Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS sucks in snow

Old 12-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #81
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
I live in VT and work in NH. I used to own a 2010 SR5 4x4, and now I have a 2013 Sport 4x4. I guess I must have gotten 2 special trucks because after 3.5 New England winters the ABS has never acted up in the way some of your's has. Maybe this is only on older models? (I didn't read the entire thread)

I have felt it come on briefly from time to time, but it immediately shuts back off within a second or two, and immediately if I release the brake and gently press it again, the same as any other vehicle that I've owned.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #82
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
There is nothing they can do at the dealer to change this. The programming is done at the ABS Controller manufacturer to the specifications required by the automobile manufacturer ( Toyota ). The dealer doesn't have the equipment or knowledge to do this.

** I work for Bosch who is a Major player in the manufacture / development of ABS Systems for automobiles.
Exactly, its not going to be any kind of parameter setting that can be changed with Techstream.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #83
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Anti lock brakes are the most important advance in braking technology since 4 wheel hydraulic brakes back in the 1930s. Yet all ABS does is pump the brakes so the wheels don't lock up, that's all. ABS doesn't shorten stopping distances just like it doesn't make stopping distances longer, it just prevents wheel lock up. The ABS in my Celica & Tacoma has saved my ass when jerks pulled out in front of me at highway speed. Instead of locking up and plowing into them I was able to steer around the butt-head's vehicles. Stomp & steer.
I will NEVER again buy a vehicle without ABS, unless it's an old classic like a 57 Chevy or something like that.
All you members having stopping problems with ABS, well I think it's operator err.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #85
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
ABS does increase stopping distances on snow
Truth.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #86
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup. You're trading some stopping distance for the possibility of better control. The problem is, some people are pretty sure they're getting a bad deal out of that trade when their trucks are on snow or offroad. I really don't think it's all driver error.

I'll add that it's a shame that Toyota isn't on board with an ABS braking kill switch. They could easily program the system to revert to conventional braking when the brake pedal was applied, but leave the system active to assist with all of its other functions (A-TRAC, Auto LSD, etc.). That would be the smart way to go about it. If someone figures out a mod for that, it'll get a lot of use.

Hmmm, I just thought of something that might work.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #88
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How? Are you saying skidding will stop you faster on snow or ice?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #89
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
Yes , I am
Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #90
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah its def. operator error to apply brakes only to get that crappy mushy pulse thru the pedal that only ABS provides...

Sorry, when I stomp my pedal I want lock up on all 4's...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #91
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
Of course it will. Push a fixed wheel across the ground, then roll it. Which one gave you more difficulty in overcoming the friction?

By automatically allowing some wheel rotation under maximum driver input, ABS may give the driver enough control to steer around an obstacle. Most manufacturers seem to have ABS tuned well for dry and wet pavement. Snow, gravel, and dirt are more difficult surfaces to manage, which is why there are lots of threads like this one, and not just about Toyota products.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #92
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Never had any real issues with mine, just give yourself a bigger stopping distance and gradually slow down and don't mash on the brakes.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #93
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Never had any real issues with mine, just give yourself a bigger stopping distance and gradually slow down and don't mash on the brakes.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBhlQgvHmQ0
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #95
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Seems familiar . Haven't had the "giddy up" part of that trouble though.