Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Confused about Traction Control Systems

Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Confused about Traction Control Systems

Confused about Traction Control Systems-speedometer-.jpgIn the 09+ tacomas when I have the traction control off as shown in the picture does open diff turn into a LSD? I thought it was always LSD all the time my TRD offroad. I ask cause I was going into a steep driveway and got stuck with the snow in the road turning up the driveway then I turned it off and "Auto LSD " came on and I went right up the driveway in 2wd. Do I get better traction when its off? I thought complete opposite...
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
From the Mind of David K ...

'09+ Tacoma Drive Modes/Traction Controls (TRAC, AUTO LSD, A-TRAC, REAR LOCKER)

Bear in mind, there may be some minor differences in +2012 behavior. FWIW, I think Toyota needlessly complicated the traction systems.

For clarity, exactly what truck are you asking about?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
From the Mind of David K ...

'09+ Tacoma Drive Modes/Traction Controls (TRAC, AUTO LSD, A-TRAC, REAR LOCKER)

Bear in mind, there may be some minor differences in +2012 behavior. FWIW, I think Toyota needlessly complicated the traction systems.

For clarity, exactly what truck are you asking about?
Now that I experienced the system now I understand what he wrote now....I'm talking about my 2013 OR...thanks for the help
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
Now that I experienced the system now I understand what he wrote now....I'm talking about my 2013 OR...thanks for the help
All the thanks goes to David. I still need to take my '12 OR out in the snow to run it through its paces. I think that'll help me sort through all of the drive modes.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guessing what you did was simply press the vsc off button, hence turning off traction control, but turning on auto lsd. In order to completely turn off the traction control/ auto lsd you must have the vehicle completely stopped and hold the button down for 5 sec according to the manual (more like 8 sec). The auto lsd light will turn off leaving only the traction control light illuminated (pic of car swerving light). If you want even more fun/ to be able to switch off vsc, traction control, abs on the fly you'll need to to the abs kill mod

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-way-pics.html

though this only works on OR models, you will be able to turn it all off with the flick of a switch anytime. Wire colors I would assume are the same on your 2013.

But 4x4 is your friend anywhere where there is limited traction.
Hope this helps
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsk8air2 View Post
But 4x4 is your friend anywhere where there is limited traction.
Hope this helps
So far, all I've used is 4H, 4L, and the rear locker. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Oh, I did freak out my friends with DAC going down some rock. It definitely gets your attention!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
how hard can it be?

[QUOTE Oh, I did freak out my friends with DAC going down some rock. It definitely gets your attention![/QUOTE]

Yeah, these trucks have sooo much electrical assistance when it comes to off roading. It really is amazing what it all does, though I do miss my 07 without any of it. Which is why I did the abs kill mod and rear diff anytime mods. Sometimes they help, but sometimes its better to have it off.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsk8air2 View Post
Yeah, these trucks have sooo much electrical assistance when it comes to off roading. It really is amazing what it all does, though I do miss my 07 without any of it. Which is why I did the abs kill mod and rear diff anytime mods. Sometimes they help, but sometimes its better to have it off.
DAC is a good example. While I can see how it might be useful, I have to wonder how much ABS pulsing can occur before making the brakes unhappy. Other than KDSS and Crawl mode, I don't think there's much electronic magic left for Toyota to withhold.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
how hard can it be?

[QUOTE Other than KDSS and Crawl mode, I don't think there's much electronic magic left for Toyota to withhold.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure KDSS and Crawl mode are for 2012 or newer. Don't have it on my 2011. A-TRAC is another good one, as well as hill start assist. I guess I'm comparing it to my old '07 2wd that had only the rear diff lock, so when I got my 2011 4x4, all the goodies seems like a lot. But as I said earlier, sometimes they're good, but sometimes, its better to be able to turn them off
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Well, let's play chess.

I think Crawl is exclusive to the 200 Series Land Cruiser, and KDSS is only found on a few late model SUVs. I can do without both, but I'd like a simple disconnect system for the front anti-sway bar.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know if anything wasn't crystal clear and I will try and help!

I said it different ways because we all hear different things and certain words work better than others for some people!

DAC is like A-TRAC for going down (funny sounds)... Use A-TRAC for crawling up... like 4 wheel lockers.. but different with the same results if you are patient.

As for the more typical uses of your truck:
*Normal 2WD is TRAC (light limited slip).
*Press the button once and turn on AUTO LSD (strong limited slip/ posi-traction) in 2WD.
*Stop Moving, press and hold in the button for a few seconds to turn OFF traction control and VHS (Stabilty Control) for open diffs.
* Press button again, or restart truck and your are back at TRAC normal mode.

