Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS sucks in snow

Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsk8air2 View Post
Just got back from my first snow drive in my truck. I have the abs kill mod done and from what i saw during my "testing" is the abs is over sensitive and having it off in the snow/ ice, I stopped much quicker with the system turned off, even mashing the brakes and skidding to a stop seemed better than with the abs on. Also...finally experienced duratracs in the snow. Worked great, even making some first tracks through some fresh powder up to my sliders.
ABS is proven to INCREASE stopping distances on snow
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
It saved my skin twice in full lock ups on pavement
I imagine it would if I was in a full on emergency stop slide. With the shitty oem tires that slip and slide in wet conditions it just makes it feel too sensitive to me. I was just trying to slow down before entering a school zone (from 45 to 15) and it engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
Do you guys that find the ABS overly sensitive all have Sports?

I find the ABS on my Off Road to be less active than previous vehicles I've owned. I'm a fairly aggressive driver and I think the ABS only kicked in once briefly on a very icy patch at a stoplight. I can stop really well and the ABS doesn't normally even try to activate, or at least that I can tell at all.
Mine is a Prerunner. I had a base model before this one and I don't think I ever had the ABS engage on it. I was wondering if maybe Toyota had modified it after all the run away acceleration accusations.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a Sport

are you talking about driving on snow other than your one instance on ice ?
Yes, driving around on some pretty bad snow-packed and icy roads in general over the past week. It just brakes and stops great in those conditions.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #24
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
Mine is a Prerunner. I had a base model before this one and I don't think I ever had the ABS engage on it. I was wondering if maybe Toyota had modified it after all the run away acceleration accusations.
SR5 , Offroad or Sport Prerunner ?

Mine is an '09 , the unintended acceleration BS started after I bought my truck so I think that kills that theory
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #25

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, driving around on some pretty bad snow-packed and icy roads in general over the past week. It just brakes and stops great in those conditions.
Do you have an Offroad ?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #26
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OEM tires?

Quote:
SR5 , Offroad or Sport Prerunner ?

Mine is an '09 , the unintended acceleration BS started after I bought my truck so I think that kills that theory
2012 Prerunner SR5
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #27
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ABS is proven to INCREASE stopping distances on snow
I had heard, but had to go test it out myself My only previous snow driving experience was in my '07 OR that was 2wd and unmodded, slipping and sliding all over the place. 4wd in my current truck, abs off, and good tires was very impressive. 4wd is definitely the only way to go as I've been learning since getting my current truck. Never getting a 2wd again.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have an Offroad ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
OEM tires?
2102 Off Road with a little over 1300 miles on it and the factory Ragged Fails, which actually seem to do well except for deep snow, which is to be expected.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #29
Matrix
12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Space Command
12Tac's Tacoma Gallery
I've got OEM tires (still) and found that my ABS is great in the snow and ice. I guess your mileage will vary.

12Tac
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #30

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2102 Off Road
Interesting

I wonder if the brake booster in the Ofrroads plays some part in this equation
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Tac View Post
I've got OEM tires (still) and found that my ABS is great in the snow and ice. I guess your mileage will vary.

12Tac
What model truck do you have ?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #32
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It saved my skin twice in full lock ups on pavement
Once so far here, I was amazed at how quickly it stopped. I remember watching a pickup truck comparison and the Tacoma stopped 15-20+ feet quicker than any other truck. Ranger, Canyon, Frontier, Ridgeline etc.

It is too sensitive in the snow/ice but I spend 95ish% of the miles on pavement with two kids in the back for lots of it.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #33
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting

Maybe its different on the 2012 an newers? My '11 tx pro (same as OR) the abs seems very sensitive and almost instantly kicks in in the snow, even in the desert too which is where most of my wheeling takes place.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #34
Matrix
12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Space Command
12Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What model truck do you have ?

'12 double cab long bed.

12Tac
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting

Maybe. I suppose the ABS system may be able to pulse differently, improving its snow & ice performance. Tire selection will probably make a bigger difference, though.

The best way to check would be to take a pair of new trucks (OR & non-OR, 2H only) off the lot and test them on the same stretch of snowy road. At the same speed and at the same point on the road, stomp on the pedal and see the difference in stopping distance. The same test could be run with the driver trying to threshold brake to the point of ABS activation, but it'd be much more difficult to regulate the amount and duration of pedal input. If someone could compare an OR and non-OR with the same tires, that'd be even better.

I just haven't had enough snow time to have an opinion of how my stock '12 OR stops on snow and ice. On dry or wet pavement, the truck stops very well.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #36
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Offroad. I was driving around today in the new snow and the ABS kicked in today a few times when I wasn't even going real fast nor stomping on the brakes. I also need new rear brake shoes so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The one time I stopped well through the stop sign with the ABS doing it's thing. It's not a good feeling when the pedal is vibrating and you're still sliding forward.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #37
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TacoTrD View Post
I have an Offroad. I was driving around today in the new snow and the ABS kicked in today a few times when I wasn't even going real fast nor stomping on the brakes. I also need new rear brake shoes so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The one time I stopped well through the stop sign with the ABS doing it's thing. It's not a good feeling when the pedal is vibrating and you're still sliding forward.
I find myself constantly looking for escape routes when driving on snow & ice, no matter the vehicle. I do that regardless of conditions, but snow & ice make it much more important. As long as you keep your speed down, you may be able take a Tacoma over a curb with no damage. Better a scuffed sidewall than something more exciting.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
Very sensitive abs.....
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #39
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
ABS is designed to not lock up the brakes in slippery conditions. It is not designed to reduce stopping distances. It is amazing how many people do not realize this and think they can drive like it is dry out.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #40
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
ABS is designed to not lock up the brakes in slippery conditions. It is not designed to reduce stopping distances. It is amazing how many people do not realize this and think they can drive like it is dry out.
"[N]ot lock up the brakes", which means that the tires are still turning enough to possibly allow steering around an obstacle and maintaining better control of the vehicle. The issue being discussed is whether the Tacoma's ABS activates at too low of a threshold, which may needlessly increase stopping distances.

What often gets people into trouble with ABS is forgetting to steer while applying maximum pressure to the brake pedal. If you aren't doing that during panic stops in an ABS equipped vehicle, you aren't using the brake system as intended. Failing to steer and pumping the brakes in an effort to threshold brake are the usual errors.