LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Want to paint my chrome bumper black...

Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Want to paint my chrome bumper black...

I did it to my old 01 using spray can Bedliner but it was rough looking to start with and anything was an improvement. My 09 looks really good and the rear chrome bumper is in great shape but I'm just not a fan of chrome. Can I paint it using plastidip without scratching the hell out of it first, or will the black just peel off? Other cheap ideas for me to get a black rear bumper? I stress cheap, I can't afford a new bumper right now.

I'd be willing to trade my raptor ss tube steps for a black rear bumper, I plan on starting a thread in buy/sell but don't have any pictures yet.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti-dip is highly overrated. My dash in my WRX is plasti-dipped and has held up well the last couple of years, but I plasti-dipped some chrome on my Harley and it lasted about a month. Anything you plan on washing or getting a bit of use will peel right off. The stuff in the car has been very gingerly handled for fear of the plasti-dip peeling off. In hindsight I would have rather just used flat black grill paint.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Long Member
Chayes119 has a spectacular aura aboutChayes119 has a spectacular aura aboutChayes119 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: CS SOF Gunship/Avionics PM
Chayes119's Tacoma Gallery
I painted my rear bumper flat black on my truck. I am not a big fan of plstidip. I did have to scuff the chrome first. It has held up for 3 years now. It only cost me about $20 and 4 hrs.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I would trade you then you could do a painted one :-)
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
jarhead773 is on a distinguished road

Marines: 4th MAW Sgt
jarhead773's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti dip is definitely the way to go before you sand and prime. It'll come off of you desire, but it'll show you what it looks like at least.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Somethings Fuckey
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
You could powder coat it.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't like chrome then I say paint it. Yes this means you will have to clean, scuff, degrease, clean, prime, and paint. I will emphasize cleaning and good prep work. Take your time with light coats. Get a good primer base down and do some wet sanding with some 600 grit sand paper then spray light coats of paint. SEM and TransStar make good products. If you want the finish to last a long time then use a clear coat as your final step.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I sanded the chrome off of my bumper and used the spray can bed liner. That was a few years ago and it is still holding up fine with never needing to do a touch up.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
MikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant future
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Why not put feelers out to see if someone local with a base model truck is willing to trade? I'm sure there's members that wouldn't mind the chrome rear bumper.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I would love a chrome bumper!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
I plasti dipped mine but its only for a few months.. because i am getting a plate bumper for the rear! sorry for the quality it was early in the am and it was raining all night.. it works good for now but not sure about long term?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
marcballz is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
marcballz's Tacoma Gallery
hey im thinking about sandblasting my chrome bumper and painting it factory color. is that easier as to sanding it & scuffing it?
?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcballz View Post
hey im thinking about sandblasting my chrome bumper and painting it factory color. is that easier as to sanding it & scuffing it?
?

I have done this before. It works pretty well.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcballz View Post
?

If you have access to a blaster i would definitely go and do that. faster and does a better job. It's always best to go down to bare metal.