1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Confused about Traction Control Systems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gincoma, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Dec 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    2006KJ

2006KJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Front Royal VA
    for my 2012.. the traction control never 'really' goes off. and actually in 4hi when you push the button and trac off comes up... and you slide sideways it actually ENGAGES the traction control (even when it's "off") and all the lights turn off on the dash board. same when you push and hold the button for 5-8 seconds... it says everything is off but it's actually still on. Terrible ... and i cant believe toyota would do such a thing. when i physically turn the traction control off i want it to be OFF. period.

extremely frustrating when your trying to do donuts in an empty parking lot. anyone know of a way to disable ABS in a 2012 sport auto?

2. Dec 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Search out TW member Landphil's ABS bypass mod

3. Dec 29, 2012 at 1:54 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The problem is the English translation or just the names Toyota picked...
    The 2012+ H4 modes are still a mystery... oh I wish someone would produce a tech sheet like we had for the 2009+ models!

TRAC OFF is MORE TRAC, not lees or 0 TRAC like we read it to mean. At least in the 2009-2011 Tacomas in 2WD to press the VSC button quickly puts you into TRAC OFF and AUTO LSD ON.

AUTO LSD is TRAC but without engine regulation (stronger LSD).

When you stop, press, and hold in the button for some 3+ seconds, then you go into VSC OFF MODE... which is BOTH TRAC OFF and VSC OFF (and AUTO LSD OFF) for no traction control or stability control... unless you are driving dangerous then VSC comes back on to 'save' you!

================================================================

2012 Mystery: In H4, if you press the button once, you get this new TRAC OFF light, correct? Well, we don't know if 'TRAC OFF' in H4 means the same as it does in H2 (ie. AUTO LSD ON)?

The question is when you go into H4, (normally TRAC ON) is this the stronger limited slip as it is in 2009-2011 ...

or is it NOW the same as TRAC in H2 (regulated traction control) and is this new setting 'TRAC OFF' the same as AUTO LSD (strong, unregulated traction control)?

Does TRAC OFF in H4 give you more or less traction/ limited slip than the standard mode in H4?

In 2009-2011 we have only 2 modes in H4: Normal setting is called TRAC (but is unregulated), and VSC OFF. A quick press does not do anything in H4, like it does in H2.

4. Dec 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    After all this talk of A-trac, makes me glad I took it out of my system

5. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    MarkM

MarkM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro / BRO
    Maybe I should just read the manual but my 2013 only has the traction control button. And that still doesn't turn the traction control off. When it is in a skid I hear clicking like the traction control is trying to correct it.

6. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    Here's some info from the 2012 Owner's Manual.

Page 200 - Definition of TRAC:

TRAC (Traction Control)
    Helps to maintains drive power and prevent the drive wheels from spinning when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads.

Page 203:

To disable VSC, Trailer Sway Control and/or TRAC (4WD mode on 4WD models)
    If the vehicle gets stuck in fresh snow or mud, VSC, Trailer Sway Control and TRAC may reduce power from the engine to the wheels.
    You may need to turn the system off to enable you to rock the vehicle in order to free it.

■ Turning off TRAC
    Quickly push and release the VSC OFF switch to turn off TRAC.
    The TRAC OFF indicator will come on.
    Push the switch again to turn the system back on.

■ Turning off TRAC, VSC and Trailer Sway Control
    Press and hold the VSC OFF switch for more than 3 seconds while the vehicle is stopped to turn off TRAC, VSC and Trailer Sway Control.
    The VSC OFF and TRAC OFF indicators will come on.
    Push the switch again to turn both systems back on.

7. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    And does it well. Truck drifting hard left, nanny pulses the LF brake snapping the truck back. Then a slight pulse of the RF brake to handle the overcorrection momentum. All happening in split second timing.
    I understand folks disdain for these systems but they work well within their designed parameters. The disable mod is a simple way around it and easy to do

8. Dec 29, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    ^ Absolutely. Most of us aren't taking our eyes off the road, or driving around on our cell phone. Its just that we aren't always in a reactionary "race car driver" mindset. Traction control is great for those moments!

9. Dec 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Well, that is refreshing and also sad... So they invented a way to turn off traction control (TRAC) but leave stability control on (VSC)... yet VSC uses TRAC to stop sideways sliding. I would have preferred they did the opposite: Have a VSC OFF that left the TRAC on, but got rid of the beep-beep-beep which happens a lot when off roading and sliding around. TRAC in H4 is a great improvement in off roading with the wheel spin power transferring power to the good traction tires, but we only get it married to the VSC, which is more for highway speed safety.

