1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Confused about Traction Control Systems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gincoma, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Dec 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma [OP] Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    speedometer .jpgIn the 09+ tacomas when I have the traction control off as shown in the picture does open diff turn into a LSD? I thought it was always LSD all the time my TRD offroad. I ask cause I was going into a steep driveway and got stuck with the snow in the road turning up the driveway then I turned it off and "Auto LSD " came on and I went right up the driveway in 2wd. Do I get better traction when its off? I thought complete opposite...

2. Dec 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma [OP] Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Now that I experienced the system now I understand what he wrote now....I'm talking about my 2013 OR...thanks for the help

3. Dec 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    snowsk8air2

snowsk8air2 how hard can it be?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    I'm guessing what you did was simply press the vsc off button, hence turning off traction control, but turning on auto lsd. In order to completely turn off the traction control/ auto lsd you must have the vehicle completely stopped and hold the button down for 5 sec according to the manual (more like 8 sec). The auto lsd light will turn off leaving only the traction control light illuminated (pic of car swerving light). If you want even more fun/ to be able to switch off vsc, traction control, abs on the fly you'll need to to the abs kill mod

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...kill-switch-mod-05-offroad-easy-way-pics.html

though this only works on OR models, you will be able to turn it all off with the flick of a switch anytime. Wire colors I would assume are the same on your 2013.

But 4x4 is your friend anywhere where there is limited traction.
    Hope this helps :thumbsup:

4. Dec 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    [QUOTE Oh, I did freak out my friends with DAC going down some rock. It definitely gets your attention![/QUOTE]

Yeah, these trucks have sooo much electrical assistance when it comes to off roading. It really is amazing what it all does, though I do miss my 07 without any of it. Which is why I did the abs kill mod and rear diff anytime mods. Sometimes they help, but sometimes its better to have it off.

5. Dec 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    [QUOTE Other than KDSS and Crawl mode, I don't think there's much electronic magic left for Toyota to withhold.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure KDSS and Crawl mode are for 2012 or newer. Don't have it on my 2011. A-TRAC is another good one, as well as hill start assist. I guess I'm comparing it to my old '07 2wd that had only the rear diff lock, so when I got my 2011 4x4, all the goodies seems like a lot. But as I said earlier, sometimes they're good, but sometimes, its better to be able to turn them off

6. Dec 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Let me know if anything wasn't crystal clear and I will try and help!

I said it different ways because we all hear different things and certain words work better than others for some people!

DAC is like A-TRAC for going down (funny sounds)... Use A-TRAC for crawling up... like 4 wheel lockers.. but different with the same results if you are patient.

As for the more typical uses of your truck:
    *Normal 2WD is TRAC (light limited slip).
    *Press the button once and turn on AUTO LSD (strong limited slip/ posi-traction) in 2WD.
    *Stop Moving, press and hold in the button for a few seconds to turn OFF traction control and VHS (Stabilty Control) for open diffs.
    * Press button again, or restart truck and your are back at TRAC normal mode.

In H4:
    TRAC is a strong limited slip naturally (like Auto LSD is in H2), so your only option is to stop and hold the button down for five seconds if you want to wheel without any traction control or stability control.

(2012 Tacomas might have an extra 4WD TRAC and AUTO LSD choice, instead of them being the same in H4.) We hope to learn the facts from you fellows with your new Off Road Tacos!

In L4, you got nothing but open differentials at low gear for crawling so one tire in back and one in the front will spin leaving you in the poop or unable to climb that hill.

The OFF ROAD TRD has TWO systems and a hydraulic brake booster that sets it miles above all other factorty stock vehicles.
    1) A-TRAC turns the truck into a tank on wheels
    2) REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL. For the times you don;t need a computer to power the logical wheel to move the truck, you know that both rear tires spinning together will power you ahead.
    3) BOTH the LOCKER and the A-TRAC can be on together so if your forward progress is halted, then the front tires are under A-TRAC's control below 3 mph! This will pull the front of your beast up and over anything possible... from the factory, stock equipment.

Breakr007 likes this.
  7. Dec 28, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    JimBCa

JimBCa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bay Area California
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Build Duratrac 265/75R16 Load rated E BAMF Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Front bumper and skid plates (3) Pro Runner front and rear shocks,Add-A-Leaf springs ATO (Armor Tech Offroad) hilift mounts, Famous Fabrication cb antenna/flag mount CoverKing Tactical seat covers, Flyzeye dash-light ARE Shell, backup light mod SumoSprings and Stops
    Going to print David's post and place in my truck until I get all these button combinations down.

Looking forward to hitting the desert and giving them a go.

:)

8. Dec 28, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    While driving in the snow last week the VSC system surprised me a couple of times. It actually straightend me out from a drift when I was playing around and kept me out of the snow berm that I was headed for

9. Dec 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    B11

B11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    After reading this I can see I need to spend more time reading my owners manual and playing with these different settings so I know what they all do and how to make them do it. Good info, thanks!

10. Dec 28, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Exactly what it is supposed to do... good to hear!

11. Dec 28, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    You are welcome... please report back your findings in H4: Is there now two levels of traction control in H4, as there is in H2?:

If you press the VSC Off button once (don't hold down): Does anything new light up (as this does in H2 for 'AUTO LSD').

