1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DAC does nothing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Horndog, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Dec 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    :bananadead:

2. Dec 29, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    SKEWPS!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dec 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
  4. Dec 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Derps?

Haha, sorry I had to.

5. Dec 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Trying to get back on topic:

DAC, hill start assist, crawl control (dear god I'm so glad I don't have that), ATRAC, VSC, even electronic 4x4 engage switches and so on are nice electronic ideas that manufacturers have developed to 'idiot-proof' (no offense, just using the term) a vehicle rather than require real driving expertise. Certainly some of these devices can improve a vehicle's prowess, but there is still a lot to be said for the driver, and 'how did we do it all those years in the past?'

I've taken classes with Bill Burke, and from what I've learned, this is what he taught me (I highly recommend the class, even for those looking to handle their vehicle safely in mild 4x4 conditions):

------------------------
    For a steep hill, the situation needs proper gear, brake, throttle, and steering control.
    Place the vehicle in 4L 1st gear
    You will want to begin with the foot fully on the brake, then ease off just until you begin momentum.
    Continue to ride the brake, which will assist your slow descent. Remember, once you gain speed, it is harder and more dangerous to lose that speed. For very long descents over a couple hundred feet that contain extreme steep conditions, you may need to plan stopping points if possible to cool the brakes to prevent them from fading. If there is no possibilities, re-assess and consider finding a different path if necessary.
    Do not lock up the brakes. This will cause a loss of control
    If you feel the vehicle attempting to go sideways, you may need to ease off brake or apply a tap of gas to realign.

During all this, maintain hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel, and make small corrections - you should not have to lift your hands off the wheel to maintain steering unless there is a corner.
    Generally, keep the top of the steering wheel pointed downhill. The vehicle may self-steer a certain amount, and this is OK so long as you don't overcorrect. Square yourself up to dips and holes such that the vehicle will not attempt to bring the rear end around.
    ----------------------------------

Of course, there's a certain point where it's just too slick and you have to avoid.

All of the above can be performed on any vehicle that has a low range transfer case.

If you have the money for it or were looking for an excuse, this is the time where lower gears or a crawl box is going to shine. Below is my friend's truck showing off his gears... he typically gets out of the truck and walks alongside on all but the worst hills

http://vimeo.com/36176264

6. Dec 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I agree, there definitely is some sort of animosity between Sport and OR owners.. the only thing I'm jelly of is all the extra little bells and whistles the Off Road has for you guessed it off roading! lol I think they are both great trucks and have their ups and downs. I think the problem is that many people (including myself) are not 100% educated on what the two trucks have or have a lack thereof, so they might have made the wrong initial decision, but you really can't blame them. Toyota does not do a great job of explaining the differences between the two packages in the first place. So it's somewhat like the blind leading the blind.

7. Dec 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Yup, which is the point I was hoping to make. I can't remember if ABS disengages in 4L... if not, I'm now out of warranty and ready for another mod :D

Your guess is correct. Plastic switches are cheap. Also, they are less intimidating to the weekend warrior. These devices used to be for the more rough and tumble, who didn't mind getting out and locking hubs, and who knew how to operate a second lever on the floor.
    ...although, I guess I don't mind not having to climb out to lock hubs :eek:

8. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    VSC disengages. ABS never does as far as I'm concerned and have seen.

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I believe ABS is off , when the locker is engaged on TRD Offroads , this is the way that Landphil's ABS bypass mod works

10. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Oh man, I really need to do yellow wire mod and ABS cutoff on mine (If abs cutoff on sports exists).

11. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    If A-TRAC (and TRAC) was just a gimmick and not do much, then I would agree and stick to old tried and true off roading methods (I have been driving 4WDs since the early 1970's).

The beauty is that without spending thousands on after market products, one can drive a showroom Off Road 4WD Tacoma most anyplace any other off road vehicle could go, and beyond where most would take a new truck. That is value. Having the front tires with a locker-like traction system (A-TRAC) puts this Tacoma far above my previous Off Road Tacomas in ability, and safety, excitement... You just go anywhere, with confidence now.

12. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  13. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
  14. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Works the same

15. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Oh really? Awesome, I'll have to do mine here very soon. I just need to buy the switch. Too bad Toyota doesn't make a nanny control off switch.

16. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I thought the discussion was about DAC... now its about ATRAC :facepalm:

17. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    TW member Nut used this same approach on his '12 , works fine

18. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    DAC doesn't control steering
    ABS has proved its shortcomings in snow
    ATRAC doesn't tell you when to apply throttle

Electronic controls can be very good when used in the PROPER context. However, it always has rested on the shoulders of proper driver execution through a good degree of experience.

Until the vehicle can fully drive itself, there is always room for error that can be fixed by education... but really, do we want it to get to that point, where the vehicle sucks all the responsibility from the driver?

What about us with the locker? If you aren't sure, I'll go do my research, it just sounds like you've been intimate with the topic and could hopefully save me some looking :)

19. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Locker guys use Crom's method

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3550563

20. Dec 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Perhaps because I have 40 years of 4WD driving skill, the systems work so well for me, because I can appreciate the improvements over earlier, stock 4WD rigs? Sure, without driver skill or intelligence he will get stuck or roll over!

DAC and A-TRAC use the same ABS and computer... A-TRAC helps you to get to the top and DAC helps you get back to the bottom.

ABS does go off when the rear is locked, yes.

Rear Locked Lights:

1-26-11007_e192a87c9336a68959bbf1719ec0f97087388b90.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top