In H2, we have this in AUTO LSD to 30 mph (traction control and no VSC)... I was really hoping they would apply this to H4.

You know, in re-reading the manual you posted... it doesn't say that is TRAC OFF just in H2... Please post what your manual says about AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF MODE in H2)... and anything it says about traction control in H4... Is TRAC OFF in H4 the same as it is in H2, ie. more traction control?

10. Dec 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma [OP] Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    I'm glad I have all these systems but can you imagine for the average Joe of being confused about all this or not knowing what your truck is capable of...when I get the chance I'll scan or take pictures the pages of the 13' manual

11. Dec 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

They can't even get their shit together enough to put on decent leafsprings, I'm betting that they won't EVEN try to straighten out the electronics.....

12. Dec 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    LOL DoorDing! I always wondered why the A-TRAC button is lost way over there. You've got to be pretty quick with your hands to switch between all these modes! ;)

13. Dec 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM
    Gincoma

Gincoma [OP] Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    it would of Been smart to move the 12v where the ATrac is and atrac where the 12v is.. I'm sure it can be moved if someone took the time to

14. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I like your guys's ideas on moving the buttons or making them into a dial, or whatever... That would make them more important. I wonder how many Tacoma owners never touch any of them and don't have as much fun (and frustration) as we on TW do!!??

About the A-TRAC button... like the Ronco roaster: Set It and Forget It! In other words, press it the first time you go into L4 and leave it that way. The rare instance is when you are crawling in low range and DON'T want all the tires to work for you! The normal mode is no control in L4 and that means just one tire in front and one in the rear spinning when traction is less under them... the good tires do nothing.

L4: Leave A-TRAC button to on (standby mode... as A-TRAC only works if you stop moving because traction is lost or the hill is too steep without it).

L4 Option: Add the rear locker should you ever come to a condition A-TRAC alone can't move you. Or, to have the most traction without hesitation, ie. both rear tires always locked rather than waiting for A-TRAC to 'lock' or control them. When the rear is locked the A-TRAC is only on the front tires and only will go active under 3 mph, ie. when you stop moving and need the front 'locked' too. I have done this when pulling 2WD Tacomas up steep grades or in deep snow.

H4: Should mostly be in the normal mode (which for 2009-2011 Tacomas is called 'TRAC' but is a stronger, unregulated LSD the same way AUTO LSD is in H2).

H4 Option: VSC OFF MODE for no traction control for free spinning of tires, no beeping. But, you will have LESS traction ability without limited slip on the front and rear tires as it is TRAC that transfers power to the traction tires and away from the non-traction spinning tires. Both VSC and TRAC are off together, but will come back on if truck is driven 'dangerously'.

UNKNOWN: TRAC OFF MODE (2012+): Is this more traction like AUTO LSD is 'Trac Off Mode' in H2, OR is this the entire TRAC system turned off, like it sounds? If it is more traction and not 0 traction, then this would be the preferred off road mode in H4.

15. Dec 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    So DoorDing... please see what more data you can find about the new TRAC OFF MODE in H4. In H2, TRAC OFF means AUTO LSD is ON, and that is good.

In the 2009-2011 Tacomas, when you go in H4 it is automatically in the AUTO LSD type of traction control (called TRAC in H4 by Toyota).. and pushing the VSC button quickly does nothing.

Holding in the button, while stopped, for 3-5 seconds turns off VSC and turns off traction control (as it does in H2).

Does pressing the button quickly in H4 change you from unregualted TRAC (AUTO LSD or TRAC OFF) to regulated TRAC (as it does in H2)?

*edit, seems this is what there is now: TRAC in H4 is now the same as it is in H2 (ie. regulated, light traction control). TRAC OFF is the 4WD name for AUTO LSD, the unregulated, stronger traction control.

Wow Toyota... why couldn't you just used 'AUTO LSD' for the name of the same system in 2WD and 4WD? ugggh!

THE TWO QUESTIONS WE REALLY (I REALLY) WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO: *answers found, I think!