Anyone with a 2013 Off Road 4WD, as well.. same question.

If there is, we can say there are 10 Drive Modes in the Off Road 4WD Tacoma!

12. Dec 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    B11

B11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    If you can tell me what it is you want too know about a 2013 w/TRD OR, I'll go check on mine and report back my findings. Be specific, this is a new vehicle to me and after reading here, I clearly know little about how all the different systems work. :)

13. Dec 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

Yes, thank you!

1) Turn on the truck... then press the VSC OFF button avatar7907_14_2dbf3432433974eeb60eb958d75d15d11c97c2f3.gif

You should see these come on:
    1-26-11012_2d80078b1525b690dafcfd6a9dc2af7b3e977e3b.jpg

Over 30 mph the VSC OFF light will go out.

Now press the button again to return to 'normal' trac and vsc on modes.

2) Turn dial to H4... move a bit to see that it engages into 4WD.

1-26-11020_dadd453c8516d8faf6bef5e59c3fab1085fc2b50.jpg
    1-26-11011_7f063a1adee9b62694577c295cca89f3e3f04806.jpg

3) Press the VSC OFF button as you did before (don't hold in).

In the 2009-2011 trucks (and maybe yours?) nothing happens... H4 has TRAC ON normally, but it is the stronger AUTO LSD type of TRAC (no engine regulation). No lights come on in H4 with a quick push of the VSC button.

IF you get an AUTO LSD light on while you are in 4WD (HIGH), then they indeed added an additional mode... and then note if the VSC OFF light is also on in H4... drive over 30 mph and see if it goes out.

======================================================

TRAC without regulation in H4 (or AUTO LSD) is a great enhancement over open differentials (no traction control) when off roading... I could take my 2010 places at full air pressure in the tires that I could not in my 2005, for example... Climbing in high range was nearly as easy as what took low range and locked diff. in my 2005.

Thank you for your findings!

FYI... in H2 or H4 if you stop the truck, press and hold down the VSC button for a few seconds, the traction control turns off and VSC is off (unless you drive dangerously and it will come back on). This allows tire spinning... possible getting stuck... but no beep-beep-beep of the VSC warning. When you press the button again, or restart the truck, all functions return to normal.
    1-26-11013_05d1f707c3a1c5b1c82b4e510f94c4b96562fe76.jpg

14. Dec 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Well, I would like to confirm the rumors that there now is a choice of TRAC and AUTO LSD in H4... In my truck, they are the same function in H4, and they call it TRAC... but in 2WD, TRAC is not the same as AUTO LSD.

You can drive straight over 30 mph in 4WD... it is turning on hard surfaces that cause binding... just pop it back to H2 before turning.

Thank you!

15. Dec 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    2012 TRD Sport... NEGATIVE. No dash indications for AUTO LSD/TRAC IN H4... Only H2 Not sure if thats different from a TRD OR

16. Dec 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thank you JT... a SPORT and OFF ROAD is the same in H4, only in L4 does the OFF ROAD have more traction features. The Off Road does have a different brake booster (hydraulic vs. the vacuum of other Tacomas) and that may add to limited slip power in H4?

Looking for more 2012/ 2013 replies...

17. Dec 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    I just tried this in my 2012 Off Road. When in 4-HI and I momentarily press the VSC OFF button. the TRAC OFF light comes on. When I hit 30 MPH it goes off again.

ETA: Here's a very poor video of some of the modes on my truck. Let me know if you want me to go through other combinations.

http://youtu.be/LFcDOLRPnHM

18. Dec 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Very nice!

You have shown a NEW feature... TRAC OFF LIGHT. So what does that mean or do? Please post a photo of the owner's manual page on TRAC OFF while in H4.

We (2009-2011) don't have a TRAC OFF light... only a AUTO LSD or VSC OFF light.

In H2, AUTO LSD is the TRAC OFF MODE (but means more TRAC as there is no regulation). You have TRAC (light LSD) and AUTO LSD (strong TRAC) and VSC OFF MODE (no TRAC or VSC).

In H4, the normal mode (called TRAC) is the same as AUTO LSD but on both axles... so strong LSD only. Then, you can hold the button in for a few seconds for VSC OFF MODE, as you can in H2... for open differentials and free spinning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I see you pressed the RR Locker... but do not forget the A-TRAC button (down by the elec. outlet/ cig. lighter)! Use A-TRAC any time you need to go to L4. The locker is an emergency setting, and since A-TRAC was added, it really isn't necessary for most severe off roading since the A-TRAC 'locks' the front and rear tires from spinning. I have run both on together... in snow or pulling... the A-TRAC only activates if you drop below 3 mph and you get front tire spin... wonderful!

19. Dec 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    But, do you get a TRAC OFF light??? Please experiment with TRAC OFF and then push the button again and see what is different.

I can only guess that instead of calling it AUTO LSD, they call it TRAC OFF in H4??? Is it unregulated traction control (as with AUTO LSD/ TRACX OFF MODE in H2) or simply VSC without TRAC???

When you stop the truck in H4, and press the button.. holding it in, do VSC OFF lights come on after a few seconds (3-5)?

THANK YOU!!

20. Dec 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    MarkM

MarkM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro / BRO
    This thread makes me wish I bought an OR instead of the SR5.

Products Discussed in

To Top