Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS sucks in snow

Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #41
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
ABS and snow do suck. The bypass mod is helpful, but I would recommend not overlooking increased following distance and engine braking.

Sometimes, in slippery conditions, you don't have any brakes, regardless of what system is installed on your vehicle.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #42
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
ABS is designed to not lock up the brakes in slippery conditions. It is not designed to reduce stopping distances. It is amazing how many people do not realize this and think they can drive like it is dry out.
All true

it's also true that ABS INCREASES stopping distances on snow
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #43
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doc
Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
It's tough for an auto maker to include systems for every climate, you guys get snow and ice while some of us never deal with it. I feel for you guys but am grateful the stock system works for us in the warmer climes. Good luck finding a work around.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #44
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
All true

it's also true that ABS INCREASES stopping distances on snow
ABS increases stopping distance in any weather.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #45
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
ABS increases stopping distance in any weather.
Exactly
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #46
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge View Post
I recall reading other posts on this. Is there a solution? Very low, ie crawl speed, slight downgrade, apPly brakes, it just pulses and keeps going and going and going.... Never, ever had a vehicle that acted like this in the snow. Fucking pathetic. If I test drove in the snow and this is all there is, I would have never purchased.
amen
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #47

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces for many drivers; however, on loose surfaces like gravel or snow-covered pavement, ABS can significantly increase braking distance .[1]
Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #48
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces for many drivers; however, on loose surfaces like gravel or snow-covered pavement, ABS can significantly increase braking distance .[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

The semicolon was the giveaway.

Check this out, from the same page:

"In gravel, sand and deep snow, ABS tends to increase braking distances. On these surfaces, locked wheels dig in and stop the vehicle more quickly. ABS prevents this from occurring. Some ABS calibrations reduce this problem by slowing the cycling time, thus letting the wheels repeatedly briefly lock and unlock. Some vehicle manufacturers provide an "off-road" button to turn ABS function off. The primary benefit of ABS on such surfaces is to increase the ability of the driver to maintain control of the car rather than go into a skid, though loss of control remains more likely on soft surfaces such as gravel or on slippery surfaces such as snow or ice. On a very slippery surface such as sheet ice or gravel, it is possible to lock multiple wheels at once, and this can defeat ABS (which relies on comparing all four wheels, and detecting individual wheels skidding). Availability of ABS relieves most drivers from learning threshold braking."
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #49
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Tac View Post
I've got OEM tires (still) and found that my ABS is great in the snow and ice. I guess your mileage will vary.

12Tac
+1 here 2012 O/R TRD with OEM tires - did fine today in the snow. Was in 4x4 most of the time, turned it off for a bit in a parking lot so I could understand how she handles when the ass end lets loose.

Coming from a RWD BMW M3 the Taco is a dream.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #51
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
wut ?
I was fairly sure you were quoting that paragraph.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #52

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I was fairly sure you were quoting that paragraph.
I was , is that an issue ?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #53
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomVirus View Post
+1 here 2012 O/R TRD with OEM tires - did fine today in the snow. Was in 4x4 most of the time, turned it off for a bit in a parking lot so I could understand how she handles when the ass end lets loose.

Coming from a RWD BMW M3 the Taco is a dream.
There's been some speculation that the OR's ABS may operate differently than the others. There are differences in the brake system due to the use of A-TRAC on the OR, so it's possible.

I hope you see enough snow and offroad use in the Tacoma to make up for the loss of the M3. Those are some mighty fine cars.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #54
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
I was , is that an issue ?
Not at all, hence the . I wasn't implying that you'd done anything wrong. My apologies if that was your inference.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #55
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
tires make a big difference. mine works ok with the snow tires. with regular tires, not as well. traction baby
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #56
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I'm not disputing any information given in this thread, I hate the ABS in the snow just as much as you guys do. It feels like it never lets go, or pulses like other systems do... BUT

In low traction conditions, you guys should really consider 4WD and downshifting a gear before ever touching the brakes. When you're in 4WD and you downshift, stopping power is essentially 50/50 between front and rear axles. When you step on the brakes its more like 60/40 front and rear, respectively. Its much easier to brake the tires loose by using the brakes than downshifting.

Drive safe, as you always should. When approaching a stop, downshift 1 gear, down two gears is acceptable if you're not bringing up the RPM's above say... 3,000 rpm. Lightly use your brakes to increase your stopping power, but you'll find you wont to use them as much. I've been able to stop much faster this way without triggering the ABS.

Food for thought. I may look into this ABS kill switch for winter though, but in the summertime it has saved my ass once.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #58
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
My '06 DCSB base with the vaccuum booster is way oversensitive on snow and ice, I don't think its just the Sports. Decent tires help a lot, as do driving to conditions. Replacing my base tokico shocks with TRD billies helps some too, more on bumpy roads. That said, this ABS system doesn't seem to allow enough % of slippage to give any braking once it engages. It even engages at less than 10kph, where its of no real value. Compared to other modern ABS equipped vehicles I've driven without issue, I've found it downright scary a few times. ABS is indeed designed to give steering (directional control) priority over braking, to allow the driver to avoid a crash by steering around an obstacle, but it should modulate threshold braking at the same time, something that doesn't happen well in my experiences. Installing the disable switch was one of the best mods I've done on my tacoma, as I often combine snow and "off road" driving. And, with a flip of the switch, I have it enabled again for safety at higher speeds on road.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #59

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ exactly

There is no opportunity to utilize threshold braking at all
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #60
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sometimes, in slippery conditions, you don't have any brakes, regardless of what system is installed on your vehicle.
Nods! Sometimes you have four tires, and sometimes you don't.

Another note about ABS: It isn't neccesarily designed to bring your vehicle to a complete stop. One of its main functions is to keep your vehicle straight when you apply brakes - especially important when you are driving at speed.

Impacting an object straight on with the designed crumple zone is better than an irregular collision at a slightly lower speed.

Obviously the focus isn't on crashing your truck every time you hit the brakes in inclement weather...I'm just making an argument for why having ABS turned on at higher speeds is an intelligent choice.