Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Prerunner and snow experience

Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
prerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
prerunner11's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner and snow experience

I finally got a chance to test out my prerunner with some of the white stuff on two separate occasions over the weekend. I had ~150lbs of sand and cargo in bed, full tank of gas and stock dueler HT's w/ ~15k miles on them.

The first time there was probably an inch or two of slush. This was my first time in my prerunner with snow so I was testing out the waters. VSC would kick in any time I gave it too much skinny pedal, especially going around turns. If I kept it slow and steady, even on inclines, it was quiet and it just kept truckin'.

Something I noticed was that the VSC light would blink sometimes, but only a couple times would the "grinding" noise from the engine occur that cut power. I'm guessing this is VSC warning you with the blinking light without actually engaging.

I was also surprised how VSC didn't always kick in when doing donuts. I read the user manual again and I didn't realize VSC took steering direction into consideration. I think when I was going in circles (bigger donuts) and the steering wheel was turned a certain way the VSC thought things were "okay". Maybe I wasn't giving enough gas.

The second time there was about 3 inches on the ground, below freezing. This time my route had more inclines. Vehicles were spinning all over the road, including the inclines. I kept the rpm's low in Drive (around 1k rpm), and the VSC din't kick in at all. I didn't even need to engage AutoLSD, which I was ready to on the inclines where I might not have gotten enough traction to get up the hill.

This might seem puny to guys further up north, but it was good to get a feel of whats possible. I'm hoping to get some more snow to push the limit again. Any comments/similar experiences welcome!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
HomerLovesFire has a spectacular aura aboutHomerLovesFire has a spectacular aura about

Firefighter: Lieutenant
HomerLovesFire's Tacoma Gallery
My PreRunner handles great in the snow. It's a double cab so the extra weight helps. The bottom line is with the v6 engine, a good set of tires, a little weight in the back, and a light foot on the pedal will get you anywhere you want to go.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
nobescare is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
nobescare's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner

4 - 60 lb sand socks and good tires and knowing how to drive in the snow helps. currently running Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT's on the truck
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Always good to get a feel of what your truck can do in the snow. Maybe bring some traction aids just in case the inevitable might happen.

I find in 2wd, using the AutoLSD certainly helps while climbing my driveway when the snow starts getting deep or getting me started a little easier at a snow covered intersection.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
prerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
prerunner11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
Always good to get a feel of what your truck can do in the snow. Maybe bring some traction aids just in case the inevitable might happen.

I find in 2wd, using the AutoLSD certainly helps while climbing my driveway when the snow starts getting deep or getting me started a little easier at a snow covered intersection.
Traction aids besides sand and a shovel?

How much snow is down for you to need AutoLSD to get started?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner11 View Post
Traction aids besides sand and a shovel?

How much snow is down for you to need AutoLSD to get started?
Waffle boards, pieces of carpet, extra lumber, hilift and chain and a snatch strap are a few extra things that may come in handy. Only if you feel like getting crazy tho.

Anything around a few inches of snow and i'll start hitting the ALSD button.