011 trucks (and maybe yours?) nothing happens... H4 has TRAC ON normally, but it is the stronger AUTO LSD type of TRAC (no engine regulation). No lights come on in H4 with a quick push of the VSC button.

IF you get an AUTO LSD light on while you are in 4WD (HIGH), then they indeed added an additional mode... and then note if the VSC OFF light is also on in H4... drive over 30 mph and see if it goes out."

No AUTO LSD in 4H or 4L on my 2012 OR. If I have AUTO LSD on in 2H, as soon as I rotate the selector to 4H, AUTO LSD turns off, whether the transfer case engages immediately or not. I tried pressing the button quickly and also holding it down for several seconds, in Park/Drive/Neutral - no LSD joy in 4WD. I could see not having it in 4L since the Rear Locker is available then, but AUTO LSD/4H seems like it might be useful in 4H. Maybe the VSC programming does well enough that Toyota didn't feel it was necessary in 4WD.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #27

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
I just tried this in my 2012 Off Road. When in 4-HI and I momentarily press the VSC OFF button. the TRAC OFF light comes on. When I hit 30 MPH it goes off again.

ETA: Here's a very poor video of some of the modes on my truck. Let me know if you want me to go through other combinations.

http://youtu.be/LFcDOLRPnHM
Very nice!

You have shown a NEW feature... TRAC OFF LIGHT. So what does that mean or do? Please post a photo of the owner's manual page on TRAC OFF while in H4.

We (2009-2011) don't have a TRAC OFF light... only a AUTO LSD or VSC OFF light.

In H2, AUTO LSD is the TRAC OFF MODE (but means more TRAC as there is no regulation). You have TRAC (light LSD) and AUTO LSD (strong TRAC) and VSC OFF MODE (no TRAC or VSC).

In H4, the normal mode (called TRAC) is the same as AUTO LSD but on both axles... so strong LSD only. Then, you can hold the button in for a few seconds for VSC OFF MODE, as you can in H2... for open differentials and free spinning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I see you pressed the RR Locker... but do not forget the A-TRAC button (down by the elec. outlet/ cig. lighter)! Use A-TRAC any time you need to go to L4. The locker is an emergency setting, and since A-TRAC was added, it really isn't necessary for most severe off roading since the A-TRAC 'locks' the front and rear tires from spinning. I have run both on together... in snow or pulling... the A-TRAC only activates if you drop below 3 mph and you get front tire spin... wonderful!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #28

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No AUTO LSD in 4H or 4L on my 2012 OR. If I have AUTO LSD on in 2H, as soon as I rotate the selector to 4H, AUTO LSD turns off, whether the transfer case engages immediately or not. I tried pressing the button quickly and also holding it down for several seconds, in Park/Drive/Neutral - no LSD joy in 4WD. I could see not having it in 4L since the Rear Locker is available then, but AUTO LSD/4H seems like it might be useful in 4H. Maybe the VSC programming does well enough that Toyota didn't feel it was necessary in 4WD.
But, do you get a TRAC OFF light??? Please experiment with TRAC OFF and then push the button again and see what is different.

I can only guess that instead of calling it AUTO LSD, they call it TRAC OFF in H4??? Is it unregulated traction control (as with AUTO LSD/ TRACX OFF MODE in H2) or simply VSC without TRAC???

When you stop the truck in H4, and press the button.. holding it in, do VSC OFF lights come on after a few seconds (3-5)?

THANK YOU!!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #29
MarkM is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
This thread makes me wish I bought an OR instead of the SR5.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
This thread makes me miss the simplicity of my '93 Toyota Pickup and '80 Chevy LUV.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
The locker would be nice .
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #32
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
The locker would be nice .
You know there's more than the Toyota Way to lock a differential.
Buying the OR is for lazy people, like me.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
You know there's more than the Toyota Way to lock a differential.
Buying the OR is for lazy people, like me.
The or is a nice package though . I would have went with it if I went v6. Atrac and locker would have been fine for most of the wheeling I would do .
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
The or is a nice package though . I would have went with it if I went v6. Atrac and locker would have been fine for most of the wheeling I would do .
Yeah, but then you'd be pissed when you thought about having to scrap the OR springs, shocks, and tires. At least, I am.