Is 'TRAC OFF' in 4WD-HI the same unregulated traction control as AUTO LSD is in 2WD? *YES

Is TRAC ON (no light) the same 'light LSD' as TRAC in 2WD is (regulated)? *YES

16. Dec 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    Thanks for all your help, David. I missed this question until just now. I'm copying and pasting from the 2012 Tacoma manual on Toyota's website. I believe it is the same as my paper copy though. http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/owners-manuals

Here is the 2WD part. I believe the 4WD part is what I posted before. Not including the sections on A-TRAC and locker.

From page 192 and 193:

2-4. Using other driving systems
    AUTO LSD system
    The AUTO LSD system aids traction by using the traction control system to control engine performance and braking when one of the rear wheels begins to spin.
    The system should be used only when one of the rear wheels spinning occurs in a ditch or rough surface.

System operation
    The system can be used on 2WD models and in 2WD mode on 4WD models.
    Press the VSC OFF switch to turn on the system.
    At this time, the AUTO LSD and VSC OFF indicators will come on simultaneously.
    To turn off the system, push the switch again.
    If the engine is turned off while the AUTO LSD indicator is on and then restarted, the indicator will turn off automatically.

When the AUTO LSD system is operating
    If the rear wheels spin, the slip indicator flashes to indicate that the AUTO LSD system has been controlled the spinning of the rear wheels. [Yes, this typo is in the manual!]

If the engine is turned off and restarted
    The AUTO LSD system and the indicators are automatically turned off.

Reactivation of the VSC system linked to vehicle speed
    When the AUTO LSD system is turned on, the VSC system will turn on automatically if vehicle speed increases.

---

One question that I have. You and others have referred to the nanny beeping when VSC kicks in. I have driven in ways that made the VSC kick in several times while in regular 2WD mode like agressive turns at a higher than normal speed on dry pavement, and also in regular 4WD mode driving around in snow. The VSC light comes on but I hear no beeping. Should I be hearing it, or have I just not pushed it far enough or long enough to make it beep, or is this something new too?

ETA: I do get beeps for the seatbelt and if I open the door with the key in the ignition.

17. Dec 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    I also found this while researching info on another thread. Sadly, they don't mention TRAC OFF. I believe this is all generic 2012 Toyota information.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/dashboard-indicators

Here's a couple relavent items from there:

"AUTO LSD" indicator [21]

Indicates that the Auto-LSD is active.
    Auto-LSD is a second level, low-speed traction control feature. The first level, Traction Control, is designed to reduce drive-wheel spin. The key difference in the activation of Auto-LSD is that, along with brake application to a spinning wheel (which helps engage a non-spinning wheel), Auto-LSD also allows engine power to spin the drive wheels faster than the non-drive wheels. This comes in handy on boat ramps, and when driving in modest off-road terrain, where some wheel slippage is desired.

Active traction control system indicator* [11]

Indicates that Active Traction Control is engaged.
    Active Traction Control (A-TRAC): A-TRAC is a four-wheel drive (4WD) traction control system with two levels: TRAC (on road), and A-TRAC (off road). Both use a combination of braking force and reduced engine power to restore traction, but A-TRAC doesn’t reduce power to the same extent. When a drive wheel begins to spin, the system compares the speed of all four driven wheels, then uses the ABS system to slow the spinning wheel. Engine power is reduced, and power is simultaneously transferred to a non-spinning wheel on the same axle (or the opposite axle when both wheels on the same axle have lost traction).

18. Jan 2, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thank Steve... good stuff indeed... but the H4 selections are still a mystery, perhaps?

IN 2WD: 'TRAC OFF' is AUTO LSD ON (more traction)

What is 'TRAC OFF' in 4WD-HI, in 2012+ Tacomas? *** I found the answer, see below>>>

We 2009-2011s do not have a TRAC OFF light or any mode change in H4 with a quick push of the button.

In H4 we are in TRAC (as Toyota calls it) normally, but it is the 'AUTO LSD' level of traction control and not the TRAC of 2WD (which is regulated).

By stopping and holding down the button we can go into VSC OFF MODE which is no traction control at all and no VSC (same as in 2WD VSC OFF).

19. Jan 2, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thanks to the online owner's Manual in their wording... 2012 4WD-HI 'TRAC OFF' IS THE SAME AS 2WD 'TRAC OFF', which is AUTO LSD 'ON'.

2009-2011 4WD HI normal setting is called 'TRAC' but is unregulated engine output/ more traction control
    2012- 4WD HI is in regulated TRAC normally and the VSC button activates the TRAC OFF light and makes it stronger, unregulated traction control

Products Discussed in

To Top