Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS sucks in snow

Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Blueridge is on a distinguished road

Blueridge's Tacoma Gallery
ABS sucks in snow

I recall reading other posts on this. Is there a solution? Very low, ie crawl speed, slight downgrade, apPly brakes, it just pulses and keeps going and going and going.... Never, ever had a vehicle that acted like this in the snow. Fucking pathetic. If I test drove in the snow and this is all there is, I would have never purchased.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Search out TW member Landphil's ABS bypass mod
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I was a little surprised when my first ABS vehicle (GMC Safari) kept on rolling through the stop sign. It is F'n stupid, let's invent brakes that don't stop. Smart, for sure.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
I was a little surprised when my first ABS vehicle (GMC Safari) kept on rolling through the stop sign. It is F'n stupid.
Yes but it's soooooo much safer when a computer takes over your ability to drive because it KNOWS exactly what YOU need..
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Thanks. I drive a new Tahoe at work and it stops on a dime in similar conditions.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How much are you getting paid to say that every time lol or am I just rereading posts ha
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
How much are you getting paid to say that every time lol or am I just rereading posts ha
Haha , I can't disclose my financial arrangements with the One Bob
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
I figured if you didn't have ABS your wheels would lock up anyways prohibiting you from stopping and lose the ability to steer your vehicle...ABS is better then nothing IMO... anyone show me a factory installed system that can stop on bare ice ..
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge View Post
Thanks. I drive a new Tahoe at work and it stops on a dime in similar conditions.
Yes , I find the ABS system in the Tacoma overly sensitive in snow as well
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I figured if you didn't have ABS your wheels would lock up anyways prohibiting you from stopping and lose the ability to steer your vehicle...ABS is better then nothing IMO... anyone show me a factory installed system that can stop on bare ice ..
I would prefer to manually modulate the brake , once it locks up , to let it off , and gradually ease back into it .

This ABS system just pulses like crazy and will not disengage
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Special Edition Member

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would prefer to manually modulate the brake , once it locks up , to let it off , and gradually ease back into it .

This ABS system just pulses like crazy and will not disengage
I agree its overly sensitive but I guess id rather have it then not have it..sometimes I feel like I'm getting a pedicure with how crazy it pulsates
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #12

Quote:
sometimes I feel like I'm getting a pedicure

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree its overly sensitive but I guess id rather have it then not have it..sometimes I feel like I'm getting a pedicure with how crazy it pulsates
I would rather not have it on snow

I'm OK with it on pavement

My first reaction when I get a lock up on snow is to let off the brake and get the tire rolling , then ease back onto the brake

This ABS system needs you to mash the brake and hope for the best
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
On my second 05 I installed a switch inline with the ABS fuse. I used spade connectors to plug into the fuse slots and had spade connectors holding the fuse. Basically when I flipped the switch it was like I pulled the fuse. The ABS light would come on and would stay on until I shut the truck off and restarted it with the switch reset. But I could stop the damn truck! My first 05 had better tires and wasn't AS bad but it sucked too. I've been driving in snow for 25 years in several different types of vehicles and nothing is as bad as the ABS in these tacomas in my experience. The ABS in my 89 BMW actually works like it should and it can stop in the snow. These trucks just keep rolling, and rolling, and rolling right out into traffic, past your turn, etc. Pull the fuse and drive it in the snow and see what I mean. Much better. Thankfully my 96 doesn't even have ABS.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge View Post
Found it

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5324525-post.html
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would rather not have it on snow

I'm OK with it on pavement
I was shocked by how sensitive it was on a wet road. The truck was new to me at the time and I know to expect it now, but it still comes on a little early for my tastes. I haven't gotten to experience on snow yet. I usually get the Tahoe out when the roads are snowy.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
I was shocked by how sensitive it was on a wet road. The truck was new to me at the time and I know to expect it now, but it still comes on a little early for my tastes. I haven't gotten to experience on snow yet. I usually get the Tahoe out when the roads are snowy.
It saved my skin twice in full lock ups on pavement
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Do you guys that find the ABS overly sensitive all have Sports?

I find the ABS on my Off Road to be less active than previous vehicles I've owned. I'm a fairly aggressive driver and I think the ABS only kicked in once briefly on a very icy patch at a stoplight. I can stop really well and the ABS doesn't normally even try to activate, or at least that I can tell at all.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
Do you guys that find the ABS overly sensitive all have Sports?

I find the ABS on my Off Road to be less active than previous vehicles I've owned. I'm a fairly aggressive driver and I think the ABS only kicked in once briefly on a very icy patch at a stoplight. I can stop really well and the ABS doesn't normally even try to activate, or at least that I can tell at all.
I have a Sport

are you talking about driving on snow other than your one instance on ice ?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from my first snow drive in my truck. I have the abs kill mod done and from what i saw during my "testing" is the abs is over sensitive and having it off in the snow/ ice, I stopped much quicker with the system turned off, even mashing the brakes and skidding to a stop seemed better than with the abs on. Also...finally experienced duratracs in the snow. Worked great, even making some first tracks through some fresh powder up to my sliders.