I paid more knowing my money was really going for better seats (to me), better brakes, A-TRAC, and the rear locker. The rear springs are a joke, but until I'm ready to buy everything else for the front to make a set of OME Dakars proper (not a fan of the tail high look), I'll make do with Timbren SES and maybe an AAL.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #35
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
for my 2012.. the traction control never 'really' goes off. and actually in 4hi when you push the button and trac off comes up... and you slide sideways it actually ENGAGES the traction control (even when it's "off") and all the lights turn off on the dash board. same when you push and hold the button for 5-8 seconds... it says everything is off but it's actually still on. Terrible ... and i cant believe toyota would do such a thing. when i physically turn the traction control off i want it to be OFF. period.

extremely frustrating when your trying to do donuts in an empty parking lot. anyone know of a way to disable ABS in a 2012 sport auto?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #36
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KJ View Post
for my 2012.. the traction control never 'really' goes off. and actually in 4hi when you push the button and trac off comes up... and you slide sideways it actually ENGAGES the traction control (even when it's "off") and all the lights turn off on the dash board. same when you push and hold the button for 5-8 seconds... it says everything is off but it's actually still on. Terrible ... and i cant believe toyota would do such a thing. when i physically turn the traction control off i want it to be OFF. period.

extremely frustrating when your trying to do donuts in an empty parking lot. anyone know of a way to disable ABS in a 2012 sport auto?
Search out TW member Landphil's ABS bypass mod
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #37

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The problem is the English translation or just the names Toyota picked...
The 2012+ H4 modes are still a mystery... oh I wish someone would produce a tech sheet like we had for the 2009+ models!

TRAC OFF is MORE TRAC, not lees or 0 TRAC like we read it to mean. At least in the 2009-2011 Tacomas in 2WD to press the VSC button quickly puts you into TRAC OFF and AUTO LSD ON.

AUTO LSD is TRAC but without engine regulation (stronger LSD).

When you stop, press, and hold in the button for some 3+ seconds, then you go into VSC OFF MODE... which is BOTH TRAC OFF and VSC OFF (and AUTO LSD OFF) for no traction control or stability control... unless you are driving dangerous then VSC comes back on to 'save' you!

================================================== ==============

2012 Mystery: In H4, if you press the button once, you get this new TRAC OFF light, correct? Well, we don't know if 'TRAC OFF' in H4 means the same as it does in H2 (ie. AUTO LSD ON)?

The question is when you go into H4, (normally TRAC ON) is this the stronger limited slip as it is in 2009-2011 ...

or is it NOW the same as TRAC in H2 (regulated traction control) and is this new setting 'TRAC OFF' the same as AUTO LSD (strong, unregulated traction control)?

Does TRAC OFF in H4 give you more or less traction/ limited slip than the standard mode in H4?

In 2009-2011 we have only 2 modes in H4: Normal setting is called TRAC (but is unregulated), and VSC OFF. A quick press does not do anything in H4, like it does in H2.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #39
MarkM is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I should just read the manual but my 2013 only has the traction control button. And that still doesn't turn the traction control off. When it is in a skid I hear clicking like the traction control is trying to correct it.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #40
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some info from the 2012 Owner's Manual.

Page 200 - Definition of TRAC:

TRAC (Traction Control)
Helps to maintains drive power and prevent the drive wheels from spinning when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads.

Page 203:

To disable VSC, Trailer Sway Control and/or TRAC (4WD mode on 4WD models)
If the vehicle gets stuck in fresh snow or mud, VSC, Trailer Sway Control and TRAC may reduce power from the engine to the wheels.
You may need to turn the system off to enable you to rock the vehicle in order to free it.

■ Turning off TRAC
Quickly push and release the VSC OFF switch to turn off TRAC.
The TRAC OFF indicator will come on.
Push the switch again to turn the system back on.

■ Turning off TRAC, VSC and Trailer Sway Control
Press and hold the VSC OFF switch for more than 3 seconds while the vehicle is stopped to turn off TRAC, VSC and Trailer Sway Control.
The VSC OFF and TRAC OFF indicators will come on.
Push the switch again to turn both systems back on.