In H4:
TRAC is a strong limited slip naturally (like Auto LSD is in H2), so your only option is to stop and hold the button down for five seconds if you want to wheel without any traction control or stability control.

(2012 Tacomas might have an extra 4WD TRAC and AUTO LSD choice, instead of them being the same in H4.) We hope to learn the facts from you fellows with your new Off Road Tacos!

In L4, you got nothing but open differentials at low gear for crawling so one tire in back and one in the front will spin leaving you in the poop or unable to climb that hill.

The OFF ROAD TRD has TWO systems and a hydraulic brake booster that sets it miles above all other factorty stock vehicles.
1) A-TRAC turns the truck into a tank on wheels
2) REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL. For the times you don;t need a computer to power the logical wheel to move the truck, you know that both rear tires spinning together will power you ahead.
3) BOTH the LOCKER and the A-TRAC can be on together so if your forward progress is halted, then the front tires are under A-TRAC's control below 3 mph! This will pull the front of your beast up and over anything possible... from the factory, stock equipment.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
Well, let's play chess.

This is where someone will make a snide front locker comment.

Thanks again for the charts and such, David.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
Going to print David's post and place in my truck until I get all these button combinations down.

Looking forward to hitting the desert and giving them a go.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
Southbound
Westside has a spectacular aura aboutWestside has a spectacular aura about
Name: JT
Westside's Tacoma Gallery
While driving in the snow last week the VSC system surprised me a couple of times. It actually straightend me out from a drift when I was playing around and kept me out of the snow berm that I was headed for
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
After reading this I can see I need to spend more time reading my owners manual and playing with these different settings so I know what they all do and how to make them do it. Good info, thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside View Post
While driving in the snow last week the VSC system surprised me a couple of times. It actually straightend me out from a drift when I was playing around and kept me out of the snow berm that I was headed for
Exactly what it is supposed to do... good to hear!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #17

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
This is where someone will make a snide front locker comment.

Thanks again for the charts and such, David.
You are welcome... please report back your findings in H4: Is there now two levels of traction control in H4, as there is in H2?:

If you press the VSC Off button once (don't hold down): Does anything new light up (as this does in H2 for 'AUTO LSD').

Anyone with a 2013 Off Road 4WD, as well.. same question.

If there is, we can say there are 10 Drive Modes in the Off Road 4WD Tacoma!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
If you can tell me what it is you want too know about a 2013 w/TRD OR, I'll go check on mine and report back my findings. Be specific, this is a new vehicle to me and after reading here, I clearly know little about how all the different systems work.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
If you can tell me what it is you want too know about a 2013 w/TRD OR, I'll go check on mine and report back my findings. Be specific, this is a new vehicle to me and after reading here, I clearly know little about how all the different systems work.

Yes, thank you!

1) Turn on the truck... then press the VSC OFF button

You should see these come on:

Over 30 mph the VSC OFF light will go out.

Now press the button again to return to 'normal' trac and vsc on modes.

2) Turn dial to H4... move a bit to see that it engages into 4WD.

3) Press the VSC OFF button as you did before (don't hold in).

In the 2009-2011 trucks (and maybe yours?) nothing happens... H4 has TRAC ON normally, but it is the stronger AUTO LSD type of TRAC (no engine regulation). No lights come on in H4 with a quick push of the VSC button.

IF you get an AUTO LSD light on while you are in 4WD (HIGH), then they indeed added an additional mode... and then note if the VSC OFF light is also on in H4... drive over 30 mph and see if it goes out.

================================================== ====

TRAC without regulation in H4 (or AUTO LSD) is a great enhancement over open differentials (no traction control) when off roading... I could take my 2010 places at full air pressure in the tires that I could not in my 2005, for example... Climbing in high range was nearly as easy as what took low range and locked diff. in my 2005.

Thank you for your findings!

FYI... in H2 or H4 if you stop the truck, press and hold down the VSC button for a few seconds, the traction control turns off and VSC is off (unless you drive dangerously and it will come back on). This allows tire spinning... possible getting stuck... but no beep-beep-beep of the VSC warning. When you press the button again, or restart the truck, all functions return to normal.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
Well, let's play chess.

David, I didn't realize how badly you wanted that information! I don't have a place I can check the +30 mph aspect of the test routine, but I can check for the "AUTO LSD light on while in 4WD (HIGH)" condition this evening.